Sticky gas pedal...

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a sticky gas pedal and high idle RPM (1250) after I installed new TB. I've been looking into the problem and and checked to make sure that the gas cable is not caught up anywhere. I realized that the throttle linkage is not coming all the way back to the TB, there is a gap of about 3-4 millimeters. The little black screw on the TB at which linkage resting is all the way down, it is now not sticking out at all. I adjusted the throttle cable hinge that is mounted on the manifold so the cable got loose and linkage moved and completely rests against the TB. However, once I push the gas pedal or linkage with my hands it does not come back all the way back, but instead stops at the previous position of 3-4mm close to TB and that keeps RPM at 1250 or even 1500RPM. More important I am getting a sticky gas pedal now. The car starts at normal 800 RPM, however, when I try to spring the linkage with my hands or even try to push a gas pedal I feel that linkage or gas pedal is kind of sticky. I didn't have that problem before :-(.
What could that be and how to fix it?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of TB you installed but there are a ton of posts about this problem with a common aftermarket TB. Do a search and you'll find them.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of TB you installed but there are a ton of posts about this problem with a common aftermarket TB. Do a search and you'll find them.

I did a search on sticky gas pedal and found only one post :dunno:.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the future generations :), I wanted to post what I found out about the sticky gas pedal and idle hang.
Yesterday, I once again examined the TB, linkage and throttle cable. After careful examination I figured out that the TB butterfly adjusted in the TB very good with even gaps all around and spring on TB gives enough resistance, so I decided to leave it alone. However, I noticed that even if I leave throttle cable completely loose, the gas pedal and throttle linkage still gets sticky and get stock. I unbolted everything to the "loose" state and ha all problems gone. So I started tightening things up one by one, first I tighten up the throttle cable bracket on the manifold, gas pedal still good no stickiness and no idle hang. Than I tighten up TB - all four bolts and dam gas pedal sticky again and idle hangs return. So I figured its got to be something about position of the TB on the manifold. I loosened bolts up again and all problems gone again, no sticky gas pedal, no idle hang. After much of a play with the bolts tightness on TB I ended up tying up TB bolts to a merely few notches harder than I can do it with my hand. That was the only way for the TB not to hang and for gas pedal not to be sticky. Is this normal? I think I remember that the stock TB bolts were tight up much tighter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery