Stock battery life

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi friends ! I still have stock battery on my '99 GTS and, despite unfrequent driving, it still keeps working fine.
How long should I expect in terms of life-span ??

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same year car and with a battery tender mine is as stong as ever.

On a previous car my battery life with a tender was over five years.

Are you attending the Corvette meet at Hockenheim???

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I won't, but I will probably join the Corvette meeting in Italy on the 25th of April, as soon as I will be sure to be welcome. Sometime we are as welcome as a breadstick in the eye among Corvette owners !!!

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really got to be a car inthusiast to have a sportscar in a European city. The countryside wasn't bad, but the urban areas were my worst nightmare, and your government is really doing a number on you with fuel prices.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the battery goes it just goes without warning. If you have four years on it, replace it. Don't get stranded like I did.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm one of those on borrowed time. :D 97 GTS sold in Feb of 98 and it still has the stock battery. I've kept it on on a Battery tender and haven't had any problems. I know its like playing russian roulette with a semi-auto. Optima red top is next on the agenda. For now the Battery Tender is like a respirator keeping life support.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way, a battery never goes just like that.
The car will usually get difficult to cranck when left for about a week. If the battery is OK., the car will cranck over even when stored all winter.

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That depends on how long "all winter" is. Unless the battery is disconnected, there is a small load on the battery which can take it low enough (depending on the vehicle and the electronics in the vehicle, that can be a few months...) over time for the car not to start.

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I kept waiting and waiting and before I knew it 8 years had gone by on the original battery.I went down to the local Dodge dealer and put back in it exactly what I had taken out.Of course then again, the clutch hydraulic slave unit didn't last as long as the original battery.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way, a battery never goes just like that.
The car will usually get difficult to cranck when left for about a week.

Do you own a Viper? If so, don't bother changing the battery until it goes dead. You'll experience what I and numerous other Viper owners have experienced. I believe it has to do with not having enough juice to properly fire up the computer and get the ball rolling.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to replace my '95 battery at 33,000 miles, in 1999 (under warranty). It quit cranking the car rather suddenly, despite what someone else said (but this is obviously on a daily driver). I had one warning of batter trouble about two weeks prior to it leaving me stranded at a restaraunt. The second battery (stock mopar) lasted past 65,000 miles and three years.

While I agree that its not something you just want to replace for no reason, I do agree that a battery WILL die eventually. Just when it dies is something you can't predict.