Stock exhaust setup... why?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the stock exhaust on the Gen 3 is so elaborate? Why would they run pipe from one side all the way to the other side leaving a ton of pipe in the middle? I would think it must be because they wanted a crossover pipe, etc., but man does it make things hot in the cabin. I gotta change--it was a cool night and I still had to run the air conditioner in order to not sweat (and I did anyway).

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they did it to help with the sound...so it doesn't sound like two 5 cylinders, and the little H-pipe helps even it out. Unfortunately, it just made everything hot, and still sounds like two 5 cylinders

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had to do it that way to meet the federal noise guidelines, after they went to the VVT motor, it was controllable thru the valve timing, and they could remove the crossover....

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks guys. I need to do something about this. I don't want too loud, but a little louder would not hurt. I hate drone, so anything that produces drone is out. I'll do some searching on older threads, and if anyone has any ideas to share I would appreciate it. I can't spend a ton, but I have to get rid of that heat.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly Paul, Corsa is going to be the only one that will eliminate drone. OEM 08 exhaust will certainly help with the heat, but won't really be loud enough for the money spent(plus the tips look awful!)

Just wait out a used set of Corsa's, although they don't come up often...

F

FrgMstr

FWIW, my Corsa catbacks with stock cats. No drone on the road, great sound. Brought down my cockpit temps considerably. Even my wife noticed how much cooler the backs of the seats are now.

http://vimeo.com/24790860

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another quick question. First, the Corsa's sound great so Hank you have a good idea and thanks for the sond clip FRGMSTR.

How about the Cats? I know on the Gen 1 & 2 cars I had those things were terrible at air flow and really made things hot. So, are the Cats on the Gen 3 much improved to where people don't see the need to change them? Most stuff I have read has been changes after the Cat...

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you only want more sound (little more "loudness"), less heat, and a better tone, stop at the Corsa (#14176). You don't need to mess with the cats if you're only looking for an answer to your original question.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All cats get hot-- very hot; it's part of the catalytic process. While some of the high-flow cats sold for the Viper throw off less heat than a stocker, they also increase the sound level (which you may or may not want). On longer drives, the heat from any cat will start coming through the footwells. I keep the A/C fully directed at the lower outlets, especially with the convertible top down. Some here on this forum have experimented with thermal barrier sheets with good results, both under the carpet and under the car/above the exhaust.

I think this engine could benefit from a crossover pipe, but right behind the header collectors. Unfortunately, not enough room or ground clearance to really do this, at least not with a round section pipe! And the header collectors themselves are so far apart compared to most conventional V8 muscle cars, the effect of the crossover/balance tube would be diminished somewhat. Add in the extra heat and it's not worth the trouble.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A used Gen IV set will work fine for reducing heat without the drone. Going to Hi Flo cats will increase drone. I don't know if having Corsas and Hi Flo cats will eliminate the drone. I believe others have said it does. My firsthand experience with stock system without crossovers and mixing them with headers/hi flo cats will give you crazy drone. It cost me $4500 to find that out.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A used Gen IV set will work fine for reducing heat without the drone. Going to Hi Flo cats will increase drone. I don't know if having Corsas and Hi Flo cats will eliminate the drone. I believe others have said it does. My firsthand experience with stock system without crossovers and mixing them with headers/hi flo cats will give you crazy drone. It cost me $4500 to find that out.

I had ceramic high flow cats and Corsa on my Gen 2 and there was little if any drone. So, I would imagine the same for the Gen 3. Corsa's designs their systems to eliminate drone and from my experience they do a pretty good job. Now, if you put metallic substrate high flow Cats it will get very loud and you will have some drone even with the Corsa--especially in a coupe. That has been my experience. Now, I will say that my ears for whatever reason are very sensitive to low frequency noise, so to some it may not drone at all.

So, Viperbilliam, are you running just the Gen 4 setup without the other stuff to get rid of the drone? Sorry you had such an expensive adventure.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've experienced "drone" on some motorcycle/exhaust combinations and I can vouch that it is a headache producer. Seems to be related to a resonance occuring at certain engine RPM ranges. So thank you all that have gone down a path at much $expense$ and shared your experiences with the rest of us. I can say that the stock headers and stock cats with the Corsa Track 2.5"-inlet setup does NOT drone on my sample of one '05 Gen III. :cool:

pittVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have headers/hi-flow RT cats(1 set)/3in Corsa Track on a gen3 paxton vert and do not notice any drone. I just came back from a 10hr trip each way to ART for a new tune/check. It does great at cruise hwy cruise speeds but is loud when you put your foot in it. Great combo. ART did a great job if anyone needs any tune/dyno work<very pleased>.