Stock GTS + Drag Strip = VOIDED WARRANTY?

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 96 GTS about a month ago. It has a Chrysler extended service plan still in effect until 2003. A week after I bought the car I took it to the local drag strip to get familiar with the car as well as to have some fun. I made about four or five 1/8th mile passes. The car ran fine and everything went well. About a week later I took the car in to get serviced. When I went to pick it up the service writer tells me that the tech found a "clank, clunk" noise in the tranny and that the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and possibly the whole transmission would need to be replaced. She also tells me that a few guys from the dealership including a couple "viper techs" saw me at the drag strip and she had already informed the warranty people. She goes on to say that my entire drivetrain warranty is now voided. I called the warranty hotline and they said it is voided. I told them my story and the head guy says that the contract is still valid but the repairs in the future will be looked at very carefully. That basically means I'm screwed. I just can't believe that one trip to a track in a completely stock viper can void a warranty. If anyone has any advice that would be great.
Oh yeah ,by the way, that was a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't heard one noise from the tranny. The car is running just great. Can one unexperienced "viper tech" really cause this much trouble?
Gary Javo

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad the cars ok,those jealous losers.Get your popcorn ready this topic's gonna flame
You must be registered for see images

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like they dont like people with Vipers. I had a dealer tell me that they dont want to work on the car so I went to Maxwell Dodge in Austin and they are the greatest. As far as them telling you the warranty is out is a crock. People drive their cars just as hard with street racing. The factory is not stupid. They know what people do with the one of the most powerful vehicles on the road. Sound like you need to find a viper dealer that understands. I have never had my dealership give me a rashon of shi _ like that. I would tell them to kiss my A**.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne,are U up all night with a newborn too.Sounds like U answered your own ?.There are some dealers that don't sell vipers,therefore don't get any,you'd get better service at toyota.I would write a letter to PR dept.@ dodge about em,they cost U time($) and made U feel bad for owning their supercar.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
were you out there with full drag slicks on dropping the clutch at 6k rpm's?? this is the only way I can see them having ANY justification.....

if not, these people are Incompetent.... its crazy to try and void your warranty for going to the dragstrip..... especially when dodge sponsors drag racing events for vipers across the country..... anyone hear of these Regional Rendezvous going on????? I bet they would have a great showing if everyone knew that the dealers would start voiding people's warranty for showing up.....

furthermore, is the viper the only car that has it's 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET and MPH stated in the manual that everyone receives with their car??

do they have ********* proof that it was actually YOU at the dragstrip with THAT car? did they copy the VIN # or license plate number down?? will, "I think I saw him at the track" hold up in court??? doubt it.....

you should start making a big STINK faster than your car does 0-60.... once your car is flagged in the system, you'll be screwed no matter what dealer you take your car to....

Brooks

http://viper.miamisci.org

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a related subject.... also check with your insurance agent. I guarantee you, you are not covered under your insurance at a drag strip or race track. Someone hits you or anything happens to you personally .. you're on your own. Be careful.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2FAST -
Call your local region VCA Pres. I'll bet he can make a couple of calls on your behalf and get some direction. I believe that everyones warranty states that it will be voided if the cars are used for racing. However, Dodge also knows what the Viper owner does with the car and they encourage that to some extent.

Also, get another dealer. There is no way that they should be reporting such stuff to the warranty folks - especially since they didn't even find a problem with your tranny - (what nerve!). There are Viper dealers out there that can treat you reasonably - and that's not what you received.

Good luck - hang in there and go about this logically - not emotionally.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, you are right on the $. You void everything going to the track. Break it there and you bought it. As far as someone from the dealership seeing you there and calling you on it really blows. I'm with toofast, write a letter, see what comes of it. If nothing, try to get your $ back and buy another warranty from another company.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repeat after me: "uhhhhh, that wasn't me at the track, that must've been somebody else... I was reading to blind children on Saturday and was at church praying for Kid'97GTS's lost soul on Sunday. I seem to remember this problem happening on the freeway..."

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They didn't get my VIN and I'm not sure if they got the plate # but I did talk to a couple of guys that know me that I later found out work at Savannah Dodge. Even if I would have known there were Dodge people there I would have still run the car. I had no idea that a completely stock car on stock tires being driven "respectfully" for lack of a better word (no burn outs or grinding gears) would affect the warranty. I have all of the runs on video to prove it was not abused. Some of the "little guys" (Neon techs)LOL over at Savannah Dodge started saying that they were there and they saw me doing multiple burouts and missing gears. IT'S NOT TRUE. I have the video to prove it. The service writer, who acts like she just can't stand to see me coming, repeated the missing gears, burnout story to the warranty guy. I am not a member but I will be by tomorrow. I sure hope we can come up with something. Thanks.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamie Parker96GTS:
I guarantee you, you are not covered under your insurance at a drag strip or race track.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on how you set up the claim. Most companies have no problem with auto-x, which is also considered a time trial. If anything ever happens, tell 'em you were running against the clock in a parking lot. So your car runs 10's in the "driveway" next to the parking lot? Big deal. Just NEVER mention speed - EVER!

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there's a two things that tick me off about your situation. the first is the "tattle tails" that worked at dodge. are they going to call your mom next and tell them what you did. I'm suprised they didn't have you grounded. the second is the BS about the voiding of the warranty. these guys at the dealer can warranty pretty much anything they want. there only becomes a problem with the warranty until they decide there is. It's the same story in any big company you deal with today - like calling a customer service number and trying to get some charge off a bill. they can do it it's just a question of whether they want to do it or not. It sounds to me like they just want what everyone else does, $$$$$$$$. sad.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really is BS if some dealership busy-body decides that they will make the calls needed to make sure that your warranty is voided. It's really short sighted. If you were not happy with your Dodge experience...you surely would not buy another, especially from them. And it would seem to me that a warranty repair should be fine with them...they'll get paid for the job. I guess your service writer is on some power trip. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I JUST got back from the drag strip. My buddy with the Renntech CLK60 went as well as a couple guys with c5's. Ron let me drive the Renntech. I got an 8.52 @ 83.8MPH out of it. Traction was a major problem. I took my car but it stayed parked. It's really $hitty that I'm afraid to run my car when everyone else around me is livin it up. I was soooooo tempted to run the car since a buddy of mine with a c5 said "You might be able to take me" but figured I shouldn't push my luck. By the way he ran a 9.30 @ 81.? MPH w/ K&N's and Corsa exhaust and just a couple weeks ago I ran a 7.9? @ 92.? MPH completly stock. I almost got in the snake to show him what the real deal was but had enough self control to keep it parked. That *****! Thanks for the support.