STOLEN: 2002 Dodge Viper GTS - Henderson NV (Las Vegas)

acarroll7715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the incorrect forum, if so mods can you please relocate it to the correct one.

My 2002 Dodge Viper GTS was stolen this evening by a young white male in his early 20's. Had tattoo's on his left an right hands and left wrist. Quick summary - we went on a test drive and closed the deal, we proceeded back to my house to count the cash and sign the paperwork. I ran out to the garage while my girlfriend was printing out the bill of sale. He took the keys, ran out the door and sped off in the car. All authorities have been contacted, any help from my fellow viper enthusiasts would be great. Please see details and pictures below.

2002 Dodge Viper GTS 263/500 Final Edition
Red/White stripes
Black/red seats
Stock except for muffler delete
Front bumper on driver side had a small chunk missing
CA License plate
VIN: 1B3ER69E02V102693

Any info please give me a call at 925-354-3622

You must be registered for see images attach

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****.

Hope you get it back undamaged.............

then sell the car to someone else.
That bozo doesn't deserve to own a Viper.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the incorrect forum, if so mods can you please relocate it to the correct one.

My 2002 Dodge Viper GTS was stolen this evening by a young white male in his early 20's. Had tattoo's on his left an right hands and left wrist. Quick summary - we went on a test drive and closed the deal, we proceeded back to my house to count the cash and sign the paperwork. I ran out to the garage while my girlfriend was printing out the bill of sale. He took the keys, ran out the door and sped off in the car. All authorities have been contacted

When you went on the test drive, who was driving...you or him? I damn sure hope it was you for several obvious reasons. When you got out of the car, where did you put the keys? What prompted you to "run" out to the garage while your girlfriend was printing out the bill of sale, and did that happen before or after he took the keys and ran out the door and sped off in the car? Was the car in the garage, driveway, or parked in the street? Was there e-mail and phone conversations with this guy prior to setting up the test drive or did he randomly walk up to your door and offer to buy your car...:rolleyes:? How old is your girl friend? How old are you? Have the two of you been getting along in recent weeks? Did you have the title in hand or was the car financed?

Last edited:

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss....But I was curious; was the 20 year old the same person who sold you the car? ( your summary is a little vague )...If not..Then was he with the person who sold you the car...If not...Then how did he happen to be at your house during the transaction...This sounds like some type of set-up..But I don't want to jump to conclusions without all the facts...If you can... please provide more details....

I hope you catch...The Bastard!! :(

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to Henderson many times. That place is crawling with cops. It's hard to believe that if you called the cops the minute he took off, they would be on the radio to alert 50 cruisers immediately. And a red Viper with white stripes ain't exactly inconspicuous. They would spot him before he got far. It seems most guys in that situation would have tied you guys up...or worse...and simply cruised the car to its final destination. Of course, it would really help if you posted more details. As it stands, I'm a little suspicious.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course I just read a news article saying the area you live in has the highest rate of auto theft in the nation...

OP
OP
A

acarroll7715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you went on the test drive, who was driving...you or him? I damn sure hope it was you for several obvious reasons. When you got out of the car, where did you put the keys? What prompted you to "run" out to the garage while your girlfriend was printing out the bill of sale, and did that happen before or after he took the keys and ran out the door and sped off in the car? Was the car in the garage, driveway, or parked in the street? Was there e-mail and phone conversations with this guy prior to setting up the test drive or did he randomly walk up to your door and offer to buy your car...:rolleyes:? How old is your girl friend? How old are you? Have the two of you been getting along in recent weeks? Did you have the title in hand or was the car financed?

I'm not sure some of these questions are relevant however here's the answers. I am 27 and she is 28 (I own all vehicles in our household - 07 Z06, 08 CTS, 05 Mini Cooper, 08 Escalade, 02 Viper) and I have no relationship issues. We both drove the car as I said no test drives without proof of funds, he had a extremely large roll of cash so I agreed to let him drive for part of the test drive. The car was for sale on craigslist and we met up to show/test drive the car, just like any typical private party transaction. The title is in hand and now in the hands of police as they are attempting to lift thumb prints off of it. We were getting ready to close the deal in my kitchen after we agreed on a sale price and then we noticed I did not have a bill of sale so my gf was in our office printing it out with him, I went to the garage to grab old service records and invoices to include with the sale. I then came back in and the two of them were still printing the bill of sale. I went to use the restroom while waiting and at that time he walked out of our office, swiped the keys and backed the car out of the garage and sped off, my girlfriend said that he just walked out to the garage and I heard the car accelerating down the street. I attempted to pursue in my Escalade as it was out front however he pulled away from me hard. If I were in my Z06 it would have been a different story.....

If you are going to imply some type of conspiracy theory or having suspicions about what happened, please move along as this will not help me recover my car. I am a very reputable member in the corvette community, I'm sorry if I don't have the credibility on the Viper forums (though several viper members do know me). The call was placed to 911 2-3 minutes within me getting my my car to pursue him as I needed to safely navigate out of my neighborhood. And as far as Henderson is "crawling" with cops, only two were in the area and able to respond.

At this point, I am just asking the Viper community for help and to keep an eye out for my car and/or potential parts off of it. I am now working with the VIPER team (stolen cars unit - ironic of the name right?) of the LVMPD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

acarroll7715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss....But I was curious; was the 20 year old the same person who sold you the car? ( your summary is a little vague )...If not..Then was he with the person who sold you the car...If not...Then how did he happen to be at your house during the transaction...This sounds like some type of set-up..But I don't want to jump to conclusions without all the facts...If you can... please provide more details....

I hope you catch...The Bastard!! :(

I purchased the car at an auction nearly a year ago, no seller was ever involved. We initially met at an Albertson's as he wanted to be in a public place as he was carrying cash to buy the car then I brought him to my house to close the deal after the test drive as I figured it'd be safer being in my own home rather than some parking lot at 8pm at night to do a cash transaction and he agreed to this.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any cash deal should be done at the Police Department. People have been killed taking a boat for a test ride.
Any more you need a few Hells Angels around to keep the peace, and everyone honest, or find an off duty police
officer to help secure the transaction. It is more than worth a few dollars to pay for this type of insurance.

Sorry for your loss. I do hope this person is caught.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I own all vehicles in our household - 07 Z06, 08 CTS, 05 Mini Cooper, 08 Escalade, 02 Viper) I did not have a bill of sale so my gf was in our office printing it out with him, I went to the garage to grab old service records and invoices to include with the sale. I then came back in and the two of them were still printing the bill of sale. I went to use the restroom while waiting

You have 5 cars...obviously your not a stranger to the paper work entailed in a vehicle transaction, yet you have no bill of sale prepared. You left your girlfriend alone not once, but twice with an absolute stranger who had "jail house tats" on his hands. What's wrong with you man? You seem to have bigger problems here than losing your Cream Puff, which by the way, had it been a 96-99 Viper it would have made the whole damn house shake upon start up. I don't believe a word of this horse $hit and even if it is by some stretch of the imagination true, you learned a valuable lesson. And who the hell in their right mind would sell their Viper over their Z06? <<-----For that alone you get no sympathy from me on these forums.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting facts. I guess things are different in Vegas. If someone shows up in Miami with a *** of cash and prison tats, the first issue is whether or not the cash constitutes proceeds from a specified unlawful activity and is, therefore, forfeitable 0r, worse, perhaps counterfeit. Also, receiving more than $10,000 in cash would have triggered an obligation on your part to file a Form 8300 with the IRS. Failure to do so is a criminal offense. And if you try to structure the transaction to evade the reporting requirement, that is a felony under Title 31.

OP
OP
A

acarroll7715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have 5 cars...obviously your not a stranger to the paper work entailed in a vehicle transaction, yet you have no bill of sale prepared. You left your girlfriend alone not once, but twice with an absolute stranger who had "jail house tats" on his hands. What's wrong with you man? You seem to have bigger problems here than losing your Cream Puff, which by the way, had it been a 96-99 Viper it would have made the whole damn house shake upon start up. I don't believe a word of this horse $hit and even if it is by some stretch of the imagination true, you learned a valuable lesson. And who the hell in their right mind would sell their Viper over their Z06? <<-----For that alone you get no sympathy from me on these forums.

Are you just hell bent on being a ******* or what? Believe what you want and keep your comments to yourself as they do not help the situation at all. Perhaps go watch a few more episodes of Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory and ponder if the moon landing was real as you are just wasting space here.

As far as addressing his tattoos, I am describing the suspect so that someone who may run into him can get a positive ID. Also I have no judgement towards tattoos as I have a full sleeve however I deem mine as "quality" as far as how detailed my art is and can tell lower quality work.

And why would I sell my Viper over my Z06? Because my Z06 is a better overall car. You can praise the Viper all you want (seeing as how this is a Viper forum I expect it) however it lacks in pretty much every category (speed/power/braking/handling/fuel economy/creature comforts) vs. a fully built C6 Z06 excluding aesthetic appeal. And if you can't agree to the fact, I guess ignorance is bliss in your case?

Anyways, I have been working with LVMPD and we have a potential suspect. I am awaiting on more pictures from them to get a positive ID as the photo I currently possess I cannot 100% ID him.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And why would I sell my Viper over my Z06? Because my Z06 is a better overall car. You can praise the Viper all you want (seeing as how this is a Viper forum I expect it) however it lacks in pretty much every category (speed/power/braking/handling/fuel economy/creature comforts) vs. a fully built C6 Z06 excluding aesthetic appeal. And if you can't agree to the fact, I guess ignorance is bliss in your case?

.........https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The facts you have divulged relating to the situation are in question. Now you are defensive...even lashing out at our beloved car. Maybe the dear gentleman who had the massive set of balls that stole it is more deserving of it.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I am very sorry for your loss bro and hope she is found without any damage. Absolutely gorgeous car and sticks out like a sore thumb. Final edition 2002 as well. Very rare. I believe the actual number produced of those was 360. Free2go is right of course. You be crazy for selling her over your Z06. Just sayin. Best of luck and do keep us posted.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyways, I have been working with LVMPD and we have a potential suspect. I am awaiting on more pictures from them to get a positive ID as the photo I currently possess I cannot 100% ID him.

Good to hear ! I've been following the story on the other forum. Much less judgemental tone there; but, that's how internet forums are. You never can tell how "the room" will respond. Pretty typical for the new person to be deemed a liar or a troll untill they prove themselves innocent. At least you have good credibility on the other forum.

I got lucky 20? years ago when I had a 300ZX TT stolen in a sales transaction. Luckily, I had a visit a few days later from a local detective and an FBI agent with a thick folder on the guy and a photo line up prepared. I wasn't his first pidgeon. I am now hyper careful.

Even your incident has made me think of more ways to protect myself. I'm glad that you posted details.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong here. I have sympathy for anyone who gets their baby stolen. But I also wanted to play a little devils advocate and explore the other side of the coin a bit because of the way the facts were laid out. Now of course, things are a bit clearer to me. OP, how much was the agreed upon price with Mr. Big Balls? This is a very important question because I am quite aware of the approximate value of a "very large roll of cash". Also, you went through the effort of meeting him at a neutral location, for safety reasons no doubt....then wind up bringing him right into the comfort of your home and proceed to leave him alone with your girlfriend. Also, when you "went to use the restroom", did you make doody?

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if you went doody in the bathroom, does your girlfriend keep those "wet wipes" on top of the tank? Please let me know because it's a Segway into my next question.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you have good credibility on the other forum.

Had he not screwed up and mentioned he had a girl friend, the Las Vegas VOA chapter would have been scouring the streets...investigating every dirty crack...and crevice.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The facts you have divulged relating to the situation are in question. Now you are defensive...even lashing out at our beloved car. Maybe the dear gentleman who had the massive set of balls that stole it is more deserving of it.

I think it was viper club member any of the clubs that just wanted to free the viper from your possession because you did not appreciate it?

OP
OP
A

acarroll7715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car has been recovered! Thanks to the help of an anonymous neighbor who reached out to me through my Craigslist ad. I can't go into full details for legal reasons but basically I acquired the address, did a drive-by and the idiot was working on the car in his garage with the door wide open. The car drives fine and nothing has been removed except for the front air induction piece which they painted maroon (***?) and I have a sweet rattle can black racing stripe on my hood with a ton of overspray. I have a lot of great body shop connections who will help me get it back up to par. The thieve and his comrades basically steal cars and just drive them around acting like it's their car. There were other vehicles at the location which he will be racking up additional charges for but I cannot comment on at this time. A news article will probably be published soon and I'll link it here for more details.

This is all thanks to a good man who reached out to me, I'm giving him a very nice cash reward this evening even though he is trying to not accept it in which case I'm going to send his family on a vacation instead.

Thanks for the help and support guys excluding Free2go who just happens to be a bitter dick.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you got her back man. Guess the guy had more balls than brains.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! That is totally awesome news man! Obviously this was a horrific experience but I am so happy that you found her without any major damage. Best of luck with her in the future whether you sell or keep her and God bless!