Strange noise

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 RT/10 and the battery died...charged it up and took it out today...On the way home from work I noticed a strange noise...Sounded like feedback through the speakers. But it only happened when I was driving along and took my foot off the gas while it was in gear. Put the car in neutral and no noise, giving it gas...No noise, take my foot off the pedal and noise!!! It sounds like a feedback and I can make the noise vary in pitch as I slowly put my foot on the gas!!!

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Bob

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it a grounding issue?? Mybe check the amp ground and make sure there's no potential between it and the car frame? Could be why your battery died in the first place...different potentials can bleed your juice.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
rae661 has had this car for a long time, so i suspect that he would know most of the usual sounds by now...especially tranny and diff.

I agree with scottmarston...electrical in nature...and, given the recent battery failure, I'll go out on a limb and default to battery itself...it's always the battery until proven otherwise !! :) I'm suspecting alternator is working overtime beating on a dead battery...and that is the new sound that you are hearing in the radio...keeping in mind the huge role the battery serves as a buffer in the electrical system.

So...how old is battery? How does it test at the battery terminals? What is status of battery cables and connectors?

Bite the bullet...pull the covers, inspect//test all of above (including alternator)...get new battery and see what happens next.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you do as plum says, first read ViperTony's great writeup on changing batttery, cleaning & restoring battery tray as posted in the Illustrated Upgrade section as it has pics, text, and tool list...all very handy to know BEFORE starting if you have not done this before. Good luck.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT/10 had a DIN cable go bad...it produced a bit of noise in the speakers from that.

OP
OP
R

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I have been away...The noise is not from the speakers..I just meant to give some idea of the noise..I turned off the radio and it was still there...so it was odd...I would agree with normal Tranny noise if I have heard it before...I am very aware of my car and the noises so---I am aware of any new sounds...Thanks for the help...I'll double check the battery and the cables...It is a fairly new battery...but now that I think of it...the second battery I had only lasted a year...this is my third, so maybe I do have an issue with the alternator...I'll check that too.

Thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I have been away...The noise is not from the speakers..I just meant to give some idea of the noise..I turned off the radio and it was still there...so it was odd...I would agree with normal Tranny noise if I have heard it before...I am very aware of my car and the noises so---I am aware of any new sounds...Thanks for the help...I'll double check the battery and the cables...It is a fairly new battery...but now that I think of it...the second battery I had only lasted a year...this is my third, so maybe I do have an issue with the alternator...I'll check that too.

Well, the gas off/on/trans-in-neutral symptoms don't lead me to the alternator at all. I'd choose trans or differential. If it has been a long time since last change, then I'd consider changing those fluids. Maybe you get a simple solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlindell