Stripe question...

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I went to check out a black/silver SRTC for a friend. It was in OK condition. Paint had LOTS of swirl marks, the sidesills inside the door were scuffed up and the engine bay was really dirty, but overall wasnt in too bad of condition.

What I did notice though was that the stripes were "chipped" on the edges, from front to back. The chips were worse in the front and top of the roof area, but there were also chips in the rear. This is something I have never seen on any striped car (Viper). Is this common to most striped cars? The car has just under 10k miles.

BTW, I had to inform them that the exhaust wasnt stock like they said it was. They were like, ***? Dummies.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's not a common condition as far as I can tell from my 7k mile blk/sil car. My stripes look perfect, but then again it seems that I take care of my car far better than the example you viewed.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you tell whether the stripes were painted on or vinyl? I've never seen painted stripes exhibit the kind of wear you describe. Both my cars, an 06 with 17,000 miles and an 08 with 4,000 are striped with no issues. The 06 has been ridden hard and put away wet.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you tell whether the stripes were painted on or vinyl? I've never seen painted stripes exhibit the kind of wear you describe. Both my cars, an 06 with 17,000 miles and an 08 with 4,000 are striped with no issues. The 06 has been ridden hard and put away wet.

There were definitely painted on. If the car gets posted again I will grab a pic and post it here.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, here are the pics of the car. If you look closely you can see some of the chipping. These pics are small, so you're not going to be able to see all what I was able to in person. IF these are vinyl, it fooled me, but I dont think they are. Heres a question though... IF they ARE vinyl; does vinyl chip?

Dodge : Viper:eBay Motors (item 220508798645 end time Nov-20-09 15:32:56 PST)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the way the stripes would 'chip' along the edges is if the paint was applied over a coating of wax. If the stripes were painted and then allowed to dry before removing the edging tape - they may chip along the edge depending on type of paint used.

Check at a body shop if you own/have the car as a Pro (I'm an amateur) would know and if the stripes can be touched the thickness, hardness, sheen, color etc. can aid in identification of material used. Vinyl removes easily with a heat gun. Paint would take sanding and removal if it was painted over wax. Then merely repaint the stripes wider to cover up the fix.

Ted

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ad says that, yes, but trust me, these guys didnt know much about the car.:rolleyes:

Really?!? That's one special car if you read the description...

"This 2006 Dodge Viper GTS is a car that you will have to see and hear in person to get the full experience."

That's a 1 of 1 right? :)