Striped my Hood

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I striped my hood using vinyl. I like using vinyl because it can be removed if you get tired of the stripe. I striped my previous Viper and when I sold the hood to a forum member he removed the vinyl to his taste.

I added the script to the side of the stripe because I think it gives it a more factory appearance.

I know in advance there are people who do not like stripes or vinyl, but I do.

Here are the pictures:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
W

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front Viper badge is taped on. Cut through the tape using some heavy fishing line, then clean off the remaining tape. You can buy the body tape and reapply the Badge.

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the stripe , but what is under the vents , as they really are beneficial for engine cooling and more, and they appear blocked off?!

Bill, I thought that as well, but it looks like we are looking right through to the carpeting on his floor, a function of the camera lens that brought the background forward.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice! the way you applied it, the hood kinda likes more musclecarlike, more edgy, it really pronounces the curves of the hood. How did you make the lining...without cutting your paint :)
You have one of the best colours there is BTW

OP
OP
W

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy,

I make a paper pattern first which is the hardest part of the job. I first lay out narrow tape on the hood to out line where the edge of the stripe will be then I use pieces of tracing paper, which I attach together, attached to the hood over the stripe area and follow the outline of the tape on the hood and apply narrow tape to the tracing paper. Remove the paper, cut the paper along the tape and you have the pattern. Tape the pattern to the underside of the vinyl and cut. Attaching the pieces of tracing paper to the hood is tricky, you can't use one large piece of paper because the area to be striped is not flat and a large piece of paper will wrinkle.

The side of the stripe appears to be straight but its not. The side line has a slight bulge to it which makes the paper pattern more difficult to make.

This is not a job everyone will be able to do but if it don't work out you only lose a little money for the supplies and your time. If you get it on the car and you don't like the results, it can be removed and no harm done.

I like changes that can be reversed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte