Stripes... NOT painted on after all?

RQ_SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I keep reading about whether factory stripes are painted on or not here and on the Alley...

Seems like the definitive word is that they are painted on.

The stripes in my VOI9 really seem to be glued on!

Never really felt up anyone else's stripes, but while shopping the 2 VOI9 cars I looked at both had definite edges to the stripes, front to back. Only reason I remember so clearly is because at the time I wasn't sold on the stripe and wanted to see if they could be removed.

Happened to be in my garage tonight and checked it out again, I am sure that if I wanted to I could lift the blue strip either from the front (under the lip on the open hood) or the rear (just above the license plate).

So... are the coupes different somehow? Or the stripes are an incredibly different paint that is so thick it makes it look like a sticker?

Actually at this stage I'm curious, a 100% white SRT has an appeal, so if removing the stripes doesn't leave a bad mark I might consider it... any thoughts?

Thanks,

RQ

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how are you going to remove that "vinyl stripe" that is clear coated over? Ya they are painted on 100% from the factory after the the base paint color so you will feel a bump.

OP
OP
R

RQ_SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see, so does that mean that they are in fact stripes glued over the paint, but then the factory clear coat is what makes them "whole", so to speak?

If that is the case, just out of curiousity if the stripes were yanked out (which again seems easy enough to do) what would one have to do to clean up? (apologies in advance for my ignorance on clear coat options)

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, so does that mean that they are in fact stripes glued over the paint, but then the factory clear coat is what makes them "whole", so to speak?

Is that a serious question?:lmao:

THE STRIPES ARE PAINTED ON THE CAR THEN CLEAR COATED OVER.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see it is a serious question, I spent a considerable amount of time checking this out on my car recently (06 coupe copperhead w/ black stripes) and yes they do appear slightly raised, and do alomst look like they could be peeled off!

But go ahead and try it and then you'll notice you can't peel them off, because they're paint. If they weren't there'd be no way to get them around those curved surfaces in the hood cowl and in the front fascia.

I think what happens is that they are painted OVER the regular paint, and probably in more than one coat, and then the clear is sprayed over all of that. So they do maintain a slight ridge.

The place they most look like sticker is on the roof at the front where they lead into the windshield. They sort of stop abruptly before the windsheild surround, and you can see the body color again for about a 1/4" before the windshield starts.

You can even see this in photos of the late model cars, including photos of the VOI9. If it wasn't for the curvy areas I would think they could be sticker that were cleared over, but in the end it's just thick paint on top of body color paint. Unless someone else has proof of something different...

It is funny because when you look at them close and feel them, it really does seem like a sticker at first!

OP
OP
R

RQ_SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Austin, yes that was a serious question.

Viperdude, thanks for the info. I'll take your word for it, the rige seems so big that one could just grab it and yank it...

Amazing though how noticeable a bump they make. Guess I won't have a 100% white VOI9 easily then <g>

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depending on the cars, i dont know about the viper, if a stripe is painted on then clearcoated over it should be even with the rest of the car, at least thats what ive seen on most hot rods, so my thoughts would be that it is paint, clearcoat, stripe, clearcoat, but that seems impractical, oh well i know im probably wrong

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin, yes that was a serious question.

Viperdude, thanks for the info. I'll take your word for it, the rige seems so big that one could just grab it and yank it...

Amazing though how noticeable a bump they make. Guess I won't have a 100% white VOI9 easily then <g>

Im sorry if it seemed like I was poking fun. I understand what you mean about the stripes, it was just funny to read. I will admit, even though I've always known the stripes were painted, I've still sometimes thought the ridge seemed a high for them to be painted on. Oh well, thats just the way they are.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All factory stripes are painted on, gen 3 cars did NOT have a clear coat after the striping so you can feel the edges. More than likely a cost savings to Dodge, by not having to reclear coat a finished car.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that the stripes on my 06 coupe are not cleared over, and I will wager the cost of an 08 to anybody that thinks they can prove otherwise....in my honest opinion, Prefix is slipping, the quality of the stripes on my 06 doesn't even come close to the 02 FE I had.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prefix will not be doing the striping on the '08 cars, all painting will be done Saleen at their Troy, Michigan facility, that used to do all painting on the Ford GT. As an aside the same plant converts Mustangs and F-150's.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prefix will not be doing the striping on the '08 cars, all painting will be done Saleen at their Troy, Michigan facility, that used to do all painting on the Ford GT. As an aside the same plant converts Mustangs and F-150's.

I am sure it will be an improvement...don't get me wrong, I think prefix is capable of doing great work, when they want to...but their customer service *****

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to see a VOI without stripes go to the gallery, there is a picture of them at prefix before the stripes. IMHO they look very plain, the stripes do a great job in the looks dept.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject has been discussed many times. All Vipers except the 1996 RT/10 have painted on stripes. Gen I and II were done at ASC and were clearcoated after striping. Thus the much smoother blend. There was one color that was not clearcoated though. I seem to remember it as the blue stripe for GT-2's. The 1996 RT was unique in that it was an applique with clear coat on top.

As far as I know Prefix will continue to do all striping. Kind of wish it were not true. Oh well.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Prefix is still definitely doing the stripes , and though I am sure there are exceptions, the paint quality and finish work is vastly superior to what is was in the past. There have always been an edge to the paint, but Gen IIs often had tape, overspray and other issues and that was part of the reason Chrysler went to Prefix over the past years. Saleen will be doing the paint for the body and this was a change from the past supplier, again in an attempt to continue to improve quality. With around 90 to 150 new Vipers going through our Dealership each year, this analysis is based on what we have seen and not conjecture. We have had far fewer paint claims over the past years than ever in the past, though it was not overly common even then, and I believe we will see even better results in the future. I think my favorite comment is from former Vette owners whom all state the paint work and quality is vastly superior to what they had on their Chebbies.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that the stripes on my 06 coupe are not cleared over, and I will wager the cost of an 08 to anybody that thinks they can prove otherwise....

Hmmmm ... I am tempted to take that bet. What PROOF do you require? I am sure I can prove otherwise, unless Prefix defrauded Dodge on YOUR specific car for some reason. I can provide the testimony of SRT procurement, the CAAP plant manager, and the Prefix project manager as 'proof of process'. When you deliver me the 2008 I'll auction it off for charity...but ill probably have to road-test it a bit first.

There is an extensive "Traveler Pack" that tracks each major component of the car as and after it is installed....these "Travelers" are saved for 3 years !!!

100% of the stripe-orders for 2006 SRt10s, including the RARE snake-skin version, were clearcoated per Dodge SRt Specs. I toured Prefix twice and observed the process. The clear-coat process was 'inferior' to GTS processes in that the SRT clear was masked onto the exact border of the stripes! No blended edge was feathered beyond the stripe border, as was the case with Gen 2. This Top-Clear gives the ledge-like edgy border that snags your fingernail and collects wax....and makes you think it is not cleared. Early cars had the paper masking as shown in a photo earlier n this thread. Later cars used a water-soluable, sprayed on clear mask. NO PAPER! Very cool and high-tech. Thinner than paper. Like a wash-off CLEAR BRA !

SO......... did we SHAKE on the bet ?? JonB.

EDITED IT SAME DAY: The 2008 Vipers will be striped by Prefix.
The 2006 Vipers received 2 coats of clear, over the Stripe only, as stated above.
Snake-skin stripes received a full-cleared hood...not just stripe.

Last edited:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... I am tempted to take that bet. What PROOF do you require? I am sure I can prove otherwise, unless Prefix defrauded Dodge on YOUR specific car for some reason. I can provide the testimony of SRT procurement, the CAAP plant manager, and the Prefix project manager as 'proof of process'. When you deliver me the 2008 I'll auction it off for charity...but ill probably have to road-test it a bit first.

There is an extensive "Traveler Pack" that tracks each major component of the car as and after it is installed....these "Travelers" are saved for 3 years !!!

100% of the stripe-orders for 2006 SRt10s, including the RARE snake-skin version, were clearcoated per Dodge SRt Specs. I toured Prefix twice and observed the process. The clear-coat process was 'inferior' to GTS processes in that the SRT clear was masked onto the exact border of the stripes! No blended edge was feathered beyond the stripe border, as was the case with Gen 2. This Top-Clear gives the ledge-like edgy border that snags your fingernail and collects wax....and makes you think it is not cleared. Early cars had the paper masking as shown in a photo earlier n this thread. Later cars used a water-soluable, sprayed on clear mask. NO PAPER! Very cool and high-tech. Thinner than paper. Like a wash-off CLEAR BRA !

SO......... did we SHAKE on the bet ??

JonB.

He may mean that the hood, roof etc are not cleared over when the stripes are painted on. I beleive the stripes are layed out over factory paint/clearcoat and masked off. They are then painted and cleared, but only in the stripe area. Its just that the stripes are added after the fact ,so the thick edge appears .
If it was a custom paint job, you would be painting the base color and stripes and then clear coat the entire car and buff out. Then you would not feel any edges.

But like John said, the stripes definately have clear coat over them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
He may mean that the hood, roof etc are not cleared over when the stripes are painted on. I beleive the stripes are layed out over factory paint/clearcoat and masked off. They are then painted and cleared, but only in the stripe area. Its just that the stripes are added after the fact ,so the thick edge appears .

That is EXACTLY what I stated....maybe I used too many words, as usual! Stripes are ALWAYS added 'after the fact.' The stripes are indeed cleared. PA bet they were not.

But we shook on it, and Im waiting patiently for the $$$.....

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
post deleted - jonb, just tried to send you a PM, but it said you weren't accepting ***, wanted to share my reasons for feeling the way I do about Prefix, pics included, also why they appear to not be cleared over. I can email them to you and you can judge for yourself

Last edited:

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came from looking at two used 06 coupes, blue with silver did not have the srtipe on the 1" section between the windshield and roof top, a red w/ silver had it painted there. Pointed it out to the dealer..."the owner probably added the stripes after and forgot that area". :rolleyes:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just came from looking at two used 06 coupes, blue with silver did not have the srtipe on the 1" section between the windshield and roof top, a red w/ silver had it painted there. Pointed it out to the dealer..."the owner probably added the stripes after and forgot that area". :rolleyes:

I think all the Prefix striped coupes had the small gap betwwen windshield and stripe. So if it was painted all the way to the edge, I'd assume it was repainted by owner, or the entire stripe job was done aftermarket at some shop.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all the Prefix striped coupes had the small gap betwwen windshield and stripe. So if it was painted all the way to the edge, I'd assume it was repainted by owner, or the entire stripe job was done aftermarket at some shop.

They stopped short of the windshield frame becasue of the rubber strip that separated the roof from the windshield frame. The GTS did not have that gap.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did both cars have the rubber strip between the windshield frame and the roof panel, some of the very last 06s did not have the rubber strip, they had seam with the moulding on the inside, much cleaner look (same as the 08s will have)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in some of the later '06 coupes the rubber weather seal(where roof meets the top of windshield frame) was moved further to the interior and you dont see it.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both windshield moldings and roofs seemed to be the same in dimension. I never had noticed the gap difference, until I saw that one had been painted all the way. Only talking about an inch or so in that space.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
post deleted - jonb, ......wanted to share my reasons for feeling the way I do about Prefix, pics included, also why they appear to not be cleared over.....

I was just pulling your chain about the "BET" !

I know why you THINK they dont look clear-coated. I agree. They dont LOOK it due to the mask-job, rather than a clear and sand. Cost cutting left a defined edge. Nevertheless, they ARE cleared with 2 coats of clearcoat.