STUPID QUESTION ABOUT CAR CLEANING ?????

stevnso117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey i know this is a stuipd question for most of you but before i bought my viper i`ve never been one that likes to clean cars. I`ve never been into the waxing/ polishing thing. I usally drive my viper on the weekends and i`ve been washing it once a week. The guy who had it before me polished it every time he drove it. My question is should i polish it evertime i wash it or is it something that can be done monthly ever 3 months? Whats the norm on polishing? Also how in the hell can you keep water spots off. I`ve done everything i know of. I`ve dryed it with several different types of drying material and it also leaves water spots its not terible but they are there? Any suggestion on the water spots?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I usually put a good wax on mine every three months or so. I use Zaino products, they are excellent and do not have the grit like most waxes that tend to cause swirl marks over long periods of time. It was all I used on my Z06.

In between waxing, since I don't drive the car in the rain, after I drive the car I usually dust it off to remove anything that would scratch the paint, and then I go over the car with a spray, like Mother's "Showtime" or Meguire's "Quick Mist" to remove any left over dust, water spots, bugs, or road grime.

For the most part, I never wash my car, I occasionally pull the wheels and detail in and around the brakes, wheels and wheel wells but other than that it stays pretty clean with just dusting and spraying after every time I drive it.

You must be registered for see images

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no stupid questions on this board!! That's how ya learn. I wax mine once a year. When I take it out for short spins...I use my California Car Duster to remove dust and brake dust. You can find one at www.calcarcover.com. When I drive it for more than an hour, I usually wash it with Zaino's Z-7 car wash liquid soap. Then to get rid of the spots...use the Z-6 "Gloss enhancer".
You just spray it on a 100% cotton towel and wipe the surface and immediately follow the portion you covered with another 100% cotton towel before it dries. It leaves a real nice "mirrored" shine. E-mail Steve Pasztor at [email protected]. He is a distributor in Tx. Tell him you want to know about Zaino products and he'll fax you the complete line of products with instructions for properly using them. Good luck!!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black is the hardest to keep good looking.

I never let my Viper stay "dirty". I wash it when it needs it. I don't wash it if it isn't dirty.

If you make a big production of keeping it "car show spotless", you probably will not use the car as often as you might otherwise.

Keep it from looking dirty. People will never notice that it isn't perfect.
Drive it.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had mine for 7 months and wash it most every weekend but then I average 1000 miles a month so she needs it. I also use Zaino, God only knows how many coats-I can hose her down (bugs just slide off) blow dry her with the electric leaf blower then polish with Z-6. Perfect for the next week of fun...then repeat

Bill

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash mine a least once a week whether it needs it or not. Garage kept. I will only use Penniclewax.com products on all my cars. Wax once every 6 to 8 weeks. They have a product I use once a year that removes all the wax and build up and you then put on a fresh coat. Pennicle has more carnuba than any other wax I've found and does not turn white after drying. If you hit any of the black moldings or rubber it does not turn it white.
I also have a great detailer that will clay the car when needed, does the engine area and even take off the wheels to get all of the wheel well. Turns out fantastic. Great detailers are hard to find but try to find one.

Also use your old cotton wash mit for the dirtiest areas (under body panels, wheels) and a new one for the cleanest surfaces ( hood, roof, windows. Wash the body surfaces first and the wheels and under body parts last.

And when driving the car, always keep the dirty side down. :2tu:

94 530i BMW
98 R1200C BMW
02 Z71 Suburban
2000 GTS Steel Grey :usa:
Six piston Bier claws up front, front brakes in back
Quaife Differential, GKH half shafts, alloy fly wheel,
short throw shifter, polished intakes, K&N air filters, Optima battery,

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water spots happen because it drys before you can get it off. Make sure you're not washing it in direct sunlight. I noticed that I can let it sit for a long time before I dry it if it's in the shade.

Also use a leaf blower or air hose to blow out the side mirrors after you flip them out. That way you won't get the water streak down the doors 3 hrs after you've dried it.

OP
OP
S

stevnso117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help thats a great idea about using the leaf blower. Im glad to here that most of you don`t polish every time you wash. I like to drive mine alot right now and my damn arm would fall off if i waxed it evertime i drove it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine