Stupid question for you guys

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a green 95 rt/10, black 97 and 99 rt/10 and a black with silver striped 99 GTS.

I know the 99 GTS has a forged motor what about the rt/10's? I think the 97-99 rt's do but what about the 95?

Sorry for the dumb question, I am just trying to figure some stuff out

thanks guys

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge didn't make black RT/10's in 1997. They did make black RT/10's in 1996 with silver pointed stripes. Also black in 99 and 00. RT/10's 1992-1996 are Gen I Vipers, while RT/10's from 1997 on are Gen II. There are numerous differences between Gen I and Gen II cars; lots of information on this site concerning model year variations. The Gen II cars (GTS 96-02, RT/10 97-02) all have the same power ratings and the same mechanicals. In 2000 Dodge switched from forged to cast pistons; the 00-02 cars are affectionately known as "creampuffs." A Viper owner moving from a 97 GTS to, say, an 01 GTS would notice the difference; someone unfamiliar with Vipers would not. The earlier Gen II cars (non-Creampuffs) are more responsive to exhaust mods, and forged pistons are preferred over cast when you start modiying the engine, especially with induction mods. There is a large difference between Gen I and Gen II cars; not so great a difference between early Gen II's and late Gen II's/Creampuffs.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a green 95 rt/10, black 97 and 99 rt/10 and a black with silver striped 99 GTS.

I know the 99 GTS has a forged motor what about the rt/10's? I think the 97-99 rt's do but what about the 95?

thanks guys

Eric, for the speeds you go, I would highly recommend a GTS. The Gen-1 cars do not ride or handle nearly as well not to mention they are less powerful. Keep your convertible Cobra and get the GTS!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks guys

Eric, for the speeds you go, I would highly recommend a GTS. The Gen-1 cars do not ride or handle nearly as well not to mention they are less powerful. Keep your convertible Cobra and get the GTS!

Hey now, easy on the Gen I's!!! :eek:

I see you are from Illinois. Why don't you join us at the next Il VCA meeting? I believe it's in Schaumburg, Wed night. I'm willing to bet there will be a lot of Vipers with thier owners who would be happy to answer questions. If you go, you'll be able to scope out many sweet rides!!

You going Paolo?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

Hey now, easy on the Gen I's!!! :eek:

I see you are from Illinois. Why don't you join us at the next Il VCA meeting? I believe it's in Schaumburg, Wed night. I'm willing to bet there will be a lot of Vipers with thier owners who would be happy to answer questions. If you go, you'll be able to scope out many sweet rides!!

You going Paolo?

[/QUOTE]

Birvini, I mean no disrespect to Gen-1's, but I have driven with this guy on the highway and he really likes to go if you know what I mean. He will probably go to a supercharger or twin turbo setup eventually. He needs a GTS for sure!

I would not miss this coming meeting for the world! I will see you there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96