Super Viper

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why move the bar that high when the evolution of the Viper may bring it on as it is needed?

Steve, on one hand, you have a point. On the other hand, with conservative thinking like that, the Viper would have never been created. I think the people here, including myself, would like the Viper concept executed to the nth degree making it the undisputed king among the 500+K exotic supercars as well. The Viper already, at some 80K gives better performance than most 300+K exotics. The Bugatti Veyron is coming out........=> Quad turbo, AWD, W-16 motor, 7-speed sequential shifter, 0-60 in 1.9x, 0-100 MPH in around 4 seconds, 0-186 MPH in FOURTEEN SECONDS(Hello), and a top speed of 253 MPH! How does that grab you? That car will be 1 million dollars. I think the Viper could offer this kind of performance with the AWD and the current Viper engine with some minor fortifications, a supercharger and fuel system, and a relatively gutted interior(for weight savings). I think this car could be done to sell to the public for 250-300K. If I had the $$$$$$$$$$$$, would I buy a Lamborghini or one of these "Super Vipers" Hmmmmm is there really any question? I say they do it!

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My comments were poorly stated. I am definitely not against the existence of Supercars.

My point about branding is that I am offended when a manufacturer does nothing more than put a sticker on a car and then expects me to accept that is somehow a reflection of the brand. They are assuming I am too stupid to realize that the only connection is money. Example; Bentley at Le Mans. On the other hand, the Enzo, McLaren F1 and Mosler are true factory efforts. That I respect.

Where's the relevance? Torquemonster had mentioned that the Super Viper could be a put together by a race shop and trundled out to the track almost independent of a production version of the car. That's the kind of thing I don't like. Saleen tried that. He brought out his S7 to play in the "production car" category, only he never made any road cars. That's cheating, that's Saleen assuming we enthusisats are too stupid to know the difference between a street car and a race car. Saleen was righly busted for his efforts. Chevy did the same thing with their 427 wide body Corvette, only they got away with it.

One of the things which made the muscle car era great was that manufacturers actually had to produce road going versions of their cars to enjoy motorsport success. Sure there are few exceptions, but the reason L88 and Hemi have meaning today was not simply because they won on the track, but because a regular citizen could have one. Dodge has remained true to that with their ACR. Porsche has remained true to that with their GT2. I would like to see that continue.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replied earlier but somehow it seems to have got lost... thought it was quite brilliant too :D

in summary:

EXECMALIBU: it's a deal

Paolo: I agree - there would be demand in the USA and abroad. Under 7000rpm I think the V10 could be stronger than the W16 except in the crank. The W16 has a lot of small light parts which breathe better and move faster but can not be as strong as bigger and heavier OHV parts. That's why you don't see multi valves and cams etc in Top Fuel. The argument is a bit irrelevant I know, point is under 7000rpm the Viper engine could be engineered to run over 1000hp reliably... more than RWD could use efficiently.

Jrkermode: you're right about what I said except that I also intended the car to be for sale to the public - in the same way the 427SC Cobra was... not a race car only, but a race car primarily. That way they may avoid the compliance stuff altogether for a low production run of extreme road legal Super Vipers that are really race cars in disguise - like road legal GTS-R's except a bit lighter still and lots more power, better chassis, brakes, suspension etc. I'd design a carbon fibre body that was a hybrid between the 2002GTS and the latest Competition Coupe - marrying the **** curves of the old with the race car lines of the new for an unmistakeable Super Viper look.

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the Super Viper being an ACR speedster. I know EVERYONE wants a coupe, but eliminating all the HVAC, glass, winders, wipers and door mechanism, go a long way towards EXEC's lightness target. Add in an appropriately styled carbon fiber single roll "hoop", and we could have a spiritual successor to the 427SC. Best of all, with a 3/4 toneau, speedster aero is way better than coupe aero (Cd maybe similar but frontal area greatly reduced). I'm not sure if no windscreen is DOT legal so we may have to fit some flimsy Brooklands style screen to get them off the Dealer's lot.

RE: Forced induction
I like twin turbos, but on the existing V10 I would be worried about the heat. Them is some pretty hot critters to add under the hood. That has me leaning towards supercharging instead. Thoughts?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXEC -

Do you happen to have pics of your Cobra? It sounds like a real head turner! I'd love to see some shots of it! :)

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry i got held away from this conversation so long! great input EVERYONE!

jkermode...i'm glad you like the idea i was talking about regarding the Viper becoming it's own brand. and i was definetely talking about there being more than just one car. i also heartily agree with t-monsters view on the "rich" and what they can afford, etc. jolly good points man...

out of curiosity, and this was something i mentioned earlier. what would be the feasability tech wise (money notwithstanding) of producing the theoretical "W20" engine. for example, DC taking the Mercedes F1 engine and essentially mating two together to produce a 7.0 litre W20 configuration. obviously there would need to be looks taken at the power band and entire general "endurance/street use" aspect of the thing...but still, you wonder...

how do you all feel about the Viper perhaps being mid-engined? picture this...a Viper V10 in the Mercedes CLK-GTR or CLK-LM chassis, with Viper styling, LeMans inspired aero, etc...that would help cut down on your time frame issue a bit. or if you like front engined, look at the chassis for the upcoming Mercedes/McLaren SLR. can you imagine the V10 in that? Silver Serpent here we come...

anyway, we need to go back to LEMANS. what is with all the NASCAR focus? (other than the mad publicity factor of course). at least the GTS-R was based off of the actual street Viper. where can you show me the rear-drive, V8 (carbed no less) intrepid? which shares all body panels save the nose and tail with those other doorless sticker-grilled race cars (as per NASCARS ne "common template rules")...grrr...

pit

pit

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE A FEW PHOTOS..
AMAZINGLY YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS BUT I THINK THAT IT IS CURRENTLY THE ONLY ORIGINAL 427 COBRA RED WITH WHITE STRIPES!! I KNOW THAT EVERY KIT CAR ON THE PLANET IS RED/WHITE..

IT WAS THE CAR IN THE 1994 MAC TOOL CALENDER..IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR VIPER RED WITH WHITE STRIPES..IN THE 1999 GROUP PHOTO WITH AROUND 100 ORIGINAL COBRAS MINE WAS THE ONLY RED/WHITE ONE..

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this talk about "super vipers" is irrelevent anyways. When it all comes down to selling cars, the same holds true to any automobile company. Ford isn't going to build a 600hp taurus, DC isn't going to build a 700hp neon, and GMC isn't going to build a 900hp tahoe. They build what contributes to their image, they build what is economical to their funds, they build what they want to sell, they build what is available and what will be available, and they build what will be in their best interest. There are a million other factors which all limit what they produce and how they produce it. As a salute to EXECMALIBU here is all caps...YOU CAN DREAM ALL YOU WANT FROM DC BUT YOU WILL NEVER SEE A SUPER VIPER BUILT NOR SHOULD YOU EXPECT IT.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SPEEDSTYLE,
I TOTALLY DISAGREE! PLUS THE PAST PRODUCTS FROM MERCEDES (300SEL 6.3 AND THE 6.9) NOW DC DO NOT SUPPORT YOUR CLAIMS...MERCEDES NEVER NEEDED TO BUILD THE 350HP 1968-1972 300SEL 6.3.. BUT THEY DID AND THEY HAD THE WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION SEDAN FOR OVER 20+ YEARS YEARS!

DC NEVER EXPECTS TO SELL ENOUGH OF THE (565HP) V-12 S CLASS CARS TO EVER GET EVEN A TINY BIT OF A RETURN ON THEIR INVESTMENTS....EVERY S600 IS HUGE $$ LOOSER FOR DC BUT THEY MAKE THEM FOR THE CORPORATE IMAGE..

THE R AND D FOR A LIMITED PRODUCTION V-12 TWIN TURBO COSTS THEM 100s OF MILLIONS OF $$$..MERCEDES DOES JUST DESIGN AND BUILD JUST THE V-12 TWIN TURBO ENGINE AND DROP IT IN A STOCK S CLASS CAR LIKE THEY WOULD DO HERE IN THE US..

IF YOU HAVE EVER OWNED A MERCEDES HI-PO CAR (6.3 0R 6.9) YOU WOULD KNOW THAT EVERY PART OF THE CAR UNDER THE SHEET METAL IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!

IN A 6.9 EVERY PART EVEN THE ENTIRE CHASSIS WAS DIFFERENT! PLUS THE ENTIRE DRIVE-LINE FROM THE RADIATOR, INCLUDING THE FULL HYDRO-SUSPENSION TO THE DIFFERENTIAL IS TOTALLY UNIQUE..

DC ALREADY BUILDS AND SELLS A "SUPER" MERCEDES "SL" IN THE 465HP SUPER-CHARGED "SL55 AMG" AND ALSO THE "S600"..PROBABLY TO COMPETE WITH BMW "M" SERIES AND THE LIMITED PRODUCTION ALL ALUMINUM HAND BUILT 400HP BMW Z-8!....

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT THEY WONT BUILD A "SUPER VIPER" JUST TO COMPETE WITH FORD AND CHEVY??

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING MONEY.. IT IS ABOUT CORPERATE IMAGE AND MAYBE A LITTLE CORPORATE EGO..

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wont build a super viper because they do not need to. There is absolutely no reason to! Your right it has nothing to do with making money...it has to do with the image. DC already has the image they want from their viper and will not expand on it that greatly. They have their ego, they have their image, and they have exactly what they want in the current Viper.

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is there to compete with? The GT40? It's still no competition for the Viper especially with its high price tag. What does Chevy have to compete with the Viper? Absolutely nothing.

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pit,
I definitely like the idea of a pure sporting, Viper brand. The persistently strong sales of Lotus 7 and Cobra knock-offs along with the import performance car movement prove there is a strong market for no-nonsense sports cars in the low to medium dollar range. I believe the GenI/II Viper proved there is also demand for such a vehicle in the medium to high dollar market. And, according to those who have chimed in here, there appears to be a market for a non-luxury, sports car in the upper reaches of the market. That, to me, suggests a Viper brand is quite feasible.

Speedstyle,
I fully agree that the further the definition strays from existing parts, pieces and expertise, the less relevant the proposal becomes. But, what is relevant?

DC is poised to convert their large cars to rear drive. There is also and industry wide trend towards merging large cars and SUVs. That suggests high output AWD platforms will soon become quite common. Therefore, I think requesting that platform in a Super Viper is not only relevant, but even a smart marketing move to lend pedigree to the remaining AWD cars in the fleet.

The Ultimate Viper is more difficult to get a grip on, because it depends on a brand new platform and brand new drivetrain.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SPEEDSTYLE,
THAT IS WHY THERE ARE HORSE RACES!

I PERSONALLY THINK A "SUPER VIPER" MAY EVENTUALLY BE BUILT BY DC..THEY IMPROVED THE GEN I CAR INTO THE GEN II AND NOW THERE IS THE SRT, WHICH FROM WHAT I READ IS MILES AHEAD OF THE GEN II..

WHEN THE GT40 COMES OUT AND POSSIBLY BLOWS THE DOORS OFF EVERYTHING ELSE EVEN THE SRT!! PEOPLE WONT GIVE A RATS [******] HOW MUCH IT COSTS..

THE VIPER WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE A MID PRICED CAR IT WAS ALWAYS THE MOST EXPENSIVE "DODGE" EVER BUILT..

REMEMBER THAT I SAID A LIMITED PRODUCTION "SUPER VIPER" THEY SHOULD STILL MAKE THE STOCK VERSION..

IF IT IS THE BADDEST CAR AROUND PEOPLE WILL PAY ANY PRICE !!

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I make this clear that I am in no way opposed to a super viper...Im just stating that it probably won't happen. If it does then cheers! But now lets think about the current Viper, it is the highest priced Dodge but then again...it's still a Dodge. They cannot go much higher with it. The reason MB has higher priced, higher output luxary cars is because they can with the MB name. But even so, the higher output is vastly offset by the higher weight. Now returning to DC competition i.e. Ford GT40. Nobody knows for sure the specs on it. Sure it has 500hp with most likely a lower weight than the Viper but will it matter? How will it compare? Nobody knows yet and I doubt it will be much faster in any way. 4.22 Final Drive Ratio = lower top speed. The baddest car around does not mean people will pay the price for it. How many super exotics are there with higher performance.....and how many of those actually sell.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Provided the Viper badge lives on - and lets hope it does - DC will build a Super Viper incorporating many of the things we've talked about on this forum - including intelligent AWD and much more power per weight to take advantage of the traction.

The question is - will this be a pioneering (for the USA) legend?

or will it simply be the forced response to what the others are already doing or now planning and will do?

That is the question my friends. The old technology is full of nostalgia but it aint the future and the rest of the world are a decade ahead already. The Viper is only where it is because it has a huge engine. I'm not knocking the Viper in any way - its one of the most desireable cars currently available and for the money in the USA - the best buy! I'm simply saying that if DC stays on the same track there are other trains coming that will knock it off. If DC lacks the political will to pioneer extreme, Lutz at GM does not. The ONLY thing limiting GM's chief right now are the American unions or I could tell you a range of things you could buy at a GM dealership over the next 18 months in the USA that you won't see there because of union issues. The new Pontiac GTO coming out is 100% Australian, but that is only one of a number of GM products that would sell like hotcakes in the USA made there - like a 400hp 4 door sedan, and the new upcoming AWD 4 door sports sedan with liftback for carrying 4-5 adults, or huge luggage, low to ground for good handling, hi output alloy Vette engine, 6 speed or auto etc etc.

Its coming. But you won't see it there until someone in the USA decides to build them, because the rest of the world are already doing it, but your regulations don't allow too much import competition. The question once again is - will DC build a legend, or will it be GM or Ford. Someone will, or the entire Amercian auto industry will become redundant in the eyes of the rest of the world, and the days are already here when the global market place is more important than the national one.

The RWD limitations are already being stretched, with public safety a huge public issue. A few Cobra owners never lived to make their first monthly instalment. Those wild hey days are gone forever. Safety is important now as much as brute power. AWD will be seen in Amercian hi perf auto's - mark my words.

It seems to me that a Super Viper would be an ideal first platform.

re working with what we've got in the meantime:

Recast the block and heads in titanium/aluminum alloy - with enough bracing for 2000hp. It'll save quite a few pounds and be stiffer. It won't cost as much as 100% titanium. Same basic alloy for rods. Magnesium intakes, trans casing and diff casings, carbon fibre suspension components. No steel panels at all - all carbon fibre from floor to roof (stronger than steel anyway). Lightweight alloy tubing and cage filled with super light but strong hardened foam. A Coupe will be stiffer than a ******* for the same weight. These things will take off a significant amount of weight combined with the traditional things that would be done anyway. The crank needs updating to a top fuel quality CNC forged cross-drilled and knife edged unit that will handle 9000rpm, because anything less is going to be a weak link in a serious racing effort. With a stiff block and breathing heads and a strong crank, you can make serious hp/cube and get more rpms - which do matter in racing.

Last but not least - power per weight is only one of many factors to making a race winner. By far the most important is being able to use 100% of what you have. Here's a good lesson:

In Australia and NZ there are two classes of race cars that are very popular and that use V8's. One class is called the V8 Supercars. It is essentially a two horse race between Aussie Ford Falcons and Aussie GM Holden Commodores. Both are 4 doors, restricted to 5 litre engines and 7500rpm and this limits them to about 630hp. They must weight 2970lbs and are limited to 10" wide slicks. They typically cost around $300,000AUD per car plus a annual race budget of WELL over $1million to run a car to be competitive.

The other class runs under different names but is essentially your space framed lightweight race car with a carbon body fitted over it to look loosely like a Vette, Jag, Mustang etc with full house 6 litre injected 750hp NASCAR type engine massive slicks and brakes and a weight somewhere around 2500lbs -some more some less. Many of these cars are built by small private workshops from many imported parts - most from USA.

The 3000lb car on 10" rubber should be no match for the 750hp lightweight monsters on big rubber.... but guess what? They are.... on a tight track they'd spank their butt on any day of the week. On a faster track they'll be within the same second.

WHY? How could this be possible?

Its called chassis set up and suspension. The Supercar teams are run like the F1 and Indy teams. They are pros. They will fine tune the cars to each track and with big budgets and super tunable chassis/suspensions, they can get the best out of their cars quite quickly. Their experience makes the learning curve at new tracks fast. It means that when we turn up in one of our suped up race cars that should blow their doors off we'd get creamed. They easily top 2.5g on 10" rubber and will do it all day as they do in endurance races. They have a big range in tire choice, and a privateer will have no chance to match their joint expertise.

LESSON: Weight is only one factor, Mercedes have raced their heavy weights quite successfully as have Jaguar with their old V12's. The Viper does not HAVE to be lighter than a super Lutz Vette...just close. What it needs is the best chassis/suspension tunability and the best teams and enough power to bring home the trophy. GM's 5 litre has been a good 25hp down on the Ford for a while - but the GM wins consistently... better chassis, suspension and setup for the track in this class.

Crank 700+hp out of the Viper V10, get it around or under 3000lbs road legal then find a way to keep those tire patches firmly on the road at all vibrations... with brakes to match, and you'll have a winner. Ultra hard spring rates are not the answer - that's 1970's - you need suppleness with resistance rising to meet demand... learn from the rally cars.... those 2 litre babies will annoy the snot out of you on a road course.

my further 2 cents... must go. Have a great day y'all :)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUPER VIPER JUNIOR IS ALREADY HERE!

While we've been chatting about the whole concept - have any of you been like me and not been aware of how good the Competition Coupe is shaping up?

try 4 seconds per lap quicker than the SRT10.

Check out the details in the Competition Coupe forum. It weighs 400lb less than the SRT10 and has many of the things we've talked about. Add in a few of the things we've been talking about that have not been done yet, and a LOT more hp, and most importantly, more development and testing, and I think we'll see a very good Super Viper platform suitable for the upcoming GT40 and Lutz Vette clash... take a look and tell us what you think...

oh - yes it does need to be made road legal - but that should not add weight when incorporated with other things we've talked about...

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great points about the CC t-master. i am curious how you all feel about the concept of a mid-engined Viper, though. i read that mr. gilles (on the design team for the SRT) mentioned that when chrysler was looking to go GT1 racing, they explored and did some work on a mid-engined Viper. he said that it just wasn't a Viper; that a Viper needed to have the engine in front pulling you along like a chariot. while i agree some with his ideas, i also think that having that V10 propel you like a rocket by being placed behind the driver is equally an enticing ideal! there are also various things that are made easier by a mid-engined layout, do you all not agree? now i know that in the context of what we are discussing here a clean sheet design would not be very time or cost effective, but what about my above comments on using the chassis from perhaps the CLK-GTR? HWA in germany just built a CLK-GTR SuperSport that uses the AMG 7.3 litre V12. i can definetely have some wonderful fantasies about having our beloved V10 in the rear of that chassis. convert the styling to Viper and viola! you have kicked the hind parts of both ford and chevy. if only it were that easy right? i also agree that we are going to have to see 4 wheel drive soon as well. the benifits from it seem obvious. examples such as the Mitsu VR4 and Nissan GTR come to mind.

as far as styling for our super viper, i think that the 2000 GTS/R ShowStopper has it almost completely nailed. i would like to see the rear incorporate a bit more "LeMans prototype longtail"-ness into it, but hey, that's me. i love how the front seems to rise up out of the ground. with the bottom of the facia moving fluidly into the splitter it makes the grill much more menacing. notice that it makes the grill a smaller pronounced opening at the top of the "crosshairs", while the lower opening continues straight to the splitter. the comp coupe misses it there i think. it's facia arrangement makes for a grill that looks like it has too many openings. on the other side, the extra "bar" in the CC grill probably helps to contribute some front downforce, so who knows. anyway, still a great discussion guys...let's hope DC is listening...

pit

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the Viper brand discussion again. I'm in. Every Viper a pure sports machine. Every Viper a 2 seater. Every Viper available as an R model, meaning equipped with all the requisite safety equipment for competition.

Viper 4 = Mid-mounted SRT4 engine driving the rear wheels. Targa top. 2200#. Stripper non-turbo starts at $25k. Fully loaded turbo tops out at $35k. Basically the Lotus Elise before the idiots at GM decided it needed to be slower, softer and gussied up.

Viper 8 = New Dodge Hemi mounted in the front of a lightweight coupe. Basically a Panoz Esperante, only steal the styling of the CC. Less than 3000#. Pricing matches the existing Corvette.

Viper 10 = Existing SRT 10. Only add AWD and supercharging as individual options. Price ranges from $80k to $105k.

Viper 20 = Mid-engine exotic with a pair of Ilmor F1 motors mated to give an X20. Price starts at whatever Ford choses for the GT ($160k?) for a naturally aspirated 2WD car and tops out at $250k for an AWD 4 turbo model.

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounding good to me j. i could go on about this stuff all day! you did forget one thing though. the race cars. a new Viper GTS-R sold as customer cars to whoop up on the GTS competition, and a full factory backed Viper GTP that brings home the overall LeMans victory! sigh...(dreaming)...

pit

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pit,

That's what I meant by R models available.

I figure most of this stuff would be low volume, so let's build them like kit cars. A tube frame will give us most of a built-in roll cage. Checking the R option then gives you some bolt in diagonal bracing, race seat, belts, a fire system, and gets the polyethylene gas tank swapped out for a cell. Doing so gives you a race ready car for everything from SCCA to Le Mans.

The GTP car is another story. That's HUGE money. However, Porsche's 956/962 and Ferrari's 333 proved that car companies can actually make money selling such cars (obviously, lots of race car companies make money selling race cars).

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jrkermode - I like the range concept - not sure whether they should all wear the Viper badge though...

The Viper 8 - you gotta have a blown hemi option - it has a ring to it... even if the new hemi is a shadow of the original.

The Viper 20 - more like $1m than $250k. It's also unamerican, though it would be ultra high tech... F1 engines really have more in common with motorcycle engines than road car engines - and what works at 14,000rpm is not what works at 7000rpm... even detuned. Different animals. An AWD mid-mounted ultimate Viper 20 should have some real American heritage built into it... big bore, big stroke.... a torque monster ;) I'd rather see a super lightweight good old V8 of monster proportions, maybe even a remanufactured high tech V10 - the multi valve/cam one we discussed earlier. That would be A Super Viper.

The V8 advantage is they are compact, simple, have a nice strong short crank, that sound quality the "hornet in a jar" F1 engines cannot match, and a lot more impressive to drive with 1000lb ft torque than 400lb ft for the same hp from a high rpm F1 screamer.

Cyril Batten built a 1000 cubic inch 48 valve quad cam V12 that made 2000hp and weighed 500lbs. His "street" version was debored/destroked down to 777 cubes and made 1250hp on PUMP GAS - naturally aspirated. That's less weight than a small block. The Aussies are building Jetsprint engines around 380lbs for 500 cubic inches that make incredible power - and have to be reliable to last Jetsprint action (high loads for sustained periods).

A W configured engine is even more compact but solely within the VW group at present... tho it does make sense - a W12 or 16 in the same space taken by a V8, but there's more moving parts. A 572 cube Indy Wedge weighs under 500lbs and can be built to handle Veyron power with room to spare using just low technology let alone a high tech version. A good 90 degree V engine will have better CG than a W engine too. To get better you'll need to go horizontally opposed.

The V10 is long and that's a problem with mid-mounting, but can be done - look at Lambo! The monster V8 has advantages, but the multi cam/valve V10 at 500+cubes would probably get the popular vote from Viper fans. With variable timing etc it is the logical evolution of the original truck engine - a 750hp street mid engined AWD Super Viper with 1250hp twin turbo or blown version on 10psi boost. Turbos should outlast a blower as they have no mechanical drive to fail and often last several hundred thousands miles, but both work. It'd sell, it'd also be all American. I would however suggest the chassis be contract designed in England and the handling tuned in Germany at the "Ring". There's no better place to do it. Maybe Chris Amon from NZ could be contracted to tune it's suspension and chassis dynamics (Enzo Ferrari once remarked that there was no better man in the world who had such a gift for sorting out a car). Toyota have used him to great effect.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that a Viper is, first and foremost, defined by its 10 cylinder engine. If ever it were to come with a different engine, then already it is not a Viper, and should not wear the badge. It would be different if, when the first Viper made its debut, it came optioned with different engines, but it did not. Because of this, Viper has become synonymous with its 10 cylinder engine. It's what makes a Viper a Viper. It can be a convertible, it can be a hardtop, it can have a different platform, and a different look, but always, and consistently, it has its 10 cylinder engine. Am I right or am I right?
Waiting to have my ears tickled (*chuckle*),
Daffy

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in many respects, daffy, i completely agree with you. perhaps they could all have V10's, but of varying degrees of size and "techness" to them. how bout a HEMI V10, 'eh? and i notice that you mention the lamborghini, t-master, but also note that the new porsche carrera GT has a V10, as well as the upcoming BMW M5 and M6, even their mid-engined M1 successor is rumored to have a version of the same engine. so it looks as though the big ten configuration is alive and kicking. as far as the badging, they don't neccessarily have to all carry simply the "Viper" name. i think that Viper should become a seperate brand under DC just as dodge and mercedes are. you could name seperate models something further serpentine, for example, the Viper Canebrake, Viper Gaboon, or the Viper Rattler...

good take on the "R" models, jker. and you used the 962/956 example before i could get to it. the GTS class customer cars could even be a potential financial feeder for a factory GTP effort. can you imagine a Viper-esque Bentley? droooooooooollll...

pit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc