Super Viper

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXECMALIBU's recent tirade got me to thinking what I would do to make a Super Viper. Not a Gen IV Viper, but a Super version of the SRT 10.

The current Viper has 2 demons which need to be exorcised in order to achieve Super status; heat, weight.

Heat, because, we already cook everything, making it really difficult to manage more power (think 100,000 mile emission and warranty certification).

Weight, because a faster, 3400 lb Super Viper won't have enough brakes/brake cooling. Sure you could upgrade the wheels/tires/brakes. But, how would you make ball joints live? How would you cool the brakes without significant changes to the basic body and its airflow? How would you accomodate a larger wheel/tire assembly within the existing car? Save the monster wheel/tire/brake package for the Gen IV car (coupe?).

I propose:
Heat #1 - A large vent in the center of the hood like they use on the GTS-R. This would expel a great deal of air and heat from under the hood, improving aerodynamics and reducing underhood temperatures.

Heat #2 - Mount diff and tranny coolers "in" the diffuser. Basically mount an upside down hood scope on the diffuser surface, one each "tunnel", and route the air past the coolers. Exit the air just above the diffuser, in the rear. Scraping air off the surface of the diffuser like this could actually improve the diffuser performance.

Weight #1 - Carbon Fiber Hood. I realize this isn't a great weight savings, but the location of the weight, high, increases the benefit. Since we're filling the thing with louvers anyway, might as well make it from the good stuff.

Weight #2 - Smaller motor (keep reading). Here again is an opportunity to relocate a heavy item. I propose swapping the existing V10 for a streetable version of the Ilmor Mercedes F1 motor. I doubt the shorty, single ring pistons would survive 100,000 mile emissions certification, so there would likely be a small reduction in displacement when streetable rods and pistons were installed. Assume 3.25 liters. The rod and piston change will cost some reving ability, as will swapping out the unobtanium valves for plain old, solid titanium. Still should be good for 10,000 to 12,000 RPM and 450 HP. Lowering the RPM could also allow a switch back to regular springs for the valves. Keep the motor dry sump and it should be tiny enough to nestle well within the tranny tunnel, conveniently leaving room under the hood for the dry sump tank. So, with a minimal loss in output, we could shave about 200 lbs off the car and centralize what weight remains. All good things.

Power #1 - The lighter car is going to have a harder time hooking up, even though we could soften the springs. But, a Super Viper HAS to have more. I propose a twin turbo set-up. The vent enhancements should provide enough cooling to deal with another 100 HP steady state, higher in bursts. The engine computer could decide when more boost/heat is allowable, again keeping the thing warranty and emissions friendly. Oh, and that new vent on the hood, seems like a nice place for an air-to-air intercooler. Figure total power would now be close to 600 HP all the time with 800 HP available with good gas and cool temps. Unfortunately, this upgrade will eat in to our overall weight savings, perhaps bringing us back even.

Aero #1 - Front diffusers, again like on the GTS-R. Sure ground effect is pretty useless on the street, but its neat and its essentially a free performance inprovement. Of course this will require some additional venting of the hood, just above the wheel wells.

Cost for all his nonsense? Who knows what the engineering would cost. Last year's F1 motors (11 months out of date for F1) run about $50,000. Take away the really fancy stuff, and then include all the turbo stuff, and you're probably back at the same place. Throw in an additional $15k for the hood and diffuser/cooler changes and you're within pennies of a Ford GT(40).

Worth it? What do you think?

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's kind of the whole point of the post. Is there a feasible way to make a Super Viper, and if so, what would it be?

I thought I described a program well within the capabilites of AMG or PVO using existing DC pieces and expertise. Obviously, you think the proposal is nuts.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think that there is a chance something like this will be reviewed. But as for building one you would still be talking about 4-5 years. Good news, PVO has looked at a lot of different applications for Viper. The hope would be that some of the things they have tested and reviewed can one day make it into a version of Viper. I like the "super" version concept better that a "Coupe" version of the SRT/10. Just my opinion based on no facts.

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too love my 8 liters, BUT if Super roadhoalding is to be part of the equation, you need to be ruthless about reducing and redistributing mass. Yeah, it would be nice to have 2600 lb, but that's simply impossible using the SRT-10 platform. Even if it were possible, big motors always goof up the polar moments. Remember, to qualify for Super you've got to find a way to hang with the McLaren F1 and the Ferrari Enzo.

So, why go all the way to 3 liters? The F1 motor has been optimized, at great expense, for light weight and high output. I'm not aware of anything else in the DC engine library anywhere near this weight (250 lb), capable of 800 HP. Even if there is another motor, the F1 motor beats it by a mile for sex appeal. No doubt the big motor grunt would be gone. But, 800 HP can go a long way towards erasing that memory!

F1 motors also go out of date every 2 months. So, DC has already paid for the motor. If one remains true to DC's stated goal of every division funding itself, then minimizing the development costs is crucial to any potential change.

Finally, DC already has a monster motor sports car in the SLR. Nothing like 12,000 rpm to create a little product differentiation.

As for timing. Chrysler can get a concept car to production in less than 5 years, so a motor could be much closer to 2 years. Perfect for the return of Guardsman Blue with Wimbeldon White stripes!

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wanna go super? using your F1 engine idea, why not mate two of them together? a 6.0 to 7.0 lt. "W20" engine with over a thousand horsepwer, still being lightweight! i have said before that i think that the DC empire should get together and build a SuperViper that is a mid-engined, carbon tubbed beast that blends styling of the GTS/R with the Mercedes CLK-GTR. it could be called the "Silver Serpent", paying homage to both the LeMans ********** of the Viper, as well as to the Mercedes Silver Arrows racers of the past...

and of course they would have to take the freaking beast to LeSarthe to rule yet again...

great topic by the way...one that i could debate all day. jkrmode, if you want to ever e-mail me t discuss [email protected] man...

WORLD CHAMPION TAMPA BAY BUCS...(i love the sound of that...)

pit

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the W 7L idea for clean sheet design, but when the discussion turns to a clean sheet Viper it gets pretty difficult to keep things on track.

For this discussion, I think we should stick to the following scenario.

You (team Viper) are the #1 team in Detroit. However, a new team has just been formed. They've got a lighter car with a low polar moment of inertia and impeccable pedigree (Ford GT). They're gunnin' for you. Family honor is at stake, so for them, it's personal.

You're old coach (Lutz) is also bringing back America's team (Corvette) with an unspecified challenger. The coach would like nothing better than to spank the old team and their new high brow owners.

Shootout is in 18 months. What do you do?

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8.3 liters to 3.25 liters?

I'm sorry, but I could understand maybe a drop to 7 liters, but 3.25 just wouldn't fly in my eyes. Part of the allure of the Viper is indeed the massive size of the engine and the enormous torque it provides.

Take a look at the relatively insane TVR Cerbera Speed 12. A car with a 7.7 V12, 800hp, and weighs under 2600lbs. That's what I think Dc should be aiming for.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. Quit messing around and build a super viper. Something where we don't have to worry about the next this or that from the usual suspects (Vette, Ford GT). Do an all out car, maybe even a limited edition like the Z06 if they have to, but do it.

I like the idea of a low weight, high horsepower Viper. DC can do this! Just look at the upcoming S62 AMG merc: V12, twin turbo, over 600 hp - they have the technology - and the parts!

Sure huge torque is fun and easy to drive around on the street but it generally comes at the expense of huge weight. Having tracked my Viper quite a bit over the past few years, I agree with Jim that weight is a huge issue. To be heavy and go fast you need huge tires, huge brakes, lots of downforce, etc. And this stuff just tears up the car due to heat and extreme loading(wheel bearings, bushings, etc).

I'll add more later when I have time but Jim's right, we need a fast solution in the 18 month timeframe (may be as simple as a blower on the current car) followed by an end all car.

Hey pitviper, congrats on the BUCS!

Regards,

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Super Viper?

Forget factory platform, go 4wd - the ONLY way to use BIG POWER, and build a race built high tech space framed car, tuned at teh "Ring" in Germany as that track covers everything a race car or super road car needs to face, and put a carbon fibre Viper shell over it....

A small high rpm engine may have advantages on the track, but no sex appeal. The upcoming W16 Bugatti Veyron, with 1001hp, 4wd, 7 speed (shifts under 0.2 sec) with its 8 litre 16 cylinders and a sound that apparently is quite something - that is ****.

The Viper is **** for the same reasons - it looks muscular and is muscular - not another highly stressed hand grenade.

The Maclaren F1 remains the most formidable road car ever built, the Veyron won't beat it on some tracks - but in a straight line it will walk anything produced. There are trade offs.

But the F1 was not a sales super success. The Veyron - judging by pre-launch interest - looks set to be. Why?

The F1 was a super car along a similar line to other cars built to compete around the same time. It was better than the rest, but the difference was not enough to catch the buyers imagination.

The Veyron on the other hand, goes so far beyond waht any other maker has had the balls to do that it captures the imagination of all supercar buffs that want the best money can buy.

The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have big muscle and light weight, and that can only be done by building something like an Ultima (kitcar used to test the F1 BMW V12 engine) or F1.

All wheel drive is compulsory for serious power and some measure of road safety and common sense and those who doubt this need to drive a serious awd so they can comprehend the vast difference in real world terms. On a race track, in perfect conditions, there is not a huge difference, but in the real world it is night and day - the difference is truly huge - especially the safety factor...

Going head to head with F1 V10 technology etc will be a battle of the wallets between car makers - and begins to lack sex appeal s the engines don't relate to anything we can drive on the road. Moreoever - building a monster car like the Can Am 917/30 1350hp Porsche of 1973 - those days are gone. The race sanctioning bodies will repeat history by bringing in fuel economy rules effectively making big engines uncompetitive...

So the glory goes to cars like the Veyron that will not be allowed to race like the F1 road car, but are head and shoulders above everything else you can buy and drive on the road. Therefore a Super Viper would be on the same theme.... not a 3.25 litre bore that sounds like a motorcycle engine and needs 6000rpm just to get away at the lights.

A Super Viper could run twin turbos for any power level a fuel system could supply up to around 2000hp if it had AWD. It could weigh 2800lbs or less with the latest hi tech materials - less if a 572 cube wedge V8 was used as they weigh 460lb. There is a 500cube V8 built for Jet boats in Australia that weighs in the 300's and makes 1000+ hp with ease. That catches people's imagination... a 3.25 screaming Viper doesn't sound right.

A Super Viper may not win GT1, but it could win on fast tracks, and could be king of the streets - and that has more image.... look at Lambo - their race heritage is nothing compared to Ferrari, but park the latest Lambo alongside the F550 and see which one gets the crowd. Lambo is the peoples supercar choice of the two everytime.

I'd hate to see Viper try to become a 911GT1... let it become Amercias response to the Veyron!

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice try TorqueMonster,

In 18 months or less, Billy and Bob will have production (NOT tuner) cars on the ground. What are you going to tell them, "Wait while I build a new car"? (are you sure you ain't an Aussie?)

Everything I've specified is real, not theoretical, and can all be had within the DC empire.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please - a kiwi, not an Aussie!

I hear what you're saying... in that case I'd still go for straight line speed advantage from a well tuned Viper engine, dry sumped and as low as it'll go with a full length scrape guard to protect the underbelly (esp. sump)and reduce underbody drag. Massive carbon fibre brakes on large wheels can still work well despite working harder.... The Viper GTS raced locally can run deeper into the corner than the Porsche's, but lacks the straight line power the 700hp Porsche's have.... but that's soon changing with an engine upgrade.

It makes for interesting racing. We see it here all the time in NZ and in Australia - where the V8 supercars win hands down on faster tracks due to straight line speed, but have very close competition to the 2 litre Group A touring cars of Europe (BMW etc)on tighter circuits due to the lower weight..., both car classes generate over 2.5g on turns but the smaller lighter cars are more nimble and brake better. The V8's still normally win however head to head overall. Guess which cars the crowd like to see? They tried to ban the big engines but the crowds went away, no one wants to watch hi tech small engined cars reving their **** off around a track.... except in F1 and Indy and they couldn't run big engines because running similar power per cubes, they'd be faster than humans could handle ...which is why they banned ground effects etc - cars got too fast for drivers and they started to black out, get neck problems etc.

If you really must have a smaller engine - how about the 5 litre Merc GTR1 V8 quad cam 32 valve, then go twin turbo? That'd be more compact, is in the group, and make good power, wasn't that the engine that beat the Maclaren F1 in GT1 racing (without turbos)?

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WCKDVPR, thanks for the congrats...i'm still in total euphoria!!!

now to the situation at hand...as far as the powerplant, remember that while the smaller standard F1 type wngines would have "less" sex appeal, two of them mated to form a 7.0 W20 would (like the Veyron's engine...a great choice for an example car by the way; simply stunning) have PLENTY 'O sex appeal i think, not to mention HP. if you want to go and raid the DC parts bin, why not looking at strapping twin turbos on the AMG 6.0 or 7.3 V12, which powers the Pagani Zonda...which in my opinion has KILLER SEX APPEAL. or maybe a special edition AMG built V10 specifically for the Viper.

i definetely think that the chassis needs to be carbon tubbed monocoque, and i wouldn't mind seeing a new cleansheet mid-engined design. with my focus in real life being on developing/designing sportscars/supercars in the future, my focus is on track built awareness, meaning, i want to dominate in the biggest races...LeMans specifically. all in all DC definetely needs to come out with something to confidently silent everyone out there...if DC wants any more opinions...i'll be here! ;-)

pit

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Super Viper premise is really simple.

When GM introduces the Bob Lutz Corvette and Ford introduces the GT, there WILL be a comparison test to see who is baddest in all the land. The trophy will go to the best:

0 - 60 time,
1/4 mile time,
Slalom speed,
Top speed,
70 - 0 Braking.

I don't think the current SRT will win any of these categories. Bob is big on power (the guy had/has a fighter jet for chrisakes). Big power with corvette active suspension, coupe aero and, I'm guessing, traction control, takes 0 - 60, 1/4 mile and top speed. The mid-engine Ford GT should have the advantage in the slalom and 70 - 0 braking.

The point of the lighter lower engine was to try and sweep the table by basically making a lighter, more powerful, front-mid-engine car. However, that's gone over like a **** in the punch bowl.

Perhaps we play for a tie with Corvette (am I the only one who thinks this *****?).

There is enough time to develop a sophisticated launch control, perhaps in conjunction with a change in gearing allowing 0 - 62.5mph in first gear (got to win the Euro comparos too). Good enough to win the 0-60?

I have no inside information, but am convinced the Vette will be packin' an all-aluminum 427 small block. As I mentioned, Lutz is big on power so expect nothing less than 600HP. One of the many aftermarket blower kits could get us past this, although no one has yet convinced me the SRT can handle the heat of prolonged operation on boost. So, figure on a computer controlled wastegate.

A Vette coupe will have an aero advantage over the SRT. Perhaps this can be redressed with a severe chopping of the windshield. An SRT speedster may be able to hang in the top speed challenge although I don't think the soft top will like the ride to 200 MPH. Better add a removable hard top to the list.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WCKDVPR:
we need a fast solution in the 18 month timeframe (may be as simple as a blower on the current car) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, quite simple, the factory can ******** a blower for the short-term, and with a couple of other tweaks, easily putting out 650hp+, that'll blow away the Ford GT and Vette easily.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it seems the goalposts for the super viper hanve shifted. First it sounded like it was going to have to beat the European supercars in GT1 etc.... think hundreds of millions of dollars to go head to head with these beasts that have almost nothing in common with a road car and represent the culmination of billions of dollars in race R & D and experience over decades by the top teams.... and with Mercedes already in there, it ain't likely to get a competitor from its own group.

Now we're looking at beating a Vette or GT40... this seems a lot more sensible and in keeping with what the Viper is meant to be about.

Viperzzilla... you make some good points, but I gotta straighten out a couple of things. One - turbo lag? Man you need to take a ride in a properly sorted car. What people call turbo lag is the fraction of a second that in this case a 8+ litre V10 Viper behaves like a ballastic normal well tuned Viper and when it acts like someones tied you to the horizon with a bungy chord and let it go. Call it lag if you want, but its only relevance is when you go from steady or trailing throttle to heavy throttle...

Boosted turbo power is so enormous, and can be setup up to come on so quickly I defy you to be able to hang onto it out of a turn without some serious feather footing. All cars I've had will boost instantly once underway, and the tiny gap between naturally aspirated power and boost out of a slow tight turn is needed to control the monster. Turbo lag is a dinosaur of a bad setup or the bad old days.

AWD. RWD is fine in a std Viper or even a modifed Viper, but not in a twin turbo setup like we were discussing when you actually want to harness that power around a track. There are plenty of club owners on this board that have boosted Vipers that will run rings around any of the road race Vipers down a dragstrip... but they will get beaten by the much less powerful naturally aspirated Vipers on most circuits because the power simply cannot be harnessed, whereas a typical race n/a Viper can use all its hp much more efficiently. Trying to harness 1000hp with RWD around a circuit would require quite a chassis and suspensions setup - Can Am cars did it, but AWD would make it a lot easier.

That said, the 427 small block should be well overpowered by a hot V10 packing another 100 cubic inches. The 427 is not quad cam or 32 valve so some serious work on the Viper heads to create swirl, flow and velocity figures that are as good as the GM along with a bigger cam and compression to pack in maximum cylinder pressure will do the job nicely. A 700hp Viper engine done properly should be quite reliable, I'd run titanium/alumininum alloy rods for strength, lightweight, and durability. At 700hp a 427 small block will be a *******, their rod stroke ratio ***** for a start.

The SRT already brakes hard... and with ABS and upgrades available, the SRT should be at no disadvantge if the suspension can keep the tires on the road.

Top speed - the coupe version will rewrite the SRT records.

GT40 - I don't see them running much more than 500hp.

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Super Viper" was lifted directly from a recent C&D article where John Fernandez was asked how he would repond to a Dodge - Ford - Chevy horsepower war. His response,"We've always felt we could do a Super Viper if we needed to." (may not be his exact quote, but awfully close)

Viperzilla,

I'm thinking the Super Viper is simply an option, like the Z06. Not an homolgation special. Anybody with money could get one.

Who would that be? Whoever wanted the baddest American sportscar. Some of us bought the Viper for what I call it's Harleyness, but many others bought it simply because its top dog.

I think your point about development effort is spot on. DC has stated that each division must pay its own way, so anything on a Super Viper would have to be something which the current DC staff can whip together fairly easily. I tried to address that in my intiial post, but most people never got past the 3 liters!

The selling price is hardest to define. Would people pay Ferrari money for a Dodge? Ford seems to be probing $140k for the GT. The Shelby series one price has bounced all over the place, but $150k seems to be a reasonable price cap for the kind of company a Super Viper would keep. I can't afford that, but others seem to be able to.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jrkermode

I agree with you, Dodge could do this and win, and people will buy it.

Chrysler is more than capable of making a big impact with a super viper and create a stunner!

"hit the opposition so hard they forget their own name and remember yours forever!"

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an interesting sentance was made and got me thinking..."would people pay Ferrari money for a Dodge?...". perhaps not when you put it like that. but here is where the potential blasphemy comes in...ready? what if it's time for DC to cut the perverbial umbilical cord? yes, i mean make Viper it's OWN brand. it would become the pinnacle of design, power, lust, speed, and beauty that draws from all of DC's resources. i have heard countless commercials, many for various sportscar races, that say something to the effect of "come see the top marqees compete, such as Ferrari, Viper, and Porsche...". in many hearts and minds it already IS it's own entity, so why not give it it's own life? it would then be easier to have a few different models under the Viper name that represent the different ideals such as we are all tossing about in this post. you can have the front engined american inspired brute, the european mid engined serpent, perhaps even a "ferrari 456 GT" fighter (luxury 2+2 GT coupe). who knows, even a Viper LMP/GTP. another thought crossed my mind...would people pay 150k-250k for a "ford"? well that's what they are doing in large part when they are buying an Aston Martin DB7 or Vanquish. "Viper" could be the ultimate true brand expression for ALL of DC. anyway...just a thought, huh?

pit

(please don't stone me, lol)

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by torquemonster:
jrkermode

"hit the opposition so hard they forget their own name and remember yours forever!"

I guess you really are a Kiwi.

Pitviper,

So the DC empire would be comprised of;

Dodge: Entry level and average cars & trucks (&lt;$50k)
Chrysler: Mid luxury cars & trucks (&lt;$100k)
Mercedes: Luxury cars & trucks (&lt;$150k)
Maybach: Pure luxury cars ($unlimited)
Viper: Pure sports cars ($unlimited)

DC could probably pull that off. Unfortunately, that leaves me out of the fray.

How about if Viper was handled Similar to Corvette, a unique brand but layered across the entire DC network. For example:

Maybach dealers could get the W motored, mid-engine Ultimate Viper mentioned above, doing battle with the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of the world.

Merecedes receives a slightly tamer, mid-engined Viper to head off the Ford GT and Porsche 911.

Dodge could sell a lightwieght MR2 / Renault Sport/ Lotus Elite Viper, for us poor folk. (SRT-4 motor in the trunk of the Smart roadster please)

Finally, Chysler gets the front-engined, monster motored SRT to parry Chevrolets Corvette entry.

A nice long term vision, but, how are we going to spank the upcoming Ford and Chevy?

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the layout j. and i'm glad you appreciated my take. i think that what you were saying about "spreading the wealth" of the Viper may also have just as equal a chance to be successful. in fact, there are things about your model that i like more than my own. i'll comment more later, gotta get back to workfor now...grrr...

pit

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. Quit messing around and build a super viper. Something where we don't have to worry about the next this or that from the usual suspects (Vette, Ford GT). Do an all out car, maybe even a limited edition like the Z06 if they have to, but do it.&lt;P&gt;I like the idea of a low weight, high horsepower Viper. DC can do this! Just look at the upcoming S62 AMG merc: V12, twin turbo, over 600 hp - they have the technology - and the parts!&lt;P&gt;Sure huge torque is fun and easy to drive around on the street but it generally comes at the expense of huge weight. Having tracked my Viper quite a bit over the past few years, I agree with Jim that weight is a huge issue. To be heavy and go fast you need huge tires, huge brakes, lots of downforce, etc. And this stuff just tears up the car due to heat and extreme loading(wheel bearings, bushings, etc).&lt;P&gt;I'll add more later when I have time but Jim's right, we need a fast solution in the 18 month timeframe (may be as simple as a blower on the current car) followed by an end all car.&lt;P&gt;Hey pitviper, congrats on the BUCS!&lt;P&gt;Regards,&lt;BR&gt;&lt;P&gt;

I DISCUSSED IN MY "TIRADE" EXACTLY THE SAME POINTS!!

LET THE DC FORCED INDUCTION ENGINEERS LOOSE ON A VIPER AND WE COULD EASILY HAVE A LIGHT WEIGHT 700HP V-10 SUPER VIPER THAT WOULD BE EMISSIONS FRIENDLY..

I WONDER IF THE NICE VCA GUYS REALLY ADDED A SPELL CHECK BUTTON JUST FOR ME?? NAAW...

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about "evolving" the current Viper motor into a V12? what would be the pros and cons? would we keep the same displacement? just a thought to keep the creative juices flowin'...

pit

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it seems the goalposts for the super viper hanve shifted. First it sounded like it was going to have to beat the European supercars in GT1 etc.... think hundreds of millions of dollars to go head to head with these beasts that have almost nothing in common with a road car and represent the culmination of billions of dollars in race R &amp; D and experience over decades by the top teams.... and with Mercedes already in there, it ain't likely to get a competitor from its own group.&lt;P&gt;Now we're looking at beating a Vette or GT40... this seems a lot more sensible and in keeping with what the Viper is meant to be about.&lt;P&gt;Viperzzilla... you make some good points, but I gotta straighten out a couple of things. One - turbo lag? Man you need to take a ride in a properly sorted car. What people call turbo lag is the fraction of a second that in this case a 8+ litre V10 Viper behaves like a ballastic normal well tuned Viper and when it acts like someones tied you to the horizon with a bungy chord and let it go. Call it lag if you want, but its only relevance is when you go from steady or trailing throttle to heavy throttle... &lt;P&gt;Boosted
turbo power is so enormous, and can be setup up to come on so quickly I defy you to be able to hang onto it out of a turn without some serious feather footing. All cars I've had will boost instantly once underway, and the tiny gap between naturally aspirated power and boost out of a slow tight turn is needed to control the monster. Turbo lag is a dinosaur of a bad setup or the bad old days.&lt;P&gt;AWD. RWD is fine in a std Viper or even a modifed Viper, but not in a twin turbo setup like we were discussing when you actually want to harness that power around a track. There are plenty of club owners on this board that have boosted Vipers that will run rings around any of the road race Vipers down a dragstrip... but they will get beaten by the much less powerful naturally aspirated Vipers on most circuits because the power simply cannot be harnessed, whereas a typical race n/a Viper can use all its hp much more efficiently. Trying to harness 1000hp with RWD around a circuit would require quite a chassis and suspensions setup - Can Am cars did it, but AWD would make it a lot easier.&lt;P&gt;That said, the 427 small block should be well overpowered by a hot V10 packing another 100 cubic inches. The 427 is not quad cam or 32 valve so some serious work on the Viper heads to create swirl, flow and velocity figures that are as good as the GM along with a bigger cam and compression to pack in maximum cylinder pressure will do the job nicely. A 700hp Viper engine done properly should be quite reliable, I'd run titanium/alumininum alloy rods for strength, lightweight, and durability. At 700hp a 427 small block will be a *******, their rod stroke ratio ***** for a start.&lt;P&gt;The SRT already brakes hard... and with ABS and upgrades available, the SRT should be at no disadvantge if the suspension can keep the tires on the road.&lt;P&gt;Top speed - the coupe version will rewrite the SRT records.&lt;P&gt;GT40 - I don't see them running much more than 500hp.&lt;P&gt;&lt;P&gt;

Torquemonster, I love everything you have to say, you really know quite a lot about everything. I agree that the current Viper is too heavy to be the ultimate road race car. I am sure everybody would love a lighter Viper, but consider this: The Ferrari Enzo weighs about 3,000 LBS. I think this is why the Mclaren F-1 is faster in all of the acceleration tests. What I anxiously await is the day when I can buy a magazine that has a test comparing the Mclaren F-1 and the Ferrari Enzo. I would be willing to bet that even though the F-1 is faster acceleration wise, it will get SMOKED by the Enzo around just about any high speed road course as it can pull 1.4 G's ON STREET TIRES. The Enzo's brakes are much better and I would guess that it has more downforce than the F-1 in general. With all that said, the F-1 weighs about 2,700 LBS for the street car version(I could be slightly off here but I should be pretty close here as the LeMans F-1's were around 2450 LBS) THe Enzo weighs 3,000 LBS. 3,000 LBS with all that carbon fiber and exotic materials. I would be willing to guess that the Enzo would be as fast as the F-1 or faster for all out acceleration if it weighed 300 LBS less. Does it matter, maybe yes, maybe no. Will my supercharged Viper smoke the living **** out of both of them? Absolutely! Does this even count? Only if we come up against each other on the street and Enzo Who Smokes the real Enzo, or the F-1. What would this prove? Whatever whoever wants it to prove, right? We all could use the mustang/supra/vette argument and say the Viper rules in the "bang for the buck" argument which is totally worthless in my opinion.

What I am getting at here is this: What would be the purpose for the "Super Viper"? Does it really need to be 2600 LBS? I think Torquemonster is right on here with the AWD idea. I think they could do an 800-900 HP supercharged AWD Viper weighing around 3,000 LBS(no heavier than the Enzo) and suspension setup/chassis rigidity and large enough tires so the Viper could pull at least 1.4 G's on street tires(like the Enzo=&gt; but with the ball$ of a Viper{true to the soul of the Viper as well}) Would people buy an AWD Supercharged Viper that could do all of this for 250-300K, I think they would! It would take nothing to do a better head design, 1.7 T&amp;D's, cam, supercharger with proper fuel system, intercooler, more lightweight bodyparts, stripped interior(true to the original roughness of the first viper), AWD could fit in front of the engine in the SRT with the motor being further back and lowered. I think THIS could be done in 18 months==&gt; This would redefine the benchmark of a supercar performance for generations to come and really give people a bang for their 250-300K buck. Paolo

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jrkermde - grin. But the comment does not mean hurting anyone, just going for broke and setting a new benchmark... if you're gonna go for a win, might as well make it last for a while ;)

super viper: Why try to be like the others - stick with the 8 litres but add 4 valves per cylinder, quad cam, variable valve timing - t'all sounds good to me. That'll give the Vette boys something to worry about... they still mourn the old Lotus developed ZR1, and that only had 5.7 litres. Bringing the V10 up to date like that would provide gains in every department including economy... but add some width and weight which may need to be offset by redesigned block and lighter alloys. A 40V quad cam V10 in mild street tune could expect to command over 700hp while being able to cruise at great mileage.... more if half the cylinders cut off at light throttle. The 4 valves enable hemi top end power with small valve bottom end, the variable valve timing adds to that. 1000hp naturally aspirated easy, still streetable, still that famous bottom end/mid-range Viper punch - which now pales into insignificance in comparison to what happens as the rpms rise :) ! sign me up

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paolo!

Shucks man, I don't know what to say...

Of course I agree with you, such a car could be built in that timeframe if the political will was there.

You make an excellent point re "ultimate car" - ulitmate for what? No car can be best at everything. A rally based car will always win on any twisty road that is what we in NZ would call a class 2 road (paved but plenty of bumps and dips and the odd *** hole etc). A road race track car will always beat a drag car around a circuit and vice verser. So "ultimate" is only relevant to what we compare to with one purpose in mind - beyond that it gets very subjective.

The Veyron will embarrass an F1, Enzo or anything else in production for the normal statistics magazines compare cars by.... but I doubt it will beat an Enzo around a circuit... It will however be more comfortable and the obvious choice for a long trip.

So a Super Viper can only be the ultimate for a specific purpose and beyond that - its only ultimate subjectively in the minds of those whose imaginations it captures... like ours ;) but it won't convert a Vette or GT40 fanatic to swap sides (actually I think "sides" is a load of crap - all 3 of the big US makers put some good stuff out... but as long its kept in good fun, theres no harm in a little rivalry ;)

What do you think of my comment about a 4 valve, variable timing quad cam Viper?
The Supra boys will want to stay home then as their 3 litres will suddenly be 5 litres too little ;) afterall, we all know what multi-valve and cam engines can be like with turbos or superchargers... add 8+ litres into it and the **** have no answer... but we'd DEFINITELY NEED AWD!

FYI the top *** 2.7 litre Skylines run mid seven second passes in full steel body cars... a high tech 8 litre V10 can obviously beat that IF THE BLOCK was strong enough... block cracking is a major issue over a certain hp/cube.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paolo!

Shucks man, I don't know what to say...

Of course I agree with you, such a car could be built in that timeframe if the political will was there.

You make an excellent point re "ultimate car" - ulitmate for what? No car can be best at everything. A rally based car will always win on any twisty road that is what we in NZ would call a class 2 road (paved but plenty of bumps and dips and the odd *** hole etc). A road race track car will always beat a drag car around a circuit and vice verser. So "ultimate" is only relevant to what we compare to with one purpose in mind - beyond that it gets very subjective.

The Veyron will embarrass an F1, Enzo or anything else in production for the normal statistics magazines compare cars by.... but I doubt it will beat an Enzo around a circuit... It will however be more comfortable and the obvious choice for a long trip.

So a Super Viper can only be the ultimate for a specific purpose and beyond that - its only ultimate subjectively in the minds of those whose imaginations it captures... like ours ;) but it won't convert a Vette or GT40 fanatic to swap sides (actually I think "sides" is a load of crap - all 3 of the big US makers put some good stuff out... but as long its kept in good fun, theres no harm in a little rivalry ;)

What do you think of my comment about a 4 valve, variable timing quad cam Viper?
The Supra boys will want to stay home then as their 3 litres will suddenly be 5 litres too little ;) afterall, we all know what multi-valve and cam engines can be like with turbos or superchargers... add 8+ litres into it and the **** have no answer... but we'd DEFINITELY NEED AWD!

FYI the top *** 2.7 litre Skylines run mid seven second passes in full steel body cars... a high tech 8 litre V10 can obviously beat that IF THE BLOCK was strong enough... block cracking is a major issue over a certain hp/cube.

Torquemonster, the 4 valve, variable timing quad cam Viper, would be cool, but I remember talking to one of the DC executives and they had mentioned that if they did that, they would have to spend millions of dollars geting this new design to be recertified for emisssions and a whole bunch of other stuff that would take a long time. That's why I suggested what I did for the 18 month time frame because the Viper has enough cubes to not need to do that and would make plenty of power on boost anyway and would not be stressed all that much by just adding a blower, fuel system and slightly better heads and exhaust. I also think that with the new longer wheelbase, the AWD could be done fairly quickly as well. Paolo

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokin' all 4 tires, has enormous appeal to me! (Nadine will need a new Avatar)

I haven't been under an SRT, is there room? We need space in the tranny tunnel for a transfer case, typically a big lump under the passenger seat. We need space in the tunnel and engine compartment for the driveshaft. Can this space be stolen from the passenger footwell? Less than half the power goes to the front, but I think that's still enough that we would need u-joints instead of CV joints. So, we need to be careful with driveshaft/u-joint angles.

I suspect we have enough space in front of the motor for a diff. A good combo would be a Prowler diff, heavily offset to the passenger side. The passenger side could mate directly to a SRT4 driveshaft, the driver's side would need a simple drive tube passing in front of the motor, before it too powered through an SRT4 driveshaft.

I don't believe any of these mods would require emissions recertification, and, depending on the nature of the passenger side mods, may not require crash testing. I think warranty recertification would be straight forward sense everything essentially comes from the parts bin.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here guys, DC's only excuse for not doing this is because they are a bunch of weenies, right?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a kiwi, we can make anything fit!

Seriously though, a viper is too good a car to add a "make do" awd setup using bin parts. The end result would be a supercar that drove like a truck!

I see only 2 ways to do it - either the group invests in a computer controlled AWD setup for performance cars - like Audi, Nissan, Porsche and Lamborghini have OR, they buy the setup of one of those and beef it up to suit. Porsche do a lot of development work for other makes, so if the others were not for sale, their system would be.

The first option will happen, but probably not within 18 months. GM in Australia is doing an AWD system for sports sedans (2 and 4 door) low to the ground, with hi output V8 power under development now - prototypes already out. Ford is working on it. Mercedes/Chrylser have no AWD answer to Audi, Porsche, VW, and soon Ford or GM.... so they will have to develop one as it is the future. But the truck AWD setups the group now has (Dodge trucks or Merc M series) are not the answer - too heavy and crude, tho the M series would be better than the truck or makeshift option.

So second option is only way to go in tight time frame - use an existing platform, pay the royalty, adapt it to the Viper, test it, bullet proof it and Bobs your aunt. Power would be fed to the other 3 wheels if one loses traction, with wheelspin able to be dialed in as desired... for guys who want to hang the tail out in a powerslide. A flick of the switch turns off the front and leaves you with rwd for burnouts or dyno pulls.

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torquemonster,

Even the fanciest of systems aren't much more complicated than what I described, so I'm not sure what you mean by driving like a truck. Weisman was building AWD Chryslers back in the Iaccoca days. It's not as special as you think. But, in keeping with America's dedication to international peace, here's what we'll do.

Replace the existing gearbox with a "custom" unit from Xtrac. This would be their standard road racing tranny mated to one of their viscous power take-off units (the fully automatic kind they use in World Rally). Want sequential shift? Seven speeds?.

The drive to the front can't get much more sophisticated, than what I described. Would a carbon fiber driveshaft make you happy?

The front diff still needs to house a ring, pinion, bearings and limited slip unit. So, the Prowler pieces are still the right ones to use. However, we can hide their pedestrian origins by making new aluminum castings for the diff housing, perhaps even casting it somehow integral with the sump. Drives tubes to the left and right of the car could also be carbon fiber.

The driveshafts again can't get any more or less sophisticated, so we'll stick with the SRT4 units.

Is that fancy enough for you?

If you still want to send a bushel of money to Porsche, perhaps DC could throw in a Boxster with each new car.

In any case, we're still easily within an 18 month timeframe.

P.S. You're idea about a switch to decouple the front drive train would require some variation on a conventioanl transfer case. I've never heard of this on-off capability being merged with the vicsous coupling that you also wanted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960