Supercarschicago drag shootout results - PICS!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We started with a caravan of 30 cars to Great Lakes Dragaway, cruising fine with lanes of supercars left to right, when I thought I heard a bee go by; no its a GSXR1000, then Paolo Castellano with his insanely loud side pipe 96 GTS. Paolo ran him several times from about 65 mph and got spanked until about 100 at which point it was pretty even. I then tried a few times(without juice): same spanking.

The turnout was great, 55 cars including several 8 second 10.5" tire class cars(thanks tony AES racing).

The Vipers won with 3 TOOFAST NOS setups running the fastest. Butch the Snake's 150-shot 01 Yellow GTS bagged the event with a 10.90 @ 131mph. TOOFAST NOS joins BTR's 10 second club thanks to Tom's drag race video and Purner's slicks and skinnies. Paul's 150-shot 98 red GTS ran 11.50's(2.1s 60fts) on the cords of his pilots @ 133mph.

A mean looking blk RX7 blew his diff at the line, so after setting him up with my AAA tow and rushing to get the slicks on, gave me 15 min before track close to run the 4 fogger setup.
After a good burnout, all eyes were on me at the line. Then came a 4500 rpm hook-go-KABOOM! The car hooked and rpm dropped with the NOS on too early; the resulting burp blew my airbox to pieces and the NACA duct out of the hood. Cleaned everything up and ran 11.44 @ 131, with juice on 3rd, 4th. MSD rpm switch's still on order, Boo!

The GSXR1000 ran off several 10.40's. The blue/with GTS's of Bob Woodbury 12.0, Chuck 97 GTS's 12.1, Paolo 12.1 breaking his half shaft closing in on 40 runs,could be a national record. Isaac is the King of Launching clicking off 1.8 and 1.9 short times all day in his graphite/silver stripes 02 GTS.

Thanks to all, the Supra club, Mr.Z06, VetteWrench Brian (ripping 11.80 with a 125 shot and a great guy to boot), and Dennis for all Nestle candy. Fastest chick was Butch the Snakes Daughter Tara running 14's all day (1st time racing) with her supercharged V-TEC Civic with coffee can muffler! Classic video coming!

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer on the backfire.... sounds like you guys had fun.... mine was out.... now that me and Bob are tied for lowest E.T.'s (no NOS) I'll have to come out and beat it SOON!

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOOOFST...A BIG THANKS TO YOU AND THE REST OF THE GUYS!
cool.gif
I had a great time and we must do it again after I get some more mods done to the car
smile.gif

My best run was 12.36 with a 2.075 60' and 117.80 mph trap speed. Too bad I wasn't able to get those new tires put on because I think it would have helped my 60' a little
frown.gif
Overall I don't think I did too bad for the first time out with the car
smile.gif
Time for some headers and 3" cat backs.

Thanks again TOOOFST!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big thank you goes out to Scotty 'TOOOFAST' for putting together such an awesome event! Also big thanks to Dave Blankenbaker for trailering my car and being my pit crew. Dave actually saved the day for several of the guys. He happened to have a spare set of halfshafts in his trailer which came in REAL handy when Paolo broke his. So enough yapping, here's some pics:

Dave and Paolo fixing his halfshaft:

You must be registered for see images

The halfshaft broken with STREET TIRES:

Paolo holding his halfshaft:

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Butch the Snakes 150shot 01 Yellow GTS bagged the event with a 10.90 @ 131mph.TOOFAST NOS joins BTRs 10second club with thanks to Tom's drag race video.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations to Butch for becoming the newest member of the BTR Viper "Whoop Asp Race Team".

Paolo I am sorry to hear about your half shafts. Give Tom Welch a call at the telephone number below and he will set you up with a pair that will not break.

Tom Welch - BTR Viper
407-678-3100

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now for some pics of my EX-garage queen just for Chuck 98 RT/10. My best run was a 12.130 @ 121.62 on a 2.005 60'. I did manage a 1.988 60' but only a 12.21. Gotta work on those launches!

The trailer/track queen in all her glory:

Packed up and ready to go:

Dave's fuel on the fire for the Chuck / Paolo grudge match:

Paolo and the trailer queen in the background:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with trailering your car Chuck. Although I prefer to drive as you well know about my round trip - Tampa-Chicago-Road America-Des Moines-Tampa.

Where'd you get the trailer? Rent, borrow or buy?

Congrats on the run.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The towing rig was provided courtesy of Dave Blankenbaker of Blankenbaker Racing. Although I think he almost ran out of fuel on purpose just to scare me.
smile.gif

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Tooofst this was a great gathering for all car buffs, from the time we all left my house to the time we all took off from the meeting place. Tooofst for got about the wheelie's the GSX1000 was pulling on the highway next to us at 60-120 mph, wow what a great rider Mark was. We had broken into four to five groups of on the highway, everybody jockeying for position. It was a mad rush to GLD with only 2 traffic tickets.

I think everyone had more fun crusing and talking cars than racing, not that my 10.90 e.t. wasn't great. The Supra guy's were cool, Brian from Vette Wrench was great. Thanks to Allen from Genesis Racing for their showing with the Suburu's, Acura's and Honda's.

Running my 10.90 e.t. was harder than we thought , the 95-100 degree heat index definitly made our runs more difficult. Thanks to Scott and Kadry for the tech support, I could not have done it with out The Westlake team.

Can't wait for the next event.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a blast that day was. I never saw so many people run to a car that just went kaboom. Thankfully everything was OK. Just wanted to thank you guys for aloowing me to hang around with you, (Maroon 1986 Nissan 300ZX turbo). I got lots of great stories and never met a better group of people. Thanks again. And oh, I never knew I94 could be sooooo much fun. I just can't believe my brakes took it.

Tom

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great read, great read!

Thanks for the pix--but none of your hood! WASSSAAAAP...

Really sorry to hear about the Boom...hope that didn't ruin your day completely...My kids were wide eyed but fascinated to hear that you taped everything back together and ran again anyhow!

Marcus Frost

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also want to thank you Scott for organizing such a fun time. I din't have to run to have a lot of fun, and even though I got 2 tickets on the way there it was a beautiful day with a lot of great fast exotics running it to the max. Great time, great cars, great crowd.

Thanks my friend.

-m

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marcus Frost on 06-02-2002 at 05:21 PM</font>

OP
OP
T

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
crying.gif
Thanks back at ya gearheads!
For every - there's a +.Supra guy Faraz gave me the idea of fabricating a polished aluminum scoop,it would match the polished wide spoke wheels!
I was dissapointed that local super tuners SVSi didn't show with the 1300hp Streaker or any of their work.
Gotta be more pics out there,we had a hollywood film crew!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Scott, if you put an aluminum duct on that thing we are going to change your name to HOOPTYFAST.
puke.gif

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Scotty for organizing the most fun event I have been to ever as we were all able to run as many times as we wanted! I still think the most fun was driving there and back! I also have to thank Dave Blankenbaker for saving my a$$ again with OF COURSE having a spare halfshaft along with all the necessary tools and loc-tite/etc... to do the proper job! I was breaking Chuck's ball$ about trailering the car but if he had not had Dave's trailer/truck and Dave+tools, I would have been riding home in a tow truck! I have to say that this open format with a more diverse group of gear heads was refreshing and exciting, my hat is off to Scotty TOOOFAST! Scott also had ******* girls there which most of us missed because we were too busy making as many passes as we could! I hope someone has some video of that part! Thanks again all and good night! Paolo

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there is video of the drive back.; I can't wait to see it. Wish we all hadn't gotten split up at the toll. Paolo, any idea what your breaking distances are? That thing would slow down f-in fast. I always had to leave extra room when i was following you. thanks again, and hopefully by the next event my car will be worthy of running with you guys a little.

Tom

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys look like you know how to have some fun!! Bring that bunch down to Norwalk in Sept for the Viper Nationals.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess no one talked about the internal battle between the Viper's. There was Chunk 97GTS, Issac 02GTS, Paulo 97GTS and Dennis 99RT/10. Chuck had prepared for this day for a month, Chunk had dug up everything on drag racing he could find. Chuck had even tried to get in contact with Big Daddy Don Garlits for some tips but Big Daddy told him to stick it. Chuck practiced *ick shifting every night by himself (if you know what I mean), he studied Tom Welchs video (about 100 times) until the tape snaped because of excessive use (no problem Chunk had 5 copies and 5 more on order). Chuck was ready, with his Viper on Dave Blankenbakers trailer and the j*z cleaned off his hood from the night before he was race ready (there was no one more EXCESSIVE than this guy, story later). Issac this guy is as smooth as silk, a real lady's man, he always has a Big Breasted blonde hanging around to be cool. This guy never misses a shift, with a 1.8 60 footer (Chucks Idle) and never missing a shift he was was one of the most consitent driver's around. Then there was Peblo Castellano this guy is as cool as ice, power sliding at 100 m.p.h. is a breeze for him. He crusies at speeds of 140-190 m.p.h., shifts without a clutch. Easily changed his half shaft in an hour, I think he set a record for quarter mile runs 25-30 passes that day. Now Dennis he's of asian ancestry, Dennis is new to the group jumping off the Corvette ship he finally got smart came around and picked up a Viper. Dennis had NOS on his Vette but was still no match for a V-10. All these guy's were running within hundreds of a second of each other, all claiming to be the best driver in their own mind. But we know who the best driver is don't we.

Special thanks Dave Blankenbaker for the use of his air filters.

-----------------
01 GTS
650 H.P. 750 T.Q.
10.90 E.T. @ 130 M.P.H.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
You guys look like you know how to have some fun!! Bring that bunch down to Norwalk in Sept for the Viper Nationals.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--------------------------------------------

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual, the nitrous has been leaking in Butch's GTS and he is a bit out of it. Let's see if we can clarify and make some kind of sense of his rambling diatribe:

1. It's Paolo, not Paulo or Peblo.

2. He has a 96 GTS, not 97.

3. It's EXCESSIVE Chuck, not Chunk.

4. It was SoCal Rebel's video tape that I wore out, not Tom Welch's.

5. Isaac is my IDOL, not idle.

6. I'm surprised you even know who Don Garlits is.

vinman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my first time racing this car, and it showed!!

After "Shaq-Peddling" the car off the line a half dozen times (applying too much throttle), I finally figured out you have to baby that thing out of the hole to do better. (Still only managed a 12.37 at 116.99 mph. with 2.07 60 ft time on last run)

my best 60 foot was 2.01, but that only converted to a 12.49 at 117.5 mph. (prolly shifted to fourth too early)

I must confess, I always had small blocks until now, you had to come off the line at high RPMS with those small blocks to get decent ETs, wheelspin wasn't as critical as keeping the engine in its power range. I'm thinkin I just have to get used to this car, faster with clutch and stop lifting the throttle all the way between shifts..

anyway.. I had a blast, thanks to Scott for setting this up. looking forward to comin out again (probably finishing off those Pilots!)

"Shaq"

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vinman:
my first time racing this car, and it showed!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
----------------------------------------------

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to scotty TOOOFST, for the unbelievable
job he did on organizing this event. Butch the snake that was a beautiful run you made, no matter what they say your my idol.
I just wanted to say to all non- creampuffed drivers that your cars needed one thing to go faster, me driving. Chucky I had a surprise for you if you had broken in to 11's. she 5'9" blonde with 36 D. Maybe next time.
I was very happy with the creampuffs #'s, 12.1@119 w/ 1.8 60', i think it will do much better next time with the full headers and 3" exhaust thanks to Butch the snake for helping me get it.
Again thanks to everyone that made that day possible and also to everyone that showed up. Happy Racing

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put that 5'9" blonde with 36D at the end of the 1/4 mile in Chucko's lane and I'm sure he'll put up some good times or get stuck using the wrong shifter at the starting lights
laugh.gif
Isaac, bring more of them friends of yours around
smile.gif

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by isaac460:

I just wanted to say to all non- creampuffed drivers that your cars needed one thing to go faster, me driving. Chucky I had a surprise for you if you had broken in to 11's. she 5'9" blonde with 36 D. Maybe next time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't you tell me that??? I would have tried 30 or 40 more times! BTW, this was my first time at the track with my car too, so I need more practice!
tongue.gif

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chucky.... that's no excuse, I pulled a 12.08 my very first time drag racing. I wish I could have made it. NEXT TIME, let me know a few weeks in advance so I can tell customers it's rented.... I'm at the next one for sure....

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Why didn't you tell me that??? I would have tried 30 or 40 more times! BTW, this was my first time at the track with my car too, so I need more practice!
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
----------------------------------------------

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Viper Fans here are the times as follow:

Chuck 97 GTS 12.1 e.t. @ 121 m.p.h
Issac 02 GTS 12.1 e.t. @ 119 m.p.h.
Paolo 96 GTS 12.1 e.t. @ 119 m.p.h.
Bob W 96 GTS 12.0 e.t. @ 119 m.p.h.
Dennis 99 RT/10 12.3 e.t. @ 117 m.p.h.
Vinman 01 GTS 12.3 e.t. @ 117 m.p.h.
Gary G RT/10 12.4 e.t.
Paul 98 GTS 11.6 e.t. @ 134 m.p.h.
Tooofst 11.4 e.t. @ 131 m.p.h.
Butch 10.90 e.t. @ 131 m.p.h.

Good showing Vipers!

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually did a 15.67 run at 67mph. I wonder is that would win the slowest run. I had a passenger and was messin around with my buddy in his 97 M3 throughout the run
smile.gif
Now he can say he beat a VIPER.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4