Supercharged Viper in Switzerland: Crash Boom Bang, LIGHT WEIGHT??

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Silly drivers are all around the planet. Usually I laugh at the others, this time I have learned to keep quiet. Alcohol and driving doesn't mix. Not enough sleep has the same effect. As usual I was blowing of the doors of a bunch of pretty Porsches at Dijon(in France) but 4hours sleep and a hard working week ended with: "There is a turn after the straight you idiot!" Well, I did half of it. The rest half was managed by the body of my Viper. So it needs mending and comes the question: why not spend the money and turn it into a racer!?
My question are:
1/How much weight can I save by emptying the car, changing the glass to lexan and add lightweight hood, front bumper and rear fascia?
2/Is there much to gain by adding a flat underbody to add down force?
3/Is the biggest gain with the above or front fascia+wing or both?
Mine has the SR supercharger. I love the idea: stock engine, cheap to exchange if destroyed and no Porsche has beaten me in acceleration.
Thanks for your advice and don't forget to rest before to race!!
Anders

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too bad. The fantastic thing with fiberglass is either it pops in and out or it brakes. It needs front and rear fascias, left sill, and all the left half needs new paint(I have tire impressions in the paint all over it...). Anybody with a bi-colour right left scheme?
Also for you race guys I used to have 285 Pirelli slicks up front and the car would understeer under full acceleration in the turn before the straight. Now I run 305 Pirellis. Difference: +12mph!!! at the beginning of the straight.
Have fun!!
Anders

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry,
I don't have the possibility to post pictures but when I think about how much my ribs hurt and then look at the car, I am amazed about the solidity of fiberglass. The body panels have shifted a little and there is a 1/2" rip in the rear bumper. Any metal car would need new front bumper, left fender,door, quarter panel and rear bumper. Apart of that I need new left rear lights and a complete left half car paint. I will add stripes(tape) to keep cost down. Experience has shown that I need from time to time new paint on my car...(not always my fault).
Have fun.
Anders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine