supercharger vs turbo

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has to be one of the most debated topics here...try using the search feature "Turbo vs. Supercharger", "Roe vs. Paxton" should yield some fruit.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted above, this is a frequently debated topic. A few comments to help you focus your inquiry:

1. There is a difference depending on whether you are asking about Gen I and II or Gen III. Gen IV cannot be supercharged or turbocharged - yet.

2. The stock Paxton kit for Gen III's, which has a limited three year warranty with an optional drivetrain warranty available, when installed by an experienced person, is bullet proof. To my knowledge, no one is offering a warranty with the installation of a turbo system.

3.The installation of the stock Paxton kit on a Gen III does not require any change to the rest of the engine. All of the turbo applications that I have read about on this site require some engine work, e.g. piston change out, etc. Take a look at Heffner's website to give you an idea of the work involved and the cost of a quality turbo installation. It is far more dollars than the installation of a stock Paxton kit.

4. Beyond about 750 flywheel HP, without some suspension mods and drag radials, traction becomes more than a little bit of a problem.

5. If you are looking at systems for a Gen I or II, you also have to evaluate the Roe supercharger. It's a twin screw instead of a centrifugal supercharger like the Paxton and it produces power starting at about 1800 RPM. There are threads and many posts discussing the pros and cons of this system.

Good luck. You have alot of homework to do.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boost is boost, whether S/C'd or Turbocharged. There are a plethora of ways to make them more efficient and safer to run more boost and fuel(cooling the intake air, ignition & computer changes, etc) but still, you can still only stuff so much boost without upgrading parts in your motor. Boils down to expense, warranty, looks, and what your intentions are. S/C's are cheaper and easier to install. Turbos can run more efficient since it's driven by exhaust vice a belt. ROE has more power off the line, Paxton has more power top end (without upgrading those systems). I have a Paxton on my Gen III and love it. Still needs a bit more tuning down low, but the cost of it, install and tuning put me right at your budget.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UGR give 24months warranty on turbo builds

D

DAMN YANKEE

Roe, do it yourself, enjoy the ride...

bigun.jpg

D

DAMN YANKEE

It looks exactly like this minus any additional performance work that looks at all good. :>

Here is how simple a 1,000hp supercharger can be..
Keep it simple, go fast...go Roe.

Click on the photo...
You must be registered for see images

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks exactly like this minus any additional performance work that looks at all good. :>

Here is how simple a 1,000hp supercharger can be..
Keep it simple, go fast...go Roe.

Click on the photo...
That's wicked man!!:2tu:

Looks like he needs to tighten the belt on that puppy though.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the differences are in what kind of power you want. Using a Roe feels like you fust installed a 1000 cubic inches of engine. The Roe is an easy instal and no frame chopping/removal required.

Paxton runs stock power at idle and makes big power at high rpms. The upper crossmember in front of engine needs to be removed. Much more time consuming instal.

TT is like a Paxton except more expensive, a lot more. A huge amount of time required to instal as well as lots of cutting for all kits. Total exhuast change required.

After 700rwhp you start breaking things, driveaxles, clutch, pistons, etc.

Ted

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My paxton was a beast...I just want more. PowerGreed?

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the basic Paxton kit on my 02. Stock internals and fuel system at 545rwhp. Obviously headers and exhaust, but otherwise stock. $10,000 installed by Heffner. I've had my setup for 2 years now untouched with no problems, except a lot of heat soak and wanting more power.
Cost isn't much different from the basic Paxton vs. the Roe. The Roe is a do it your selfer and the Paxton isn't, atleast in my case. I chose the Paxton due to the future hp potential.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After thinking about this for about 1 second in 3rd gear, I am sure of it, the turbos are better. :)

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well if you can afford tt do it if your looking for great power under ten g's paxton and roe are your best choices crazy power can be made with paxton and tt i beleive roe is stuck around 750 whp correct me if im wrong that just seems to be the # i keep seeing

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reading various threads here you'll find 8-900 Paxton and TTs go 10s with that hp. My 720rwhp Roe went 10.5@`139mph on street tires.

I could upgrade to race gas, but since I don't have a rollcage safety harness, SFI approved everything andmy car is a street car, not a trailer/drag car I don't have much use for too mcuh more power. I do have a 100hp Nitrous kit that will take 300hp jets, but can't imagine ever using it. I ported the heads in Aug so my hp is up higher than the 720 listed in my sig. I'm also using just a 10# pulley on my blower. For occaissional use 14# boost is possible with a Roe.

I imagine Sean Roe could help you design/setup a Whipple sc that would pump out over 1,000rwhp as he's done a lot of research and testing on these.

Big hp (anything over 650-700 requires aftermarket forged pistons for reliability. Then aftermarket connecting rods adn billet maincaps in the engine. Intercoolers, extreme supoerchargers and TTs required chopping of the car. Some kits require only smaller holes in your car, but a large whipple supercharger would require a hole in your hood. All race/huge hp cars need a rollcage for strenth of teh car as well.

Ted