Supercharging ?? What $$$ would i be looking at???

dbvettez06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at a 99 or a 00 GTS....The 99 seems a better choice for modding...What kind of $$$ would i be looking at, and some suggestions of good tuners to call..Not looking for a king of the hill car, but something you could drive anywhere, no hassles.. :laugh:

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 may be better choice. Depends on the boost. 5lbs is fin on the 00 and later motors.

6-7 grand on a Paxton or ROE.

Roughly 15 and up for a DLM or HEFF depending on how redicilous you want to go.

People have had good luck with the ROE kit. Its looks pretty sweet too.

Good luck.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to sink a few grand into headers, exhaust and 1.7 rockers before the bolt-on supercharger. Just a little added bonus to make the blower run to its full potential.

OP
OP
D

dbvettez06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to sink a few grand into headers, exhaust and 1.7 rockers before the bolt-on supercharger. Just a little added bonus to make the blower run to its full potential.

Thanks for the info, just how restrictive is the stock exhaust? :cool:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The earlier GTS's had manifolds that I imagine restricted flow. Later on they went to tubular headers, not quite sure on the size. I would definately ditch the stock exhaust for a 3" one and the giant stock cats with either high flow cats or no cats at all (depending on your emission laws). I know Roe recomends hf cats and exhaust for their setup. I don't know it its a must, but to me it is. Heat would definately be reduced with an aftermarket exhaust.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are significant differences between centrifugal and twin screw superchargers, in installation, cost, potential HP/TQ and the corresponding rpms.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a 99 and call Doug levin Motorsports. You can save all the other cash on exhaust and other stuff you dont need to spend on.
You can make about 700 rwhp on a DLM level 1 supercharger system :headbang:
Max

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a 99 and call Doug levin Motorsports. You can save all the other cash on exhaust and other stuff you dont need to spend on.
You can make about 700 rwhp on a DLM level 1 supercharger system :headbang:
Max

I thought Doug said the DLM level 1 was 600+ RWHP and that is what it says on his website. Where do you see 700 RWHP?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Doug said the DLM level 1 was 600 RWHP and that is what it says on his website. Where do you see 700 RWHP?

We see it in new owners posting their dyno numbers. Doug hasn't updated his website numbers in several years, and they were conservative to begin with. He likes to underpromise and overdeliver, and the Level 1's have been making low 700's for some time now.

OP
OP
D

dbvettez06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the help, i am also learning where NOT to take a Viper for mods...Honestly though, having 600-700 lbs of tq really does something to me :shocked:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something to think about, when was the first year for ABS...2001? One guy who rear ended another vehicle just posted wishing he had ABS.

Unless you really need more than the 700hp a DLM creampuff might give you with ABS to boot, it'd be something to think about.

You can't practically add ABS later to an older car...

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the parts/costs involved in upgrading a creampuff to be on par with the 96-99 motor?

As I consider a new Viper I'm looking at 2 models:

A 96-97 in Viper Blue with White stripes (for the engine build capabilities and great color, also lower $$$).

And an 01 in Sapphire Blue with Silver stipes (for the ABS and great color)

I'm torn between the early motor, and ABS. As I am learning, its a helluva lot easier to buy an ABS model and beef up the motor. I'm really taken by the Viper Blue on the 96-97 though, and do plan on building the motor, at least to the 600-700hp range and possibly beyond, hence my dilemma with an 01 since I'll be doing this on a rather limited budget (I can't just drop it off with a tuner along with a blank check like some guys here).

My thought is to do headers/exhaust and rockers, then follow it up with mostly likely a Roe blower a year or so after.

thx.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm selling my Roe Supercharger, 70mm throttle bodies, and elite Motorsports airbox designed for the Roe blower if anyone is interested. Pm me for info and pricing. These parts only have appx. 1500 miles on them and are in perfect shape. I am doing a much more radical engine build and blower package. The Roe is a great setup for what it was designed for. :2tu: