SVS shifter install guide.

SilverMamba189/200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed my new SVS shifter today. If anybody else is going to do it on their own here's how I did it. I could not find any instructions for the Gen III cars, so I read the Gen II instructions and figured it out from there. If anyone has anything constructive to add, it will be appreciated.

1. Lift the plastic panel around the shifter. Pull the E-brake handle all the way to the top and it just pulls up. Disconnect the cig lighter and power window plugs. Now you have access to the shift knob bolt. Use two wrenches to break the double nut loose. Remove the gear shift knob and then the panel as one piece.

2. Remove the dash bezel that surrounds the radio. To do this, just remove the visible allen head bolts from the bezel and remove the single phillips head screw in the bottom center (just under the hot/cold selector). Then undo the 3 plugs (starter button, and 2 heat/ac controls).

3. Remove the center console. There are 2 phillips screws at the top front of the console and 4 phillips screws in the console glove box. You DON'T need to remove the torx screws in side the glove box. Put some masking tape on the sides of the outer plastic bezel just above where the front of the console is tucked under it. Gently but firmly pull down on the front two sides of the console to get it past the bezel (this is where the tapes help from scratching the dash). Now the whole console needs to come forward. With the glove box door open, take your hand and hit the front inside of the console to push it forward. As it comes forward, you need to pick up on the front of console to remove it. There is one plug (red on my car) that disconnects both the airbag switch and power point. Disconnect it and remove the console.

4. Drill out the 8 rivets that hold the metal cover that allows you to access the shifter assembly. (I unclipped the wiring harness next to the cover and moved it out of harms way. Then I used a cordless drill and a 1/4" drill bit). A drop of oil on each rivet helps, and you will want to put a rag around the area to collect the metal shavings (a bit messy). Cut the zip tie that goes around the rubber boot and the stock shift lever assembly.

5. Unbolt the stock shifter. The left front bolt is not a problem just use a 13mm socket and extension. For the rest of the bolts you will need to drill a hole (3/8") directly above each bolt and remove them this way. (I used a 1/4" ratchet w/extension and put it through the hole then attached the 13mm shallow socket by reaching my hand in the shifter hole). Before removing the factory shifter, be sure to clean any metal debris which will have fallen on top of it from the drilling.

6. Remove the stock shifter. Now that it is unbolted carefully remove the shifter from the top by rotating it sideways. Clean the sealer from the top of the transmission gasket area.

7. Install the SVS shifter. Apply a thin layer of sealer to both the transmission gasket area and the shifter gasket area. Carefully rotate the new shifter into the hole. (at this point I put all four new bolts (with a bit of lock tight) supplied with the shifter in the bolt holes where they go and lined them up before starting them. Then, using your ratchet and extension, tighten the new bolts. Put the supplied 1" or 2" shifter bolt in the shift arm and tighten it. I put some black duct tape over the three 3/8" holes to reseal them.

8. Rivet the cover back into place. I used a piece of foam rubber to wrap the new shift lever bolt, pulled the rubber boot around it, and put a zip tie around the rubber boot to keep it all in place.

9. Reverse the assembly process.

* You will need 8 1/4" rivets. The small rivet gun I have would not accept this large of rivet, so I had to borrow one from a friend. You may want to take your gun with you to the store to see if the rivets will work in yours.

This process took me a little over 2 hours. I am not an expert mechanic, so these instructions are just a guide to help you. Perform the installation at your own risk. I also read the shifter install in the "How To" section of this website (very helpful).

The shifter works great!!

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed my new SVS shifter today. If anybody else is going to do it on their own here's how I did it. I could not find any instructions for the Gen III cars, so I read the Gen II instructions and figured it out from there. If anyone has anything constructive to add, it will be appreciated.

1. Lift the plastic panel around the shifter. Pull the E-brake handle all the way to the top and it just pulls up. Disconnect the cig lighter and power window plugs. Now you have access to the shift knob bolt. Use two wrenches to break the double nut loose. Remove the gear shift knob and then the panel as one piece.

2. Remove the dash bezel that surrounds the radio. To do this, just remove the visible allen head bolts from the bezel and remove the single phillips head screw in the bottom center (just under the hot/cold selector). Then undo the 3 plugs (starter button, and 2 heat/ac controls).

3. Remove the center console. There are 2 phillips screws at the top front of the console and 4 phillips screws in the console glove box. You DON'T need to remove the torx screws in side the glove box. Put some masking tape on the sides of the outer plastic bezel just above where the front of the console is tucked under it. Gently but firmly pull down on the front two sides of the console to get it past the bezel (this is where the tapes help from scratching the dash). Now the whole console needs to come forward. With the glove box door open, take your hand and hit the front inside of the console to push it forward. As it comes forward, you need to pick up on the front of console to remove it. There is one plug (red on my car) that disconnects both the airbag switch and power point. Disconnect it and remove the console.

4. Drill out the 8 rivets that hold the metal cover that allows you to access the shifter assembly. (I unclipped the wiring harness next to the cover and moved it out of harms way. Then I used a cordless drill and a 1/4" drill bit). A drop of oil on each rivet helps, and you will want to put a rag around the area to collect the metal shavings (a bit messy). Cut the zip tie that goes around the rubber boot and the stock shift lever assembly.

5. Unbolt the stock shifter. The left front bolt is not a problem just use a 13mm socket and extension. For the rest of the bolts you will need to drill a hole (3/8") directly above each bolt and remove them this way. (I used a 1/4" ratchet w/extension and put it through the hole then attached the 13mm shallow socket by reaching my hand in the shifter hole). Before removing the factory shifter, be sure to clean any metal debris which will have fallen on top of it from the drilling.

6. Remove the stock shifter. Now that it is unbolted carefully remove the shifter from the top by rotating it sideways. Clean the sealer from the top of the transmission gasket area.

7. Install the SVS shifter. Apply a thin layer of sealer to both the transmission gasket area and the shifter gasket area. Carefully rotate the new shifter into the hole. (at this point I put all four new bolts (with a bit of lock tight) supplied with the shifter in the bolt holes where they go and lined them up before starting them. Then, using your ratchet and extension, tighten the new bolts. Put the supplied 1" or 2" shifter bolt in the shift arm and tighten it. I put some black duct tape over the three 3/8" holes to reseal them.

8. Rivet the cover back into place. I used a piece of foam rubber to wrap the new shift lever bolt, pulled the rubber boot around it, and put a zip tie around the rubber boot to keep it all in place.

9. Reverse the assembly process.

* You will need 8 1/4" rivets. The small rivet gun I have would not accept this large of rivet, so I had to borrow one from a friend. You may want to take your gun with you to the store to see if the rivets will work in yours.

This process took me a little over 2 hours. I am not an expert mechanic, so these instructions are just a guide to help you. Perform the installation at your own risk. I also read the shifter install in the "How To" section of this website (very helpful).

The shifter works great!!

Glad you like the shifter :D

Thanks for posting your install process going in from above on an SRT !

Do you mind if we use this text and add it on our website? I will make sure that it's posted as a guide and customers accept this at their own risk.

Later today I will have pics and instructions for installing from underneath on a GTS.

OP
OP
S

SilverMamba189/200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron..

Feel free to use the info on your site. I am looking forward to see how the process goes from the bottom. I don't have a lift, so the top was the way to go for me.

Tyler

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about underneath on an SRT Ron? I'm pretty sure it won't be difficult when I get it up on the lift.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info

I wanted the SVS but it was going to take some time to get one so I went with the Mopar Hurst. How to instructions and all necessary hardware to install from the top came with the Hurst which made it nice.

Knew you would like it ,and thanks again for the install instructions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang