Take the negative posts somewhere else!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Many of us are extremely excited about the new Viper.

You have your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Do you need to make your fellow (and future) Viper owners feel that the new Viper is not going to be incredible?

This is a club of enthusiasts. I feel that when the numbers come out, you will feel more than a little embarrased about your opinions.

Looks are one thing; what it takes to go to the next level is another; hopefully, the two sides will get along!

Here's to the future, and the improved, FASTER, Viper!

Enjoy your garage!

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

Jim

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

They both look good!
grazy.gif

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well put, Cornsnake! There are a lot of hate posts regarding the new design, such as posting the Webster's definition of ugly and implying it defines the SRT10.

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, but why do it over and over and over and over and over? Just takes on the air of heckling and really serves no useful purpose. And to attempt to justify it by saying the comments are directed at DC is ridiculous. If you want to complain about the redesign then maybe a flood of emails directly to DC is the way to go.

How about a section on the board for negative comments about the SRT so those of us that like the redesign will know what not to read?

The surest way to destroy any organization is thru constant infighting of the membership. Sometimes differences need to be put aside for the sake of organizational unity.

I wonder if this post will get deleted like my last one?
Dave

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with cornsnake. I'll be honest. I was a bit disappointed with the production version of the new Viper especially after seeing the prototype. However, the new style is really starting to grow on me. In fact, I can't imagine buying the previous gen viper when there is a new and improved model coming out within months. So, my search for the 2nd gen GTS is over. I will be buying the SRT as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Quick poll -- do you think the price of the previous Vipers will fall after the new model? some are speculating that it will go up. I seriously doubt that.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOAH...that S200--err SRT on the RIGHT actually looks AWESOME!

I love it! Hey, I don't think it is being offered in that color though, it's a shame. That is one great color.

I kid around, but I really mean it...it's definately a near-worthy successor to the R/T. I'm GLAD it's not crazier. It means that the R/T--GTS will be a classic on the order of the 59 Vette.

That's not a bad thing at ALL.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until now, I've never seen the two cars side by side...
Having said that, it looks like the new SRT outweighes its counterpart by quite a bit. How much bigger is it?
wink.gif
wink.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, someone shot a whole roll of film one day and posted them in this section a few month's back. And yes, not only is it wider, it is also lighter, and that includes the weight of the top!

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those comparison pictures sealed it for me. Next year I am selling my Vette for an SRT/10. The wheels on the SRT looked bigger than the old RT/10!!! The fact that they are wider speaks of grip levels that will be unmatched by any other car. That they are run flats will mean a real trunk unencumbered by a spare so I can take the car for a weekend road trip instead of having to resort to the truck. Not to mention that I won't have to pull over if I get a flat.

A real top at last instead of the ridiculous, funny-looking, ill-fitting and off-putting toupee which often consigned owners to seek shelter if they were caught in the rain, even if the top was up.

A return to the original Viper design of side pipes. To me, Vipers without this feature, which was common to the original RT/10 and the Cobras which inspired it, made the car less than.

The increased height of the car means that at 6'4" I will finally be able to fit. How they did this on a wider convertible while bettering the coefficient of drag of the previous, lower car is a black art I cannot fathom but am glad to see.

But the most important reason of all, 500+hp and 500+lbs.ft. of torque, yes indeed.

I hope they make it in just that color.

Hugo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">That's a badazzz car. How did you get it? I just ordered one in silver. Do you have anymore pictures of it from the front or sides? Do you know the date of it's release? If you do have more pics please mail them to me. [email protected]</FONT c>

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing regarding the SRT10 does concern me: the run-flat tires. I had run-flats on three of my Corvettes and non run-flats on the ZO6 and let me tell you the non run-flats had so much more grip than the run-flats. Granted, the ZO6 tires were Goodyear supercar tires made especially for the ZO6, but the run-flats (or run craps, as members of the Corvetteforum.com call them) have extremely stiff sidewall construction. This is necessary to support the weight of the car without air pressure. The run-flats on the Corvette make it really gittery on surface imperfections. For example, if you are on a curve and you hit a bump, hole, or anything uneven with the tires, the whole back end of the Vette will dance over a small distance, whereas in the ZO6 the softer sidewalls would just soak it up. It can be disconcerting in a high speed situation. I hope the run-flats on the SRT10 are more compliant. Many Vette owners replace the stock run-flats with non run-flats as soon as they get the car.

The ZO6 had a cheesy can of fix-a-flat type stuff and a cigarette lighter operated airpump instead of a spare that costs $350 to replace at a GM dealer
Dave

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Revver,

I have heard that the run-flats on the Viper will be "second generation" tires. I have no idea what that means, other than they might have fixed the problems with the previous ones.

I hope so.. this car certainly has the power to overcome the tires.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a early "mule".Note the missing lip(spoiler) on the trunk.

03Vipersneak4.jpg

I read that the tires are specially designed for the SRT, so maybe the problems with run-flats will not apply to the Viper.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the *** end of the SRT looks ALOT more intimidating than the RT/10 in that pic!!!

As for the last few holdouts who are making whimperings about refusing to stop their whining, you might have noticed a new RULE posted at the VERY TOP of the SRT forum... let me quote it for you...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...The SRT section is for SRT related CONSTRUCTIVE comments and questions. Remarks not related to the initial topic, and thread redirections, will be deleted...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokin,

Consider yourself cut off at the knees. Thanks for playing... better luck next time!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the production model will have that amazing rake. I really doubt it. Too bad. That is an awesome look. I see snake skull bones in the lines of that car.

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

A heart felt "thank you" to all of you!

I really like the new SRT Viper, and I am relly excited about getting the new beast.

I have suffered from two rounds of Malignant Melanoma (the nastiest type of skin cancer) and I can't wait for a top that goes up when I need it!

Don't take me wrong; the performance improvements are going to be awesome! D/C won't let us down! I loved my two RT/10's, but the SRT is going to really make me happy. It may have more ergonomic comforts then the original, but it's going to drive better and faster than our beloved originals! The whiners place all the emphasis on looks; I say this is the wrong attitude to have!

Too all of you who have shown me your support and kind comments, I say "thanks" again. We are going to be thrilled... and fast, and more confident as we enjoy it!

I would like to say to those who don't like the SRT, that I understand your not liking the new style as much. I agree with you! But, I know that change for the better takes sacrifice and the understanding that rewards are coming for the sacrifice.

Thanks again for your very kind posts. I really needed to feel like someone else was as excited about the SRT as I am.

Sincerely,

Jim

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by jwwiii:

I would like to say to those who don't like the SRT, that I understand your not liking the new style as much. I agree with you! But, I know that change for the better takes sacrifice and the understanding that rewards are coming for the sacrifice.

##############################

Jim, Of course, many so-called whiners simply feel that great exterior styling AND performance improvements shouldn't have to be mutually exclusive. Jeff

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry about the duplicate posts! When I tried to post the original, my message got kicked to a page that said, "site could not be found"... or something like that.

My computer must have known how frustrated I had been on the SRT forum, and that it just had to get my thank-you posted!

Another example of the continuing integration of man and machine?

Anybody have some more of those great SRT pics?

Jim

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bwright:
Those comparison pictures sealed it for me. Next year I am selling my Vette for an SRT/10.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey if they can sell thousands of SRTs to ex Vette owners they might be able to afford to build a good looking coupe then all us Viper lovers will have a car we want.