Technical Question for Cranks

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many "teeth" their are on the crank for the crank trigger signal (CTS)? I'm thinking about building an new piggyback computer for the Viper and need a little help.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hats off to you for your electronic expertise! :)

I don't know how many teeth are there, but I am thinking of how many things could go very wrong while sorting out a homemade piggyback system on your own (shudder)...

Wouldn't it be prudent to just buy a VEC2? Even a **** at these things would probably opt to spend the cash rather than start from scratch.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a disk in the middle of the crankshaft with 5 sets of 2 slots each. Timing is determined by the last slot in each set.

OP
OP
G

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avi... Thanks. Do you know if the second slot leading or ending edge is aligned with the pin center of the rod journal?

FE 065... Prudent, maybe... But what's the fun in that???

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If you like the challenge, fine, I can understand that. But the time spent on research and development is HUGE, for what you are aiming for. There is no reasonable case for going that route, unless you can do it better, or have some new idea. Good luck to you, hope you have fun!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'The fun' is being done with entire project in a few hours, as opposed to eons. :)

There's plenty of other areas open to improvement that haven't been addressed by tuner shops yet ...

Make a jammer that fouls your drag opponent's ignition electronics during a run .. zzZZzztt

Christophe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things are more difficult than you think!

I'm looking for PCMs and wiring for my two GEN I engines I've fitted in an old Cigarette '38 ship and I've collected all the necessary information to adapt a standard programmable ECU. Problem is timing: those engines are asynchronous. Each two crank turn you have to delay timing.

I've opened the oil pan to modify the oil system and took information on crankshaft timing.

There is a disk in the middle of the crankshaft with 5 sets of 2 slots each. 5 cylinders are aligned with 1st slot ending (6,10,8,4,2), and the others on the 2nd slot ending (1,5,9,7,3).

firing order:

1, 10-9, 4-3, 6-5, 8-7, 2 unequal firing 90 degrees and 54 degree intervals

Hope this help you

Chris

OP
OP
G

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Thanks. I will keep you posted on my progress. Maybe we can help each other.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302