temp gauge pinned

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a 97 GTS On a trip to ME. I noticed that the temp gauge went 250+ degrees and stayed there even after cooling down overnight Has anyone seen this before? :confused:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the temp sending unit took a "dump"!! Could also be the wire from the sending unit shorting out. Be sure the wire is ON the sending unit also. Shouldn't be a costly repair. Congrats on your GTS. I love mine and have never regreted buying it. Welcome to the "family".....Doc

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, just sent away for a shop manual last week, that was my thought however the coiling fan is suspect as it only comes on with a/c switch on. Fortunatly the car ran like a champ all the way home.So far it seems like I've got a great "family",the forums seem really helpful. Thanks

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stephen Congrats and Welcome to the dark side! :2tu:
Hope to meet you at some of our events. :cool:

More then likely it's the Temp Sending Unit #4848110 MSRP $56.85 [in stock, less 20% VCA Dicount]. I keep a few in stock because it's a common proublem!
914-763-3136

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck thanks for the input, your reputation precedes you! I had hope to meet you at the upcoming tech session however I am trying to get out of a previous engagement, not sure if I can swing both.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stephen call in sick! :D You don't want to miss this Tech Season, we are going to have fun! :smirk:

You may be able to cross DC's # for the SU since your into parts? If not I can bring one with me [let me know].

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I know I'm working on it! Ironically I just heard about this tech session Thursday before we went away, it couldn't be more appropriate for me!

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money is on the temp sending unit. Happened to mine the first day I picked it up from the dealer. :(

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes call in sick Stephen and come over to my place and meet the Wizard and a bunch of other New England Viper Owners. Then you will want to sign up to become a V.C.A. Member and become a New England Region Member and we will show you what you can do to that and with that 97 GTS. Congrats on your New Ride. :2tu: :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! My temp gauge has never "pegged". Did you try the famous technician tap-on-the-gauge-face?

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
update on this saga, pulled car out of the garage today and the engine came up to temp and the gauge read 190 all day, and yes I did try the old faithful tap on the gauge trick, laugh if you want but if anybody has driven anything british you'll understand what that is all about.