Temporary engine support crossmember

my427cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Gen 3 (2006) after the transmission has been removed, would it be a good idea to fab a temporary engine support crossmember (I'm thinking at the lower rear edge of the engine where the bellhousing dust cover attaches) between the frame rails so the car can be moved/rolled around the shop.

Just wondering.

Cheers
Greg

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Do you have stock engine mounts? I've typically just put a bottle jack under the pan when mine was going to sit for any time without the transmission, but if you had the car on dollies to roll around I suppose that doesn't work very well. I have the aftermarket Woodhouse poly mounts as well though, and they hold the engine pretty stiffly if I needed to let it hang briefly. I wouldn't want to leave it that way, but if I needed to move the car I could probably take the jack out from under it, move it, and replace it without worrying too much. The stock rubber mounts I would be less comfortable doing that with though. They are known to fall apart with just normal use, so an extra support sounds like a reasonable idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456