Tensioner Removal

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the tensioner on my 01 GTS. No problem on getting the pulley off, but I can't see how to remove the tensioner. Anybody know where it bolts on? From the bottom? How many bolts?

Thanks.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC, its just got one 15mm bolt holding it on with a nut on the back
it shouldn't be that hard to see with the pulley off

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Found it, but not without the help of a mirror and flashlight. Two more questions for this crowd. One, my pulley wobbles around on the tensioner arm until you bolt it on. I assume that is normal, but I'd like to know if this is a sign of wear. The car only has 10k miles.

Two, anyone know what is normal for the torque of the tensioner? You see threads where a weak tensioner is mentioned, but not defined. I measured my tensioner with a torque wrench on the vice, and found that it takes about 20 ft lbs to move it through its range. I wonder if that is normal.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it wobbles then the bearings are shot. My new one did not wobble.
Call Chuck, he can get you a new one cheap.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it wobbles then the bearings are shot. My new one did not wobble.
Call Chuck, he can get you a new one cheap.

Sorry, was not clear enough on my description. The bearings on the pulley seem to be OK. No play, grating, etc. But, there is a lot of slop around the bolt. But, once the pulley is bolted down onto the arm, there is no obvious wobble. I think this is normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets