Test drives????

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you know I am putting my car in the Auto Trader. In addition to the regular information I am also adding ( Test drives for serious buyers with proven financing), Is this appropriate? I do not want to scare possible buyers away, but I also do not want everyones grubby little paws on what is still My car. Please give me your opinions.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't even do that. I would take them for a ride while I drive. When it gets serious, make the deal. Then, they can have a stipulation that when they come to pick up the car, they can take it out for a test drive and back out of the deal if they find anything wrong.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Inferno. Just because they have the $$ doesnt mean they know how to drive a Viper. If they wreck it before you have the $$, I promise it will somehow be the car's fault. But at the VERY least, word it the way you said

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a GTS...well the way I see it, if I don't get to test drive the GTS, I won't even consider picking that particular one up. I just use my judgement and instinct as to wether the buyer is serious or not....you can usually tell.

I've owned quite a few used sports cars, and each one I test drove...went home to think about it for a day or two..perhaps even test drove others and then made my decision.

That's exactly what happened when I bought the NSX. I called up the owner...drove down to his place (took me an hour to get there). Test drove it. Said thank you. Drove another one the next day...then the following week I went back and bought his.

Another example is an Rx-7..I flew out to minnesota (from Cali)...he picked me up at the airport....I test drove it...didn't like it..and he dropped me back off at the airport.

I'm sure the buyer is just as paranoid as the seller. Plus, everytime I test drive a car, I make sure that the owenr is with me so he can explain everylittle thing. Just tell them not to push it too hard. Just my 2cents.

Another thing you can do is just take a photocopy of their insurance and driver's license and actually call up their insurance company to tell them what's about to happen...he/she is about to test drive your car...is he/she covered?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a GTS...well the way I see it, if I don't get to test drive the GTS, I won't even consider picking that particular one up. I just use my judgement and instinct as to wether the buyer is serious or not....you can usually tell.

I've owned quite a few used sports cars, and each one I test drove...went home to think about it for a day or two..perhaps even test drove others and then made my decision.

That's exactly what happened when I bought the NSX. I called up the owner...drove down to his place (took me an hour to get there). Test drove it. Said thank you. Drove another one the next day...then the following week I went back and bought his.

Another example is an Rx-7..I flew out to minnesota (from Cali)...he picked me up at the airport....I test drove it...didn't like it..and he dropped me back off at the airport.

I'm sure the buyer is just as paranoid as the seller. Plus, everytime I test drive a car, I make sure that the owenr is with me so he can explain everylittle thing. Just tell them not to push it too hard. Just my 2cents.

Another thing you can do is just take a photocopy of their insurance and driver's license and actually call up their insurance company to tell them what's about to happen...he/she is about to test drive your car...is he/she covered?

nsx and rx7's aren't even in the same CLASS. Not that they're not good cars, but they don't bite like a Viper. You'd have to go out of your way to wreck an nsx, while handling a Viper takes serious concentration and caution... ESPECIALLY a first time driver of one. I would need more than a proof on insurance... it would have to cover the cost of replacing a Viper, and he would have to sign a waiver accepting ALL liabilities if he gets behind the wheel.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

nsx and rx7's aren't even in the same CLASS. Not that they're not good cars, but they don't bite like a Viper. You'd have to go out of your way to wreck an nsx, while handling a Viper takes serious concentration and caution... ESPECIALLY a first time driver of one. I would need more than a proof on insurance... it would have to cover the cost of replacing a Viper, and he would have to sign a waiver accepting ALL liabilities if he gets behind the wheel.

No doubt theyre not in the same class, but the Rx-7 wasn't stock either. It had 350 HP and for a car that light, it was a handful. Wrecking an NSX ain't cheap either. The price of parts on those cars are almost as expensive as a Viper's. If I could test drive older Ferraris, I don't see why I can't test drive a Viper...granted a Viper has alot more torque and is probably alot harder to control, but their not considered in the same class either.

Every car forum I visit, the owners are all weary about letting people test drive their cars. Its totally understandable. Different forums have different types of people with various incomes. A dodge viper might be valuable to people on this board, but to the guys on the Lambo forums, they might laugh at Viper owners worrying about a $50K car. It's all relative.

I remember back in college, I was worried about someone wrecking my Prelude when they took it out for a test drive, because to me back then, an $15K car was hell of alot of money to lose.

But I can totally, totally understand about losing control of a Viper. Hence my other posts on this forum, I'm constantly asking about what it was like to drive a Viper for the first time. I'm probably more worried about wrecking a Viper that's not mine, more than the owner is. I have absolutely no clue as to what it feels like to be in a Viper. The car scares me, and I have great respect for the car. When the time comes for me to test drive one, I'll be very, very carefull with the right pedal.

Reaction score
I'm sure there are Vipers out there you can test drive....just not mine (if I were selling). :) I'll give you the ride of your life (or close to it)...then you show up with the dosh....THEN you can have a drive. I bought mine that way in 99...and when I sell (heaven forbid), that's how it'll be. The drive was the last thing done before putting it on the trailer. Like you said....to each their own. :)

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure there are Vipers out there you can test drive....just not mine (if I were selling). :) I'll give you the ride of your life (or close to it)...then you show up with the dosh....THEN you can have a drive. I bought mine that way in 99...and when I sell (heaven forbid), that's how it'll be. The drive was the last thing done before putting it on the trailer. Like you said....to each their own. :)

Yeah, I've read stories about your ride. The thought of driving a modified Viper hasn't even crossed my mind.. :eek:

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Supra TT with 430hp at the rear wheel, it's different driving a Viper for sure. The low end torque on the Viper will get you in trouble easier than anything.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Supra TT with 430hp at the rear wheel, it's different driving a Viper for sure. The low end torque on the Viper will get you in trouble easier than anything.

That's what I'm most afraid off when it comes time to testing one out. I can't wait though. As soon as I sell my NSX, I'll be in the market for a snake. :cool: Which brings me to the hard part.

If the seller wants proof of funds, how am I supposed to do that if I'm getting a loan that's going to be "person" specific? I can't go to the bank and get a loan check made out to the seller everytime I test drive one....anyone have experience has how I would do this?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not have a problem. For one thing I bet you don't get one looker a month on the car. The guys that have driven my modified cars did not even floor them. They want to feel the steering tightness, road noise, rattles or squeeks. I have actually had people say "just take me for a spin" and they don't care if you punch it. They just wanted to snoop and do an inspection without the distraction of driving. The last car I sold was my Z06 and while it isn't as squirly as a Viper the point is people were afraid to push it. They just drove around, got the feel of the car. I don't know, of the 5 guys I let drive it if any of them even chirped the tires. They would be at least as wary to push the Viper if not more so.
Would you make an offer on a car you hadn't driven? To be careful you might tell them not to open it up, and that if they want that, you will do that part of the driving
I guess it will always come down to how the guy presents himself.
I do think what you have proposed wouldn't scare a serious buyer off.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the seller wants proof of funds, how am I supposed to do that if I'm getting a loan that's going to be "person" specific? I can't go to the bank and get a loan check made out to the seller everytime I test drive one....anyone have experience has how I would do this?

First off you have to understand that not everyone will be coming to test the car with your intentions/experience.

It would help if you drove up with your NSX, that would at least tell me you're not a broke a$$. If you drove up to me in that car, presented yourself well and were dead serious about buying the car, I may let you take her out for a short boot. The second you got crazy or didn't listen to my advice, I would get you to pull over. I know it sounds anal, but you will understand when you get your Viper.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both sides are correct. I would not want to let someone drive my Viper IF I were selling . I also would not buy a car without driving it. The seller has to use his judgement on who drives (never by themselves) and who just rides. If a guy from your zip code shows up and wants to test drive is different than a guy driving from out of town. This is not like having a rental property, you do not have to have 1 standard that applies to all aplicants.

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, Still a little torn. I think that I will still write it up the same way and hope that the thrill seekers stay away. I can still take q potential buyer for a ride (which will be my pleasure) and use my judgement on who gets to drive it. Hopefully it will be a past or present viper owner who knows what to look for and is ready to take care of my beautiful car. Damn, it still pains me to let it go. If it were net for the medical issues at hand I would not even be writing this. I will be back as soon as I can!!!!!!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would NOT let anyone drive my car prior to me having cash in hand. As mentioned above, any accidents prior to the sale would definitely be the fault of the car and no sale would take place and then what would you do. I'll take them out for a ride and once they pay me, they can do what they want with the car. And if they don't like, then they can go down the road and find another 6500 mi. 96 GTS garage king (no queenies here). Syclone, you also have low mi and you are pricing it right. You don't have to bend over backwards for the buyer. There aren't that many low mi. good b/w's out there. JMHO.

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for thier input. It is greatly appreciated. This is a good example of why this forum exists.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, I would not allow a test drive. A test ride in the passenger seat of course. But no drive. Period. Any potential buyers that would be put off by that are bid farewell.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I went out to look at this one Viper,I was shocked that the guy let me drive it and I did put the pedal to the metal once we got out the highway.But I did learned alot from it. I didn`t get that one.
I would say you drive it first and I mean drive it. POWER SELLS.
Then tell them ,now that you seen what the car can do,for them to drive normal. Good Luck on your sale. :2tu:

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car forum I visit, the owners are all weary about letting people test drive their cars. Its totally understandable. Different forums have different types of people with various incomes. A dodge viper might be valuable to people on this board, but to the guys on the Lambo forums, they might laugh at Viper owners worrying about a $50K car. It's all relative.

I remember back in college, I was worried about someone wrecking my Prelude when they took it out for a test drive, because to me back then, an $15K car was hell of alot of money to lose.

[/QUOTE]

Good point. A few years back when I bought a brand new Mustang GT, the dealer wouldn't even let me take that for a ride! But that had a warranty, so I wasn't concerned. When I bought my used Viper, the seller wouldn't let me drive that either. So what he did was sign an "As Is, No Warranty" paper, but added a paragraph that said if anything was wrong or faulty with the Viper after I left the driveway (other than an accident or driver wrecklessness), he would be liable and pay for any repairs, or I could get my money back.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No test drive when I bought mine ( even though I will pay cash). They teased you like... they start it and rev it a little bit so you can hear what it is sound like. But after hearing it I said I'll buy it.

Reaction score
I put deposit on mine without ever SEEING one in person. A week before I picked it up I had a good friend (Paul Ronald) let me drive his 96 GTS.....twice. That was IT.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine site unseen...there are plenty of folks that will buy your Viper without you having to ********** it out to test drives...

ZOOMBI U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No Test Drives!! You don't want to put your insurance and vehicle in the hands of anyone learning how to handle a viper. If they need to drive a viper to decide what a great vehicle they are, let them rent one for a day. I would have Dodge look over the vehicle and supply a written description of the vehicles condition, the buyer will then know exactly what he is getting.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my first "test ride" in a gen I many years ago. It was at a sports car dealer and he drove it. He literally scared the **** out of me by driving at high speeds on side streets and through 4 way dare intersections. He then let me drive it. I knew I would not buy that car after his little demonstration of how it was treated.

I have bought all of my Vipers without ever test driving them - 2 were used and 2 were new. The '94 had 800 miles on it and had never been licensed when I bought it in '98. The '96 had 1000 miles on it when I bought it in '99. No problems with any of them.

Bob K

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just last week, drove a black 94 RT/10 at a Benz dealer in Sarasota, the guy was pretty cool about it. He backed it out of the shop and said to take it for a spin, but to take it easy with it. I said not a problem, I had my wife along so she went with me, meaning the salesman had to stay.

I was quite surprised that he didn't ask for my license or insurance info or anything.

I understand the emotional attachment to these cars, but I would want to drive the one I am going to buy before fully commiting to purchase.

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never test drove mine before I purchased, but it still had a year left of the factory warranty so there were no concerns for me.

IDWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 7K mile 99 GTS w/o driving it as it was from Marv and Nathan, last time I have driven a viper was a few years ago when I would rent them in Vegas for 5 hrs.

I also recently sold a 70 440 cuda, over 500 rwhp, 630 on the juice, etc. I did not let the new owner drive it until I recieved the payment, etc. I did take him for a ride, ran it though the gears, etc.. everytime I have sold a car it has been that way. Too many people do not have the sense or skills to handle similar cars.. If they are serious, they will be back!