TH TH TH TH...CLICK CLICK CLICK

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is the sound it just made when I went to start it. Tried three times, I'm guessing a dead battery. Probably about time for a new one after 5 years.

Chrysler service is picking it up to take it to the Dodge dealer that I always bring it to. Any ideas if this is a covered part under the Added Care plan and if not what a new one costs?

Thank You in advance.

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise, my '02 Viper has been in storage for 14 months while I was overseas and also won't start. I used a battery tender, but it is showing a blinking light (failure of the charging system).

Question -- Can the Viper be jump started with a (very) dead battery?

I'd hate to replace the battery and find the problem is something else in the electrical system. My Viper is also under warranty, but DC wants to take it to the nearest Viper Tech instead of my usual dealer.

Thanks

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC had a reputation among ViperTechs for battery failure. It would be the first item I would suspect. Battery's are inexpensive compared to other items. If my battery was +5 years old, I would replace it.
Be careful. The size is critical. The top post/side post is also critical.
Do a search to see proper sizes and options.
Battery has its own warranty. Usually prorated after 1st year or so.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not take it to the dealer to replace your battery. Even if they prorate and give you a discount you are asking for trouble. Over priced (battery and labor) plus an excuse for some mechanic to "test" drive the car.

I did mine a month ago, hardest car battery I ever replaced but still a very easy task.

If you are not comfortable doing it I am sure a Viper buddy will do it for a beer or two.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise, my '02 Viper has been in storage for 14 months while I was overseas and also won't start. I used a battery tender, but it is showing a blinking light (failure of the charging system).

Question -- Can the Viper be jump started with a (very) dead battery?

I'd hate to replace the battery and find the problem is something else in the electrical system. My Viper is also under warranty, but DC wants to take it to the nearest Viper Tech instead of my usual dealer.

Thanks

Mine did the same after 14 weeks overseas.. :)

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my battery has been acting up lately as i am away from home for 3-4 months at a time. Same clicking thing as you describe when I turn the key, very low power, only lights would turn on, but very very dim. We have this DieHard battery charger, it looks like a carry-on suitcase, use it to power up the truck at work, took it home and let it run for 30 minutes, car started up fine. So yes, the viper battery can be recharged.

p.s. car is about 3.5 years old and on original battery

OP
OP
H

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Chrysler service came out and jumped it, it started right up. Drove it down to the dealer and my service guy said the battery is fine and a new one is around $220.00.

The car sat for about 4 weeks....I won't do that again.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$ 220.00 ??? WOW, you could get a couple Optimas for that & have enough left over for beer!
Another example of dealer price gouging!

Andy

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Replaced mine with a 900 cca 76 month battery from Walmart, good thing, needed to do some rust removal and re-painting to the battery tray...

But, Iam anal when it comes to my Viper, a service tech would of thrown a new battery in there with no thought of anything, except how nice it was going to be to test drive my car to make sure the battery works, yeah right...first thing comes to mind is (Ferris Bueller)...

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys any issues with an optima red top fitting in a 2001 RT batt tray? since my batt is pushing 4 years i was thinking about changing it, any advantages for the optima over the mopar batt or should i just stick OEM. (not concerned about crazy dealer $220, most definately find it at regular price)

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK -- Mine was a dead battery. Autozone tried to charge my factory battery, but it would not hold a charge. Replacement battery only $59. I found the battery maintenance instructions in the VCA's illustrated upgrade section very helpful. Thanks.