Thanks Hennessey Performance!

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am curious how you define "involvment of the club"? if a viper tuner or a dealership for instance are giving poor service, are not returning phone calls, dont tell the truth, do shoddy work, are involved in numerous lawsuits, whatever, are you saying that the members of the viper community should not find out and be informed through the club??

Caveat Emptor for sure. but i think it is important that we find out if a service provider is having "issues" that could affect us all as customers. i dont care how much money you make, or what kind of car you drive, or how smart you think you are, you will eventually be taken advantage of, and the odds are increased big time if you are not being kept informed or are being told the truth about what really goes going on.

i WANT the club to be involved (to a point) and i think we are not being informed enough. trust me, i KNOW. ;)

That's what the message forums are for---what I don't agree with is the censoring. I don't think it accomplishes anything. Or have a vendor rating section like Viper Alley has---hugely useful.

ok, i GOTTA ask. who here that has taken their car to a tuner actually did this? is there a "standard" agreement out there? has anyone actually used one? what are some of the details in the agreement? say for instance if the car isnt done by "x" date, what happens?

i am not questioning what you are saying kenny, but most people here know that i am having a tuner problem right now and i would like to try and avoid any problems in the future, and i am simply looking for a possible solution.

I don't know anyone who has done it, but it's not very complicated. Sit down with your tuner (another pet peeve of mine---people who send the tuner money and a car without ever going to see his shop, look him in the eye and shake his hand) and ask him a few questions:

-What EXACTLY are you going to do (get a complete list of labor to be performed and parts to be installed to attach an as addendum)?

-How long is it going to take you---this can be tricky because of things out of the scope of a tuner's control like supplier and machine shop issues, but a clause can be inserted for an agreed extension of time for third party delays which are verified in writing?

-How much is it going to cost me?

-When are payments due?

-Who is responsible for transport?

After you get the broad strokes down, leave a copy of your notes with the tuner and send a copy to a local lawyer to work out the legalese. Once everyone is happy with the agreement and it's signed, you're ready to go. As to the penalties for not meeting deadlines, I haven't really though about it though at first blush I would suggest applying a per diem interest rate to an amount based on the agreed upon value of the vehicle plus the funds paid to the tuner at that time. By the same token, there should be a penalty if the owner fails to make timely payments under the agreement.

If you're having issues already, then this is not the course of action for you. This is the ounce of prevention that is worth the pound of cure.

...bringing the chances of recovery up to what, 5%? And that is after a gazillion documents, court hearings, and a few more dollars.

Puh-lease. I've been through enough legal BS. And currently pending. See above post.

Chuck, I disagree, I think chances of collection are a lot better. More importantly, most tuners are pretty smart and if you've locked them down to an agreement written by a lawyer and they see you are not a pushover, you're NOT going to be the client they try to bulldoze. Like everyone else in the world, they will take the path of least resistance and will take advantage of the guy who doesn't have a contract.

By the way, TVC, I'm not licensed in Fl, but has your attorney found out if this guy owns a house or any real estate. In La (and plenty of outher states) you can just file your judgment in the property records of the parish/county in which any property is located and when they re-fi/sell the property, you get paid. Until then, the judgment is building judicial interest. In La, you have to renew the judgment every ten years, but can do so indefinitely.

Kenny

Reaction score
History value and those robbed have not recovered their $$! Continue the ban on this site until those cheated have recovered the $$, that will show intent to change his ways! HMO.

Reaction score
Fred....there is a huge difference between banning someone from posting/advertising/etc.....and ********'ing out their name. THAT has been POINTLESS and CHILDISH since day one. That is the only issue I am addressing. YOU are absolutely correct WRT to fiar and proper restitution, to be clear.

Banning mention of JPH has done little to him, really. Clear, concise and OPEN communication has a better chance of achieving that....if that is what one wants. the ********'s do nothing but make the VCA look like little kids.

Just my **. :)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, TVC, I'm not licensed in Fl, but has your attorney found out if this guy owns a house or any real estate. In La (and plenty of outher states) you can just file your judgment in the property records of the parish/county in which any property is located and when they re-fi/sell the property, you get paid. Until then, the judgment is building judicial interest. In La, you have to renew the judgment every ten years, but can do so indefinitely.

Kenny

Yes, the judgment puts an automatic lien on the guy's property and 9% is accrued on the judgment amount. So barring any governmental screwup between now and whenever, I will eventually get my money...unless the guy outlives me.

How vindicating. :rolleyes:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the reasons I join a car club is to get information & make it easier to protect myself whether it be by finding better & safer parts & equipment, learning the cars' weaknesses, or identifying vendors who may be predatory (or not being able to pay their bills which can lead to predation).

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, the judgment puts an automatic lien on the guy's property and 9% is accrued on the judgment amount. So barring any governmental screwup between now and whenever, I will eventually get my money...unless the guy outlives me.

You don't think it's vindicating now---ask anyone in my industry (I'm a real estate title attorney, but most real estate agents and all mortgage brokers have seen this) about how someone loses their damn mind when they go to sell or refinance their home and I get to tell them how they get to pay a long forgotten judgment out of their proceeds that has (in some cases) doubled because of interest.

Getting paid is good.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't think it's vindicating now---ask anyone in my industry (I'm a real estate title attorney, but most real estate agents and all mortgage brokers have seen this) about how someone loses their damn mind when they go to sell or refinance their home and I get to tell them how they get to pay a long forgotten judgment out of their proceeds that has (in some cases) doubled because of interest.

Getting paid is good.

you are right about this kenny.

1. alot of people dont know judgments get locked into their real estate.
2. alot of people dont know judgments collect interest. BIG interest.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just sold a set of wheels and tires Only 1000 miles on Ebay for a Gen111. I missed the last hour and snoozed and Losed!!! No Reserve and at a great price. Just ended a couple days ago.:smirk:

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm getting 9% on a 32K judgement. If the guy dies 20 years from now, how rich will I be?

A quick guess is around $200k, but it won't take that long. You need to file that judgment in any jurisdiction where he owns property or may buy property. At least in La. it will attach to anything he ever buys and no bank will loan him money to buy unless he squares you away. Make sure you don't let it expire.

Even if he never buys any property, maybe his parents will die and leave him something.

I'm telling you, this is revenge served cold.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting 9% on a 32K judgement. If the guy dies 20 years from now, how rich will I be?

you certainly wont get rich. and statistics show most people move every (7) to (8) years.

filing Wage Garnishment papers is easy. does he have a job or assets? its something. i know how much it sux chuck. i have got ALOT of money out there too that has been lost by bad tenants that i will probably never see either.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
give me a break, I see this crap every day. You can think you have all your t's crossed and i's dotted. Like Chuck said, it will cost you $ do take this to court. Anytime you spend $ you are taking some risk. Didnt the tuner in question close one business and start another? Whether its thru a web site or word of mouth, I would appreciate any input from former customers before I spend my $. Also, I dont think any VIPER tuner has had more lawsuites than JH.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is the point of doing business with a person who has demonstrated a total lack of ethics and criminal behavior? A contract is worthless when one party lacks ethics and character.

There are many people that have earned trust and a contract is of less value as their word can be considered gold! There some that can never be trusted even with a contract covering every possible adverse event.

It is simple Buyer Beware! If you ignore ones history you take the risk of history repeating itself!

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
/ Who is Big Carrot and why would he post thanks here for a simple transaction? I, myself, don't find the need to post public thanks everytime I conduct a routine transaction. . Why wouldn't JH post thanks to Big Carrot instead? Is there a hidden agenda here?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
/ Who is Big Carrot and why would he post thanks here for a simple transaction? I, myself, don't find the need to post public thanks everytime I conduct a routine transaction. . Why wouldn't JH post thanks to Big Carrot instead? Is there a hidden agenda here?

It's no secret that people prop when they are happy with a vender, Viper owner, etc. We have no problem with that.

BTW Thanks to Doug Levin, Chuck Tator, Woodhouse, Macedo, Roe, Great Brakes, John Purner at CCWheel.com , Jason Heffner, and Partsrack.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck, you know that a judgement expires, be sure to keep it current, or you will lose the money.

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the VCA even dented his Viper business (at least not as much as the emergence of other Viper tuners did). A magazine article recently put Hennessey's annual gross sales at over $4 million.

I've done business with John and had good experience. That said, I am neither denying nor minimizing what happened in the past. I am saying that John is not---by far---the only Viper tuner to ever have ripped off or be sued by a customer. He is unfortunately the only one who's name the former administrator of the website saw fit to censor. Good riddance to that policy and those behind it.

My advice is whether you deal with John or any other tuner, get your prices, scope of work, and timetable in a written contract. Communicate with them regularly, but not annoyingly so, and don't let deadlines or costs get past what was agreed without written addendum. Then you'll stay friends with your tuner.

Kenny

Good point Kenny !
:2tu:

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well.......... as a relatively new Viper owner, and as the result of monitoring these forums for about a year - I have seen/heard waaay too many horror stories regarding JH. I'm not willing to take the chance - regardless of the available remedies. I simply do not have the time and don't want the trouble associated with gaining restitution if there were problems. It is far easier to do business with those of good reputation - your odds of success are much greater. That said, I'm certain many others are basing their decisions on the same philosophy. I do agree with Kenny regarding protecting oneself thru research and agreements, regardless of the rep. However, I do disagree with Kenny on one issue - although JH may do $4mm revenue per year, I'm willing to bet his revenue would be double that if his reputation didn't suffer. Thus - openly shared experiences and opinions HAVE hurt him in a big way. You know what we say in the Energy business, "a million here and a million there, pretty soon you are talking REAL money !!" :hitwithrock:
Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery