THE 1ST TO 4TH SKIP SHIFT

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IN WHAT YEARS CAN THE 1ST TO 4TH SKIP SHIFT JUST BE UNPLUGED WITHOUT THE ENGINE LIGHT GOING ON AND WHAT YEARS IS THE SKIP SHIFT ELIMINATOR NEEDED?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about the skip shift.During normal driving you will never hit it.On the rare occasion when you do.Jack it into 4th then back to 2nd.It will become automatic to you. Bruce

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT IM TALKING ABOUT RACING I CANT HAVE THAT MAKE ME LOSE A RACE

Reaction score
You've already lost due to the increased wind resistance caused by ALL CAPS!!! HELLO.......McFLY??????

To answer your question.....all Viper T-56 trannys have this, and ALL will give you a light if you somply unplug the CAGS (I am pretty sure). :)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermad (aka poser) is 100% correct. Just do yourself a favor and buy the $45 part and be done with it. ITs a quick fix, and you with THANK yourself for doing it. The skip shift ***** !!

Jon

ps. $45 part is called a "skip shift eliminator", and snake oyl sells them !!

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i will do that thanks also just wondering why did you call vipermad poser?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, because he is friends with a friend of mine, and that friend says he never really DOES any of the good stuff his car was meant to do...

I think vipermad is a cool guy, I am giving him a hard time.. but he knows it...

Jon

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Bruce is right. You will never notice it. And if you are in a race and shifting at 1800 rpm, you will lose regardless of whether you have a skip shift disablier or not!

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The skip shift directs the intended 1-2 shift into a 1-4 shift when the shift occurs at low speed. It is intended to improve gas mileage and probably reduces the gas guzzler tax we pay.
Per the shop manual, the skip shift is active when: engine coolant exceeds 106 F, RPMs >600, in first gear, throttle less than 23% open and vehicle speed between 12 and 18 mph. If you at least shift at 20 mph (about 1800-1900 rpms) you will never feel it!

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are saying it is okay to shift from first to fourth without anything detrimental occuring at low speed?

Mike

Reaction score
Lol, because he is friends with a friend of mine, and that friend says he never really DOES any of the good stuff his car was meant to do...

I think vipermad is a cool guy, I am giving him a hard time.. but he knows it...

Jon
LOL!!! And I feel it at times!! Shoot...here I am "posing" all around Va Beach and John is at VIR driving FAST!! Maybe I'll change my evil ways next year when my wife moves up from FLA........hmmmmm....... :)

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are saying it is okay to shift from first to fourth without anything detrimental occuring at low speed?

Not saying anything, just what the skip shift does. I believe the Viper has enough torque to tolerate it without problem. I honestly have only had it kick in twice in the last 3 1/2 years. Haven't noticed any problems...

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple fix. Go to Summit Racing and order the JET-61610 skip shift eliminator for 29 bucks and it'll never bother you again. It says that its for the vette and camaro but it'll work fine on the Viper. Without it you'll get the light.
You must be registered for see images attach

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had a problem with it. I make sure to peel out in 1st gear and shift at 3 grand. No big deal . . . ahahaha. waht a dumb idea for a car any how.

StoleIt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we all have pretty much the same trans. ya my skip shift comes on all the time (I shift in the sub 2k range for mpg purposes) and its really annoying. If you just stomp on the clutch and wait a moment it will turn off. gets annoying.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the issue, you can buy it for under $30 and it takes ten minutes to install.

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just tried to put it into fourth gear while the arrow was turned on and it really bogged badly. I don't see how this can't be bad for the engine. It only bogged badly once, but it was still much too weak to be considered useful in my opinion the other times I tried it.

I have tried to shift maybe 3 times when the light came on. I did not know what the light was for at first, and I HONESTLY thought it meant to accelerate more before bringing it to 2nd gear, and I was fairly certain I was locked out of 2nd gear. Now I know I actually was... After I decided that is what it meant, I never had a problem with it. I think the three times I did have a problem, it was when I was in the left lane, making a left turn from the stoplight and someone was going too slow in front of me.

Mike

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dump it. Get the plug kit.
The thing will do it to you in the middle of an intersection as punishment for driving in a safe and sane manner.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are bumping into the skip shift - you are driving like a ****** and you must surrender your Viper at once.

:laugh:

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rather than spend $15, $25, $30 for a skip shift eliminator, just unplug the connector and shove a $.10 Radio Shack resistor (2200 ohm) between the terminals. The arrow will still illuminate but no codes will be triggered.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the skip shift eliminator does the light still illuminate???

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are bumping into the skip shift - you are driving like a ****** and you must surrender your Viper at once.

:laugh:

You tell 'em girl! :)

Looks like STUGOTS has no . . . Well . . . STUGOTS.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks - I just don't get this - I have NEVER been forced to shift from 1st to 4th in over 6 years of Viper ownership (even during BREAK IN!). No one should be shifting before 2500 RPMs - you'd be lugging the engine even in 2nd gear.

And it should NEVER be a concern in a RACE - you should be spending the least amount of time below 2500 in 1st gear as humanly possible.

And I don't care if the resistor fix from Radio Shack is less than a buck - it's a waste of money.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SapphireGTS i never ran into it i just like everything to be perfect on my viper thats all, i would buy the part just for piece of mind

p.s. im impressed not many people know what stugots means
most people think my name is stu