The block of wood under the console trick

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on doing this "mod" this weekend to help reduce the chance of the console cracking due to someone leaning on it, etc. Anyone have any tips/tricks/pics to help me out? TIA!

When you say "someone", don't u mean a ******'s girl stepping on it to get that perfect photo leaning over the windshield? ;) :D

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had mine out, about a year ago just to do a good cleaning and paint the dash.

The radio bezel should probably come out. It is held onto the console with velcro. It is attached to the dash with clips. Gentle pressure will pop it off. You then have to contend with the wires on the fog switch and cig lighter.

Other than that getting it off is straight forward. As for what was under it, to be honest I do not recall, I think it was bare metal. If memory serves you will at least need a 4x4 or a couple 2x4s. I would think a little liquid nail would work just dandy to attach it to the floor board.

S

SUN RA KAT

This thread comes at a good time - over the past year a small crack in mine had gotten a whole lot larger while my car was away.

Can damage like this be fixed by glueing the cracks together or would a new or good used transmission cover be needed?

Attachments

• DSC_0256TC_edited (Custom) (3).jpg
    DSC_0256TC_edited (Custom) (3).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Chuck Tator after I got my console loose (never could get it completely off) and he said the trick is really for Gen 2's. He said Gen 1's dont seem to have the cracking console problem. But since I had already got it loose and there was a spot under the console that was hollow (thereby allowing the console to break if someone pushed down in that spot), I went on and added a piece of wood. I had a spare piece of wood (prob 1" thick) that I just cut to fill the whole area under the console from the e-brake back towards the bulkhead. I remember I cut the wood 7.5" long and the width happened to be exactly what I needed, so I didnt have to cut it any that way. The 7.5" length was enough to start at the back of the e-brake and was long enough to beable to be tucked under where the bulkhead starts. This way I didnt have to use any liquid nail to hold it in place. I didnt take any pics because it was so easy once I saw what I was working with, but if anyone needs extra guidance, I'll take it back apart and take pics.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually miss Roofum. His posts were always good for a cheap laugh:D

Only if it didn't make you question if it was written in English. Before I knew who he was, I inquired about a car he was selling. He was such a **** in his correspondence, I decided not to even look at the car.

Back to this thread. How is the center console attached?

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only if it didn't make you question if it was written in English. Before I knew who he was, I inquired about a car he was selling. He was such a **** in his correspondence, I decided not to even look at the car.

Back to this thread. How is the center console attached?

Four screws

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree.. was he on perma pain killers & lost his glasses?:D

he used to crack me up

I remember one time a guy asked what we should say to people who come up to us and want to talk about Vipers. Roofum's reply was "hit em' with your purse" (thats the translated to English version of what he meant at least). Thats in the running for one of the funniest things I'd ever read. Dare I say we start a "Bring Back Roofum" campaign?:D

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, roofum is actually a nice guy in person. He says he likes to talk **** on the net cause people are so damn touchy and sensitive. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960