The looks of the SRT... (pic or four)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To show I am a good sport, I will continue the previous discussion about the looks of the SRT. Some people don't like it. Some do. Is it a better looking car than the Gen I/II? Again, all subjective. As I was telling David (the guy that now owns my previous GTS) tonight: When the coupe is approaching you can tell it is a Viper from five blocks away. Not so with the SRT. Oh, they share many of the same styling cues, but the coupe (especially with stripes) really stands out. What? You don't think the SRT looks like a "real" Viper? Hmmm....

You must be registered for see images

Now for those that have only seen it in pictures, wait until you see one in person before you make your bold statement of disgust. There isn't a picture out there that captures this car well. None. And I am proud of my pictures and even they don't capture it well. Nevertheless:

One of the things that is hardest to capture but is one of the more striking features are the sides. The doors curve in to the front fenders just like the previous Vipers. Maybe even more so. A very pronounced curve and not a flat side that juts into the front fenders. Is that square look of the side intakes a little bit "off" from the rest of the car? Yep. But if you have seen the design studies using a more rounded intake (see the SRT book many owners were sent) you would understand why this looks a little better.

Now, at the risk of insulting the vast majority of Viper owners out there, I prefer the looks of the GTS over the RT/10. Just a personal preference. The RT/10 is still a gorgeous car and I would take it over ANY other make/model out there, but I like the curved glass of the coupe that finishes in that ducktail spoiler just a little bit more. Of course, where both Vipers (RT & GTS) really blow you away is when you are following them. Very low and very wide. Especially the RT/10, as it looks almost flat. You can see how the name "Viper" is so appropriate. The SRT? Still looks very low and very wide. Indeed, it has a lower center of gravity (despite what looks like a LOT of space in those back wheelwells) and I believe is just a little wider. Looks okay at speed, even when seen from the eyes of a GTS:

"S2000"; "Camaro"; "Ferrari 550"; And I find this a bit farfetched - "Accord". Sure, it can look like different cars from different angles. Yet you know what I have heard more often than not? "What year is your Viper?" Not, "What is that car?", but what year is your VIPER. People know it is a Viper and it looks the part in every respect. And it really is a good looking car and doesn't look like anything else out there. I still like the testosterone-laden looks of the GTS as much as any Viper out there, especially with stripes. If I could magically combine the two cars I would do it in a heartbeat. Oh, and for those of us that like to think that the GTS looks like nothing else on the road, guess again... ;)

Of course, if any Vette guy comes to our forum and says that then we get to tar and feather them... :D

Chris

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 & GTS Vipers certainly look dated when compared to the SRT-10 Vipers. No doubt about that. Even photographs capture that much.
-Daffy

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris -

Thanks for posting what in my eyes are the best photos of the SRT-10 to date PERIOD. Name the mag, name the TV show and forget em...when I was trying to convince my wife that the new SRT actually looks pretty dang cool it was your pics that I pulled up as evidence. :)

Love that driveway shot - really captures a great cross section of the various cool styling cues...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

The photo of your car on the road very clearly shows the many beautiful curves of the bodywork. Unfortunately, the one styling element on the car that I dislike so vehemently is the one that singularly defines the new shape - the side air extractor. :****:

OTOH, the more I see the new headlights, the more I like them. Thanks for the pics and first-hand driving observations. Keep them coming!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dean,

When taken out of context... and because we are all so used to the "curvy" air extractor, it looks out of place... but when combined with all the other lines of the SRT.... it just looks "right".

..just my humble opinion.

Y'know, it's almost like the "new haircut" phenomena (and yes, I'm thinking WAY back as I never really need a haircut anymore :) ) If I remember correctly, no matter how nice your new cut was.... it always looked "wrong" for a while... until you got used to it.... then you're OLD cut looked "weird" and "outdated".

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Thanks for the awesome photos. I chose red but that black is great! I am still looking at snow here in Michigan and with 9 miles on my SRT am in a "state of depresion". I would like to amen your comment about the shape of the side intake. At first I was very upset at what they did to "my" Vipers (I now have four). But like you said, if you study the design possibilities in the SRT book you will understand why DC ended up with this shape. And it does indeed look much better "in person".

Dave

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Again, great pics! I do love dodge red, but IMHO, no SRT shows the lines like the black. I have never seen another car that wears the color so well! (but what can I expect, this is a VIPER!!!).

Zach

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking at pictures of the Srt-10 over the past year I have never seen one as good as the Black Viper shot by your garage. That has to be the best shot of a Viper I have ever seen. The black looks awesome I hope my silver one that is on order will give the same appearance. Thanks for the photos and the many reports of the car. It has been very informative and just down right enjoyable reading your posts.

Ken

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
ahhh....sorry Chris ...... but .......

Ken,

SILVER LOOKS EVEN BETTER! :D

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Beautiful car. I saw you exiting Santa Fe Saturday afternoon - I was trying to exit but there were too many people around to cut across three lanes of traffic on 35S.

Time permitting, I would love to see your new beast. Please let me know your availability.

Thanks
Sung Bea (yellow C5 - please no bashing :) )

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, here it is in silver. Sorry I ain't as good as Chris with photos, but the sun wasn't right. I have the right to use that excuse! Will try again tomorrow when the sun is just right.
160My_SRT_6a-med.jpg

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken - wow! Silver looks great! let me know when you guys have a gathering of some sort. It's supposed to be nice this week.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree, the more I see pics of it and when I saw it in person, the more I really like it.

It does have a more refined and modern look especially from the front view.

Very nice pics!! Thanks for sharing.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 & GTS Vipers certainly look dated when compared to the SRT-10 Vipers. No doubt about that. Even photographs capture that much.-Daffy

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Daffy, I disagree...
The GTS doesn't look "DATED"
It looks like a true "CLASSIC"
and I will believe it will still be a classic car 10-20 years from now...
As for the SRT...

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Chris, I'm gonna have to take issue with the contrast you did with the 82 Vette, nice try but there is NO comparison to the styling, and I own a c3 as well as other Vettes. Please notice the difference in the front and rear overhang, the Vette extends much farther as a result of the bumper regs of the day, and that makes the car (Vette) look stupid, please notice the straight line syling of the windshield, versus the flow of the GTS, notice the right angle of the rear window of the Vette vs the smooth curve on the Viper GTS AND the Cobra coupe it seems to mimic, NOT the Corvette , you can draw a smooth line over the top of the GTS and the line over the Vette is jerky. AND I OWN a C3, here I am knocking the styling! DC should call you up and pay you for the pics, they finally show how beautiful this car (SRT) is, and I really mean that these are absolutely the best picures ever taken of this car and they finally show thw true agressive nature of the car and you are so right about the comparison between RT10 and SRT.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I've had a chance to live with my own new silver SRT a bit, I'll jump into this discussion. Saturday night at the North Texas club meeting, we had 7 new cars show up. This gave us the opportunity to park the red, black and silver colors right next to each other, and give 60 Viper nuts the ability to view them all at the same time, from exactly the same angles. Interestingly enough, there were some unexpected comments from even the SRT owners themselves, including ME.

The consensus opinion (including MINE) was that BLACK seemed to be the most attractive color for this car..... but...... before all you black owners go patting yourselves on the back too much........ it was mostly because the black color HID so many of the "inner angles"..... especially that sharp slash in the front fender, and emphasized the sweet outer shell and "rake". The silver and red give the ability to see every little angular curve, OR shadow, from every location. Most agreed that silver literally "glowed" sitting between the red and black, best reflecting all design curves.

I happen to be one of those, maybe even in the minority now, who does feel exactly the same as GTS Dean. I absolutely LOVE 99% of this new car..... but for me..... that sharp slash has to GO! I've tried to make it grow on me since the very beginning, but that's not going to happen. I think the car is PERFECT, except for that one issue. So, I've decided that instead of creating any "wing thing" for my new car, my first "mod" is going be to design and build an aftermarket body panel addition that will be easy to attach and add some kind of sculpted curve to the slash. Based upon the track record of our Viper Nation over the last few years..... that seems to find ways to modify almost EVERYTHING..... I don't feel like this is going to be any great sin. I don't plan on making more and selling them..... this will be just for me and maybe a few close friends. However, I will almost BET that another tuner or manufacturer will come up with something on their own as well. I can't believe that Dean and I are the only ones who share this opinion. Flame away! :smirk:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where to begin,

Lets set a few ground rules here, the SRT as of late has become a much better looking car due to some of the styling changes made by Dodge. And perhaps if I was in the market for another sports car and the RT/10 or GTS were no longer available the SRT would probably be a definite candidate.

That being said I am going to comment on some of the posts made in this thread. The original pictures comparing an rt to and srt are at best misleading. The RT is in much worse lighting and the GEN 1 rt's have a very plain hood when compared to a GEN2 or the angular spikes on the SRT. In fact the SRT's only claim to fame is its new fenders which make the car look agressive when you look at em from the perfect angle and the color is black as demonstrated in the driveway picture.

Take the same Gen 1 RT and walk around the car and you will quickly realize that there is no other car like it period. No Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus etc... the only car that looks like an RT is an RT and pictures DO NOT do it justice. Now lets looks at the SRT, it has heavy Stratus/camaro/S2000/Viper influences like it or not its the truth. Just take a picture of an SRT and an s2000 and look at them from a distance, if you don't see the resemblence you are blind or just don't want to see it.

When I first saw the redesigned SRT driving around in Vegas during SEMA, my Corvette fanatic friends LOVED it. They were amazed just how good it looked to them, then one of them even comented on how it looks like a c5 with a REALLY nice body kit. At which point I pointed out to them why anyone would want a VIPER which looks like a c5, they all kinda chuckled and changed the subject.

Anyways I am sure someone is going to start flamming me because my feelings towards the SRT are less than spectacular, but hey live with it.

PS. Any chance that the GTS and SRT engaged in a speed contest during that highway cruise?:) If so what were the results?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good points you make.

Though, being a huge fan of the new body style, I get tired of hearing how the SRT-10 looks like "this" car and looks like "that" car. Any car can be said to look like it came from such and such body style or has styling cues from such and such car.

And that statement about how the SRT-10 looks like a C5 with a good body kit is as lame a saying the GTS looks like a Corvette Stingray with a good body kit.

Give me a break,
Daffy

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original pictures comparing an rt to and srt are at best misleading. The RT is in much worse lighting and the GEN 1 rt's have a very plain hood when compared to a GEN2 or the angular spikes on the SRT.

Actually, the cars in the picture were side by side in the same shop under the same lights. I just wanted some "head on" shots for a good comparison. The RT was very dusty, so I will grant you that. As to the hood, I don't want to offend ANYBODY out there, especially fellow Viper owners. Everybody knows I miss my GTS and would get another one in a heartbeat. That said, have you ever noticed that both the vents and the NACA duct are "add ons" not unlike a kit car? They all come off with a screwdriver. The vents are placed over the wheelwells, which seems odd in retrospect. The SRT vents are much closer to the exhaust manifolds and you can see the heat escaping at every stop.

In fact the SRT's only claim to fame is its new fenders which make the car look agressive when you look at em from the perfect angle and the color is black as demonstrated in the driveway picture.

*Bows* The car really does look good from every angle, and in all colors. Less aggressive from many stances? You betcha. In some cases more refined, in others more subdued.

Take the same Gen 1 RT and walk around the car and you will quickly realize that there is no other car like it period. No Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus etc... the only car that looks like an RT is an RT and pictures DO NOT do it justice.

Take a Ford Pinto and walk around the car and you will quickly realize that there is no other car like it period. But different doesn't mean perfection. And no, I am NOT comparing the Pinto to the RT - just the analogy.

Now lets looks at the SRT, it has heavy Stratus/camaro/S2000/Viper influences like it or not its the truth. Just take a picture of an SRT and an s2000 and look at them from a distance, if you don't see the resemblence you are blind or just don't want to see it.

While it offended Lee a bit, tell me that the GTS doesn't have VERY similar styling cues to the C3 Vette. Does the SRT look like the S2000? Not in person. Does the GTS look like a 20 year old Corvette? Not in person. Yet they DO share similar styling cues whether you like it or not. Sure, we can point out the numerous differences of the GTS (overhangs, quarter panel length, etc.), but if you don't see the resemblance you are blind or just don't want to see it. Would I DARE put the GTS in the same league with that anemic Chevy? No way. So why continue to beat the SRT to death with these S2000 comparisons? It may share a few styling cues, so what? The S2000 will beat an '82 Corvette any day of the week in every performance category. ;)

When I first saw the redesigned SRT driving around in Vegas during SEMA, my Corvette fanatic friends LOVED it. They were amazed just how good it looked to them, then one of them even comented on how it looks like a c5 with a REALLY nice body kit. At which point I pointed out to them why anyone would want a VIPER which looks like a c5, they all kinda chuckled and changed the subject.

As many (maybe even most) Viper owners are former Corvette owners, I don't see this as a problem. So now the car has wider appeal. Is that bad? Is the C5 an ugly car? I certainly don't think so. And it looks especially good in black...

Anyways I am sure someone is going to start flamming me because my feelings towards the SRT are less than spectacular, but hey live with it.

No flames, just similar observations from a different perspective. I wish the design was a little more aggressive. I also wish people were nicer, I was taller, I could buy a 10 megapixel camera for $200, and that my dog had better breath. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." SRT-10: Accept it. I won't call your car a clown shoe and you will quit calling mine an S2000. I am pretty sure that we are still fellow Viper owners. :laugh:

PS. Any chance that the GTS and SRT engaged in a speed contest during that highway cruise?:) If so what were the results?

Unfortunately, nope. The SRT was still under break in miles and the roads were both cold and VERY rutted. Sure disaster if there ever was one. But you might be interested to know that the stunning GTS won our "best bolt ons" dyno last May. Belanger headers, Borla 3" exhaust, aluminum flywheel, VEC 1, Random Flow cats, Smooth tubes & filters - 442.4 rwhp and 487.1 rwtq. Oh, and the SRT-10 was 452.7 rwhp and 503.1 rwtq on the same dyno - bone stock. It would be a very good race and one I hope sees the dragstrip this summer!

Chris

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy,

I did not make the statement, as posted my vette loving friends did. For all its worth I do not see any resemblance between the c5 and SRT.

If any car can be said to look like another can you then tell me what car it is that RT/10 looks like? And remember you need to go back to 1989 when it was first displayed to make a fair statement.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, you are the most likable guy on this board, and your taste in Vipers is impeccable, you ordered the same color combo as me, Black/silver in 2000 and the same color SRT, black in 2003. BUT, if you continue this interesting comparison with the C3 Corvette and the GTS with someone who has owned 30 Vettes, AND has a black 427 original owner C3 coupe in the garage right next to the black/silver GTS that is a twin to your ex GTS, then we are in for a considerable argument. One picture head on of these two cars when my garage door is open would destroy that argument, the sheer dimensions of the GTS dwarf the C3 from every respect, C3 Corvettes do NOT resemble the GTS any more than the S2000 Honda looks like the SRT. Both the GTS and the SRT look like VIPERS! Nuff said! We have been through a year of the SRT looks like this or like that. It really pulled the Viper community apart, with the attacks on the the SRT, and it sure did get under my skin with one on order and money down for a year. The car is here now, and it will serve NO purpose for the new owners to start unfavorable comparisons with the Gen 2 cars!!!! Sorry for the rant! It just seems the whole war is starting again! All we need is 1badgts here to comment on how the new Cobra is better.

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as the naca duct is concerned, even if it is an add-on, at least it is a functional ram-air and not just a "hole in the hood."

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the naca duct is concerned, even if it is an add-on, at least it is a functional ram-air and not just a "hole in the hood."

Hey, no disrespect intended! The SRT "hole" feeds directly into the airbox. Indeed, the airbox is sealed off from the engine compartment by a tight weather stripping on the hood (interesting to check out if you haven't already). There are also two other "holes" that feed air directly from the front grill area - again keeping the warm air of the engine compartment largely separated. I know the NACA duct helps at high speeds, but I also know some racers cover them up. Interesting stuff!

Chris

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
C3 Corvettes do NOT resemble the GTS any more than the S2000 Honda looks like the SRT. Both the GTS and the SRT look like VIPERS!

Bingo! If I may speak for Chris (and myself)..... That's exactly the point!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C3 Corvettes do NOT resemble the GTS any more than the S2000 Honda looks like the SRT. Both the GTS and the SRT look like VIPERS!

Bingo! If I may speak for Chris (and myself)..... That's exactly the point!

You may speak on my behalf ANYTIME! In fact, I just found some expensive models of the SRT in black, could you speak on my behalf to the wife? ;)

Seriously, you just beat me to the reply Joe. I would have quoted the exact same line with the same exact same reply. If other Viper owners are going to insist that the SRT looks like an S2000, then why not use the same analogy for the C3 and GTS? I mean really, if you can't see a similar shape in the pictures in the original post, well... Of course that "Lee" fella keeps hitting me with the measurements of the 1982½ Corvette in red with the automatic transmission, but that wasn't quite my point. :laugh: Afterall, if the GTS was really inspired by the C3 Vette, don't you think the magazines, much less the Corvette owners, would have picked up on it? Same for the "S2000-inspired SRT-10" that wasn't.

Good discussion!

Chris

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Chris,

Please cut and paste as needed:

Dear VCA member's spouse,

With Valentines day just around the corner, what better way to show your love, respect, passion and romance for your wonderful husband, than to gift him with an accessory for the object that is number two on his list of cherished items (of course, YOU will always be number 1 on his list)!

You will notice attached, an order form for a rather inexpensive item (compared to the cost of his Viper) that will absolutely make him know that you love him more than anyone else in the world!

Please send it out today (with overnight delivery requested, of course), and be prepared for the hugs, kisses, and well .... let's just leave the rest up to your imagination.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Best for a Happy Valentines Day,
Joseph Houss, VCA Pres

By the way, Janni, Laura, etc .... please use the "search and replace" feature of your favorite word processor to change gender of this letter, and use it as well.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh-heh. Cute.

AS FOR THIS:

If other Viper owners are going to insist that the SRT looks like an S2000, then why not use the same analogy for the C3 and GTS? I mean really, if you can't see a similar shape in the pictures in the original post, well... Of course that "Lee" fella keeps hitting me with the measurements of the 1982½ Corvette in red with the automatic transmission, but that wasn't quite my point. :laugh: Afterall, if the GTS was really inspired by the C3 Vette, don't you think the magazines, much less the Corvette owners, would have picked up on it? Same for the "S2000-inspired SRT-10" that wasn't.

Dam straight!

-Daffy

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was me that took the rolling shot of Chris's car. The SRT is quick, but I am ready to race. It should be a close race but I have no concerns.

The SRT has a slight advantage with the 345 vs my 335 tire. But is the run-flat a liability in traction? It may have a very stiff sidewall.

I would like to do some roll-ons without shifting to take any driver error out.

I do agree that the smoothy-hood Viper looks a little dated standing next to an SRT.

The true test will be this summer during all the get-togethers. I want to see what the crowd reaction will be towards the new Viper. Chris's car did draw a lot of attention during my ride home with him. It was about a 30 minute drive and lots of looks and thumbs up. This was surprising. This is NOT the type of reaction you get in a S2000. It was nice to see that the public knew it was a Viper.

If someone offered me a brand new GTS vs an SRT. No question, I would take the GTS home. (Unless I took the SRT, sold it for $100k+ on Ebay, buy a nice GTS and put the rest of the cash in my pocket)

Jerry Dobson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine