The New Coupe is Nice....

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
....but nothing special. I saw it up close and in person last week, and I really was not impressed. It had no more presence than the new zo6. I tried not to post this all week, but couldn't help myself because I feel so strongly about it.

This shouldn't start too much $hit, this is the genII section. They always said pics do not do it justice, you have to see it in person. Well I did, and it was disappointing to say the least, in fact it was just another car at the autoshow, nothing special.

Kinda beating a dead horse here, but it is the first time I saw the new coupe in person, (all black), and I was really hoping that seeing it in person would make me want one. You couldn't pay me to trade in my GTS for the new coupe.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. At first its really nice, but then when you really take a look at the lines, it almost looks cheaper atleast to me.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed. At first its really nice, but then when you really take a look at the lines, it almost looks cheaper atleast to me.

That is another good point. It did not have that exotic expensive presence like the earlier gen's. It did look kinda cheap.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For me, it was better than I thought it would be. I really have issue with the front end of the car being "edgy" to me.
This is subjective. Objectively, it seems like the next and correct step up (GEN III).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black is the best color too for the srtc. Yes, it's awesome and yes it's fast, but.... it's not a gen 1/2. The looks just isn't all there... but still want one to park next to my gts though. :2tu:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looked better in person for me but still did not make me want one. I finally came to the conclusion that the reason I was looking at the SRT line was just the fact that the car was newer. I am glad I did not trade to a SRT convertible. The only way I would have one is if it was an addition but not to get rid of my RT!!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you sure you saw the new coupe?? because ive seen the new coupe a couple of times in person and it looks better and better every time I look at it. the new coupes are awesome :2tu:

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying (very hard) to like the SRT Viper ever since it was released in 03. Like many have said, the new coupe is an improvement, but still does not have the exotic look and presence of the Gen I/II cars. I think they are going the right direction with the rear clip (on the coupe), but the front clip needs some re-design to re-gain its exotic look. Until then, I'll be in Gen II land...

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LETS be honest...If the SRT was REALLY that great....................Most of us GEN1/2 owners would have already traded up. THAT IS FACT. Not my opinion. If i can afford $80k for my BMW.....I can afford $65k for my Viper.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the Gen I and II Vipers in styling alone have proven a home run, A++. The new Coupe is an A. The STR 10 is a B+. In the performance and HP category, the Gen III's have the win but it is a photo finish.

I have yet to see the Coupe in person also so I reserve the right to change opinion then. I hope I don't have the same reaction as INFERNO.

My RT/10 will never be sold but I have a long life left and plan on adding a new Viper my garage within 10 years. I hope that the GEN I and II are not the only Gens with both A++ looks and HP.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
LETS be honest...If the SRT was REALLY that great....................Most of us GEN1/2 owners would have already traded up. THAT IS FACT. Not my opinion. If i can afford $80k for my BMW.....I can afford $65k for my Viper.

Good point...I agree. Keeping my GTS and not adding an SRTC. Besides I already have an SRT since I have a VIPER! :rolleyes:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could not be said better.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder why dealers are having a hell of a time selling the SRT Vipers? And when they do sell, they are being sold WAY below sticker!! hmmm

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperchad, Is your 2006 blue/silver coupe custom paint or stock? I know of the blue/white coupe of course for 2006 but hadn't heard of the blue/silver. Thanks.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are Fu$%$ing crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO....right, that's what it is.

I forgot to mention, as I walked around the new coupe.... searching for something I liked about it... I heard these comments at least 2 or 3 times each in the 15m I was there:

"The new Viper *****"

"That looks like the new vette"

"What is that?"

and my favorite:
"The GTS was way better than this thing"

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

agreed. Aint Denial a *****.

That's a pretty ignorant statement bro. This is my honest opinion on the car. It's nice, but not in the same league as genI and II's, and this is the right place for my opinion.

If you have a different opinion, that's cool, but don't think for a minute I, or anyone else here is in denial. If I wanted the new coupe, I would get it, that simple, get it?

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... You couldn't pay me to trade in my GTS for the new coupe.

I felt the same way Bro, so I kept the GTS and still bought a FE Coupe, now that you have seen a Coupe I Hope you will atleast drive a Coupe one day, it is an awesome car, much like our GTS and RT/10s....

I have never seen A Viper I did not like, I love them all,just my 02c...

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I felt the same way Bro, so I kept the GTS and still bought a FE Coupe, now that you have seen a Coupe I Hope you will atleast drive a Coupe one day, it is an awesome car, much like our GTS and RT/10s....

Thanks for your grounded opinion, I appreciate it. Driving it could possibly change my mind, I am sure it is an improved ride. I don't necessarily not like it, it just didn't wow me, you know? I just might have to wait and see when/what the next generation has to offer. You have two cars most people would kill for, enjoy them bro.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seriously, who is cooler than you with both Gen2 and Gen 3 Blue w/ White??? NICE :headbang:

MajorGeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got to agree. Somehow the new Viper looks more Vette like and the new Vette looks more Viper like and where they met in the middle, while nice, is nothing spectacular. Having just bought a 2001 because I dont care for the new look, I think the Z06 is a much nicer looking car. Since it is onpar performance wise and an easier drive, I would have leaned towards that if the choice was Viper or Vette. Of course since there are as many Corvettes out there as Dodge Caravans, I never had much interest in the Vette. The older Vipers just have that unique styling to it that put it into Exotic territory. I personally feel the new Viper is a huge departure from its roots, which if memory serves, was that the Cobra was the inspiration. I dont see that anymore..

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

LMAO....right, that's what it is.

I forgot to mention, as I walked around the new coupe.... searching for something I liked about it... I heard these comments at least 2 or 3 times each in the 15m I was there:

"The new Viper *****"

"That looks like the new vette"

"What is that?"

and my favorite:
"The GTS was way better than this thing"

The last time I went to my dealer for service one of the salesmen walked by my car in the service drive and said "Now that's a VIPER!" He went on to say he wished they still had those to sell instead of the SRT. I went in to ask the Sales Manager when they would get a SRTC in so I could see one in the flesh and he said we are not ordering any unless they are PRE-SOLD. He said they had too many problems trying to sell the SRT-10s they had and they couldn't make a profit when they did as the inventory carrying costs were killing them. He said on average they sat on the lot for 9 months. Keep in mind I live in the DFW area...not exactly a small market area. Draw your own conclusions. :smirk:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I recently made a detailed post on this subject, I only want to add one thought. The generation I and II Viper was designed by a team that grew up around the cars for which the term "muscle car" was invented. Lutz and his group had a vision. The vision was so powerful that even today, more than four years after the last gen II's were made, a GTS driving down the road evokes an incredible emotional response from people of all ages and from all walks of life. Dodge made a very serious marketing error. It did not continue with the vision of Lutz's group. The design of the gen III, I suspect because of budgetary and ease of manufacturing reasons, was not a true successor to the gen II's design - the meanest, most threatening , muscular, minimalist, purist road/strip race car ever to be masssed produced in detroit. I wish all of you with gen III's well. Like I said before. It is a good looking vehicle. But the discounting going on at dealers and the backlog of new gen III Vipers do not lie. The customer is always right and the customer is not buying. Dodge needs to let some over fifty gear heads bring the car back into the center of Lutz's vision for the car. My guess is that Dodge knows this already and that the 2008 Viper will be more consistent with the true Viper soul and have the necessary power to regain top dog status. Until that occurs, I will be keeping my supercharged GTS. It is not as easy to drive as the gen III but I did not buy it for it to be easy to drive. I bought it because I liked driving a car that felt like a force of nature and like nature, if you do not respect her, the car will teach you a lesson.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It had no more presence than the new zo6.
Drive an SRT Coupe into a parking spot next to a C6 Z06 at the local burger joint car show and the Vette will be invisible. Just like the other ten that are there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte