The origin of "Sneaky Pete"

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The origin of \"Sneaky Pete\"

Does anyone know how the original Viper logo got the nickname "Sneaky Pete"? Dont flame me if this has been posted before, I was a good boy and searched the forums first. Which means I did a search for "Sneaky Pete" and came up with 10,000,000 matches and decided it would be easier to post it.

OP
OP
G

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: The origin of \"Sneaky Pete\"

Either I stumped you guys or nobody cares. Oh well, I guess some things in life are to remain forever mysterious...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The origin of

I believe the sneaky pete story was either in an old issue of the Viper Magazine or in the Viper book. I can't remember any details but I believe it was one of the designers sketch that was intended as a cartoon or something.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe the sneaky pete story was either in an old issue of the Viper Magazine or in the Viper book. I can't remember any details but I believe it was one of the designers sketch that was intended as a cartoon or something.

Which Viper book are you referring to?

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sneaky Pete. A polysylabic name that to many, emanates exemplary peformance and epitomizes the realm of the sports car genre. The simple sight of this figure relegates society to a proverbial eutopia of four-wheeled performance. But to others, the sound of the words and the sight of Sneaky Pete transmutes incredible fear and trepidation. Not only is Sneaky Pete the sight of fear, but a visual personification of the adominable catacylsm that is yet to come.

Many generation ago, the ancient tribes of Chevrolania worshiped many forms of gods. Whether it be animals, statues, and even other people, the Chevrolans praised and sought hope in a plethora of entities. Though while these people seemed to be polythesitic, they all believed in one superior being. They praised this being. They worshiped this being. And, they even sacrificed their lives for this being. This being was the omnipotent force in the world. This being was Sneaky Pete.

Though as time progressed in Chevrolan society, younger individuals began to lose hope in Sneaky Pete. They started to somewhat ignore him and regard other gods as more powerful. These demagoues even went so far as to desecrate the monuments built to honor Sneaky Pete. To the elders in society, this feared them greatly. They knew of the incredible powers of Sneaky Pete and the ubiquitous proliferation of tumultuous wrath that would result thereof. Many prayed night and day, performed honarary rituals, and even went as far to sacrifice their women and children to mitigate the furious anger of Sneaky Pete. Though unfortunately, this was not enough.

The acrimony of Sneaky Pete soon swept down upon the Chevrolans with incredible speed. Garnered in Red with White Stripes, which was and is the most powerful color combination of the world, the vengeful power sought to slay all for their sin. It dodged in and out of homes and shelters to punish and kill. It went into churches and even schools to massacre the unfaithful. Sneaky Pete did not stop until the blood of every Chevrolan inundated the gounds.

When the slaughter was over, Sneaky Pete was still not done. He wanted to curse the unfaithful forever. He then took the blood of the dead and marked the village with a sign. This sign was to forever mark weakness, frailty, and utter shame. This sign was in the shape of two crossed flags---which symbolizes how Sneaky Pete was crossed and shows how futile the Chevrolans were, just like two little innouous flags.

The whereabouts of Sneaky Pete today is still unknown. Many believed he had enough of humanity and traveled to another world. Though whereever he may be, he is still being honored today just like he was being honored many millenia ago. Although it may not be in the form of sacrifice, his prescence is used to exemplify, grace and symbolize the most powerful and omnipotent sports car today, the Dodge Viper.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

No Fangs is Sneaky Pete's younger brother and the tale of his impact on the carp mouthed Chevrolans is another story, another chapter , that TKTPLZ will bestow upon the masses when the spirit moves him. It is a deeply woven tale, expressing sutle nuiances that generate a multi layered love of things ******* , yet, one wonders if it is a story that is too soon for the telling. From the shadows of Spring Mountain, near the blessed Winery of truth, we wait with bated breathe as the magic pen of the Pahrump Pulverizer weaves his words amongst the tendrils of our minds. Be patient, oh so patient, and time will tell.

OP
OP
G

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As entertaining as TKTPLZ's answer was, I will be going through my "Dodge Viper" book again to see if the explanation is there.

InjectTheVenom - The book is titled "Dogde Viper" by Daniel F. Carney. ISBN# 0-7693-0984-1. Published by Motorbooks International. Great read.

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got Vnum
What do you mean entertaining that was a direct quote from
The Book Of Mopars-3:16 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Skeeter :cool:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As entertaining as TKTPLZ's answer was, I will be going through my "Dodge Viper" book again to see if the explanation is there.

InjectTheVenom - The book is titled "Dogde Viper" by Daniel F. Carney. ISBN# 0-7693-0984-1. Published by Motorbooks International. Great read.

Ahh thanks :headbang:

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In his book Guts, Bob Lutz devotes a chapter to the Viper. As he's describing the search for a name for the show car they were developing, he says:

"...we knew it had to be some kind of snake. "Asp" was out, since the serpent in question was too tiny. "Boa Constrictor" and "Anaconda" sounded too fat and lethargic. "Rattlesnake" didn't seem to suggest sound construction.

Finally, on the corporate airplane taking us from California back to Michigan, Francois Castaing, Tom Gale, and I agreed on "Viper." The marketing folks [who had wanted to use the name "Challenger" or "Avenger"] caved; the name was instantly assimilated; and one of our designers was sufficiently muse-kissed to generate, spontaneously, the now-famous emblem on the slyly grinning reptile, seemingly sharing some intimate joke with the viewer."

Lutz sheds no light on how this logo became to be called "Sneaky Pete."

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, but Ron the question was regarding Sneaky Pete and not the Viper name. In several books Lutz takes the credit for creating the Viper name.

My understanding, which is years old and may be twisted like most of my memories, is that a designer penned the emblem with a smirk as kind of a joke or cartoon.

I still like Sneaky Pete more than Fangs. And it looks the same upside up or down, with no explaining why it looks just like a duck upside down.

OP
OP
G

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score

In his book Guts, Bob Lutz devotes a chapter to the Viper. As he's describing the search for a name for the show car they were developing, he says:

"...we knew it had to be some kind of snake. "Asp" was out, since the serpent in question was too tiny. "Boa Constrictor" and "Anaconda" sounded too fat and lethargic. "Rattlesnake" didn't seem to suggest sound construction.

Finally, on the corporate airplane taking us from California back to Michigan, Francois Castaing, Tom Gale, and I agreed on "Viper." The marketing folks [who had wanted to use the name "Challenger" or "Avenger"] caved; the name was instantly assimilated; and one of our designers was sufficiently muse-kissed to generate, spontaneously, the now-famous emblem on the slyly grinning reptile, seemingly sharing some intimate joke with the viewer."

Lutz sheds no light on how this logo became to be called "Sneaky Pete."

Thats pretty much what was said in Carney's book. I went through it again cover to cover last night but found no new info on Sneaky Pete. It wasnt a total loss as I learned something new about my GTS...the steering wheel has a magnesium rim to save weight...another cool thing I can brag about :headbang:

Someone has GOT to have Lutz's cell phone number, Im sure he wont mind you posting it. :2tu: