The real reason I prefer Viper over Vette

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I was taking my Mercedez in for service. Next to the Benz dealer is a Chevy dealer. As I drive by the Chevy dealer, at the front of the lot is a row of new C6s for sale - the entire front row, approximately 18 vettes, in seemingly every color of the rainbow! Couldn't tell if any were Z06 or not (which imho is a problem in itself). The sheer number of brand new unsold corvettes on the lot amazed me. I have NEVER seen a Viper outside at the Dodge dealer, let alone a whole row of them. Every Dodge dealer I have been to that has a Viper has it as the central attraction on the showroom floor - not outside. Although I was not driving the Snake, I smiled as I drove by thinking how great it is that I do not drive a vette.

I am not knocking the performance of the vette, as I recently drove a friend's Z06 and it has a lot of nice attributes. But there is something to be said about relative exclusivity.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends on dealer. On Stevens Creek in San Jose they had three vipers in a row the other day:). But I agree on Chevys - the Chevrolet on Stevens Creek had like 20 of them in a row - not even the front one:)

In general I think that dodge has a room for improvement in sales - selling Viper among trucks does not do it any good, Viper just does not get attention and focus it deserves. Maybe (and maybe that's where is dodge heading) separating (at least on lot or like another showroom) sales of all SRT vehicles into one group (so it's obvious there is some serious HP business going on) would help to drive more sales.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw a new Viper sitting outside in NH two years ago.

That dealer was willing to let me test drive the car, which placed me on the track for buying my SRT-10.

I simply ENJOY my Viper and wouldn't care if every car on the road was a Viper..

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me, none of them were Z06's. All the Z06's are in the center of the showroom floor just like the Viper except they have anywhere from a 5 to 25k markup on them pending on the dealer.

However, I do agree, the reason I want a Viper is because its exclusive. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with you guys but Dodge could make 100,000 Vipers annually and I would still take it over a Vette.

The reason - RAW.

OP
OP
D

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with you guys but Dodge could make 100,000 Vipers annually and I would still take it over a Vette.

The reason - RAW.

Lol. It is Raw. Just one more thing I love about the Viper. The Z06 is too tame for me - too well mannered. The Viper is a beast. :2tu:

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But there is something to be said about relative exclusivity.

Yes, there's something to be said about relative exclusivity (that's one of the reason i switched from a Vette to a Viper), but there's a price to be paid for relative exclusivity as well (like finding a trustworthy dealer/shop to work on your car with a peace of mind).

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More like 30,000 Vettes per year but agree with all. Excusiveness has its
privileges. Kids (and adults) still take phone pictures of my Viper at lights and while driving by.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pick my son up from school and all the kids stop what they're doing and yell "Cool car!" and it NEVER gets old. How often do vette owners get this kind of response?

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are totally insane looking exotica.

I dig my vette more yet totally agree..the vipers a wild @ss looking ride.

Interesting perspective and very much on target.

JB

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 19 on the line at Chevy on Stevens Creek. #20 is the Lemans Blue 07 Z51 6 speed coupe that is now in my garage. And the Z06s are still inside with a 10K mark up. On Capitol Expressway, they have Vipers on the front line, including an 04 that I drove, and several 05s, all of which they will discount.
One dealer was willing to sell a new 05 for $66,000 which actually made it cheaper than a Z06 and only about $11K more expensive than my new Vette.

Yes the Viper is more raw. But I'm not so sure that it outhandles the Vette. And while one is getting soft, being able to pump in custom lumbar support and lateral wings, use Navigation, see your g's, speed etc on heads up display, listen to higher end Bose stereo, in a vehicle two hundred pounds lighter than my last SRT-10 isn't all bad. 400 hp isn't 510 hp, but it isn't too far off from launch, frankly.

There are loads of good points about both of the vehicles. Although, truth be known, the Gen 1.5 with the rear exiting pipes that I owned in black with silver stripes, was the best looking of any of the cars, Vettes and Vipers alike. If turning heads and relative exclusivity is what you are after, you really need to go back to the Gen I, 1.5, and IIs.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... see your g's, speed etc on heads up display...

LOL, after using the HUD on my vette for a month I shut it off . It became an annoying glare on my windshield. You'll see, the HUD is a novelty that will wear off quickly.