the skinny on header wrap

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the story on using header wrap or jackets. Some say the wrap or jackets keep the engine bay cool as well as increase power by keeping the heat in the headers to flow out. Is this true? Sounds like what Jet Hot coating is supposed to do.

On the other hand looking at the summit catalog there is a notation next to the header wrap-but not the jackets that usage voids manufacturers warranty? Why is this. Does the metal get so hot it fatugues? Or does it retain moisture causing the metal to rot?

On thermo -tecs website it says it is safe to wrap the cat, but others have said that is a bad idea.

I'm thinking of either wrapping or using jackets on almost the entire exhaust system as the heat is unbearable. Any suggestions before I melt the car down?

RMSVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest to stay away from it and get a good ceramic coating on the headers instead and possibly get a heat shield for them. Wrapping the headers will fatigue the metal faster and possibly cause cracks at the welds. Header jackets would have the same effect.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of ceramic coating an entire donor system as an experiment including the factory cats.

Will be wiring it up for temp monitoring including the internal cat temps. In addition, will be running one side uncoated and one side coated in order to monitor temps real time, simutaniously. Should answer a lot of questions on coating and heat reduction....

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the folks at Thermo-tec a call 1-419-962-4556. I have known the owner since he started in his garage back in the early 80's. They are honest and straight forward people. They are supplying Summit and a lot of racing teams.
I am sure they will answer to your questions truthfully.