The SRT-10 has FENDERS? ***?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me it's not so!

I was reading my latest issue of mopar muscle today when I noticed the silver SRT in the PVO section.... It has a normal lift up hood and fenders!

Will the production versions have this too? Surely they jest!

MadMaxx

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhh Japanese styling at it's finest
crying.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound caustic, but that is old news.

They changed the design to cut production costs.

Look at it this way, if you have an SRT, maybe it wont cost a fortune to get the body repaired after an accident, like the current Viper.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they just trying to make the installers whince? I mean... nothing like getting within 3" of the exhaust without anything in your way. Now you got delecate fenders to worry about... shessh.

It may be old news, but I never paid attention to the 03's
smile.gif

MadMaxx

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like it either. The car now looks so conventional, its lost its unique appeal.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They changed the hood to the conventional type because it was cheaper. The current hood we have was too expensive.

kernie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alas after three vipers, I did what I thought I would never do. I went and tried to put a deposit on the GT-40 today.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try Bill "the man" Pemberton? I know they were taking deposits a while back.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the Japanese corolla designer didnt think that having a one peice hood would make the car very econo-box and Stratus like, so he added fenders. Hence,...STRATUS RAG TOP!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, toured the plant the other day with Mark O, Brett and some others, and the whole hood issue in general is bothersome. The hood has lost its character lines completely, from all angles, truly sad that someone could design that car and feel that it is a worthy succesor to the GenII. Even the tour operator was pleading for us to give the car a chance and it will grow on you, and this was before he realized he was dealing with a batch of Viper owners. I loved the GenI from the prototype on thru, and I loved the GenII from the protype to production, from the first examples ever shown. DC knows the issues are out there, I felt that from talking to people in the plant, too late to make any changes at this point in my opinion.
I also think the C5 is a design success, and the GT40 is a knockout, although styling is subjective so chacun so gout as the French say up here!!
While the new car has addressed most of if not all of the quirks of the GenII's, it lost it's originality in the process, and I love the quirks!!
I'll toss exhaust on my GenII and have the same power level in an attractive car for now, GT40 looking sweeeeeeettt......

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<Alas after three vipers, I did what I thought I would never do. I went and tried to put a deposit on the GT-40 today>>...

Similar story here, 4 Vipers and I put a deposit on a GT-40 back in February. Bill P. is no longer taking deposits.

Hurry and bring out the Viper coupe!!!!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather they spent the money on the chassis and performance parts of the SRT than on making a 1-piece hood.

I don't honestly care if the hood is one piece or not. This reminds me soooo much of the Corvette. My '88 has a big 1-piece hood. The C5 went to a conventional hood. Now, not a single person would rag on the c5 by saying "yeah but MY Vette has a big, single piece hood". It's just a complete non-issue.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

The C5 went to a conventional hood. Now, not a single person would rag on the c5 by saying "yeah but MY Vette has a big, single piece hood". It's just a complete non-issue.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The man makes a good point.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheesh now you guys are whining about teh car having fenders? that is desparity
biggrin.gif

seriously, the current cars have inner fenders.. oh but I guess you guys wouldn't mind forking out 10-12K for a new hood when an accident happens in the garage one day....
smile.gif
just kidding,

If I had the $$ I would buy up all the hoods I can. NOS Viper parts are going to be a gold mine when people start restoring these cars in 15-20 years. I bet hood will be going 25-30K, heck NOS trunk finish panels for a 69 GTX is over 3K now, it's just *** metal.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whiners;

I think the GT-40 looks like a kit car.

Oh my God... I am starting to WHINE!

Come on SRT!

I thought beauty was more than skin deep? Are looks all that matters to you folks?

Jim

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
He makes a LOT of good points.

Too bad there are so many things which need defense or justification...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww, Jon... I never knew you cared... come on big guy, gimme a hug!!!! LOLOL J/k (seriously, I'm j/k - dont get excited).

Jon makes a good point too. I personally *WOULD* like to see the SRT be more aggressive. I would have preferred a coupe to the convertible, and I would like MORE power and torque than we're getting.

Having said that, I think the SRT is clearly an improvement, and I don't think the styling is BAD - it's still alot better than any other convertible I can think of (except the 360 spyder and Cobra 427 - but then again, I think they look better than the existing Vipers too). I would take an SRT over a Corvette, or Mustang, or a 911, or Lotus, or Aston... it's still one of the meanest looking cars out there - just maybe not quite as visually outspoken as it was before.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
Once again, you NEED to voice you OPINION on how good you think the SRT looks. Well, you and I do have something in common. We both like to share..so here its my turn I want to tell everyone how ugly I think it is. Again this is not aimed at you, but you can take it however you want. Comparing the Viper to an aston martin, or a 360 Modena Spider is like comparing Richard Simmons to Heidi Klum...there is no comparison. If anyone says it looks meaner, well if i look at Richard Simmons and Heidi, I could say a lot about richard, but the word mean doesnt come to mind.....
laugh.gif

You do have one point. Given the choice of a SRT or Vette,I would still have to pick the SRT. But to me, thats like asking wheather I would like to have my arm or hand chopped off....its the lesser of 2 evils.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokin,

I never said anything about how GOOD the car looks - I actually said I would like it MORE aggressive, however, the folks that detract from the car (you) make it sound like it's the ugliest car to roll out of Detroit since the Edsel. That is simply not true. The SRT is more attractive than most other cars offered today. I am simply saying that the only convertible cars I prefer to the SRT are things like the 360 or Cobra 427.

There is a BIG difference between saying I think the car is not as ugly as some say it is, and calling it "HAHAHHA THE STRATAMARO HAHAHAH". If you can't see the difference, there is a problem.

The big difference is I am not blind to the car - the SRT has things I would change, but overall I like it. Yourself on the other hand see no beauty in the car, and are not interested in viewing it in an unbiased way - you simply want to insult the car and contribute to an environment where legitimate owners feel uncomfortable - and the fact that you do this does not seem to matter to you, as you feel you have the right to make others feel this way.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, there are a few cars I some resemblance to in the SRT... but a Stratus is not one of them. The stratus dig is something invented by these guys to just take a shot at the car. When the argument degenerates into something that's just preposterous (like saying the SRT looks like a Stratus, or that is means "Stratus RT") I know the point of the post is just to insult.

***** on Road and Track might have been a more relevant dig... or even "Silly Rolling ****" would have at least been somewhat creative. I think Smokin is runnin' low on material (or he's not too bright - one of the two)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude