The very best Viper ever built !!

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality,
1. The Gen V Viper is the very best Viper ever built. Drives better, more HP, safer, and has more to offer than previous models. I’ve driven one and seen many.
2. When you consider the base model and what it offers over the previous (2010) Viper at a cost difference of $12,200 it’s a bargain. Note: the base price for the 2010 was $90,255 versus the 2014 at $102,485
3. Look what you get for $12,200. Additional 40 hp, Launch control, 3 stage stability and traction control, (few will say the Viper didn’t need this). More, Aluminum flywheel, modified intake manifold, modified intake cam, forged pistons,3:55 rear end, led lights, voice navigation system,with XM radio and internet . Not to mention a new body, and interior.
I’ve read these forums and many many of us have installed these abovementioned upgrades on our gen 1,2,3,and 4’s including me.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No arguement there.
But as been discussed ad nauseum they better figure out how to market them better or it'll be the last.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
100% correct... I wouldn't say that if it weren't true.. I have had since 1995 at least one of every generation and loved them all. However, the Gen V ROCKS ....with all the tech and control upgrades people have wanted for years and they still complain... yet its still very much a Viper..( not so refined like the corvette to appease the masses ) ..

Its not perfect.. its not for every one ... it disrespected by most....( kinda like me ) But its the ultimate American Super car... and I wouldn't have it any other way...

Its such a thrill whenever I take it out for a hell ride....love it , love it , love it

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality,
1. The Gen V Viper is the very best Viper ever built. Drives better, more HP, safer, and has more to offer than previous models. I’ve driven one and seen many.
2. When you consider the base model and what it offers over the previous (2010) Viper at a cost difference of $12,200 it’s a bargain. Note: the base price for the 2010 was $90,255 versus the 2014 at $102,485
3. Look what you get for $12,200. Additional 40 hp, Launch control, 3 stage stability and traction control, (few will say the Viper didn’t need this). More, Aluminum flywheel, modified intake manifold, modified intake cam, forged pistons,3:55 rear end, led lights, voice navigation system,with XM radio and internet . Not to mention a new body, and interior.
I’ve read these forums and many many of us have installed these abovementioned upgrades on our gen 1,2,3,and 4’s including me.

The base is 2 mode traction control and the interior is still plastic essentially. Now if you were talking about the GTS well then we are 20k higher and the difference is 32k from 2010.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be more reasonable to compare the price of a fully loaded Gen 4 with nav, vs a base model Gen 5. The Gen 5 base model still has more features than the loaded Gen 4. The prices are very close, then.

People can hate on the Gen 5, but I still enjoy being one of those rare owners and getting to enjoy mine. :)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% correct... I wouldn't say that if it weren't true.. I have had since 1995 at least one of every generation and loved them all. However, the Gen V ROCKS ....with all the tech and control upgrades people have wanted for years and they still complain... yet its still very much a Viper..( not so refined like the corvette to appease the masses ) ..Its not perfect.. its not for every one ... it disrespected by most....( kinda like me ) But its the ultimate American Super car... and I wouldn't have it any other way...Its such a thrill whenever I take it out for a hell ride....love it , love it , love it
Agreed that its the best but i believe the complaints have been overwhelmingly about performance not the tech and control upgrades. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if its the greatest Viper ever if the public isn't buying it. Hopefully things will pick up in 2014.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, THE BEST. Have to admit, I was skeptical they could maintain the "Viper" menacing feel without all the new additions, but this car is fantastic.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyway to put in quick battery connects, and/or a battery shutoff switch, I read a lot of posts of Viper people having dead batteries and some older models are hard to replace the battery...just my $.02

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyway to put in quick battery connects, and/or a battery shutoff switch, I read a lot of posts of Viper people having dead batteries and some older models are hard to replace the battery...just my $.02

Gen 5 has a "Hibernate Mode" that you can select when storing the car. Like others have said, it is the BEST Viper ever built. :)

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you all like the Gen V. However, with all I've read here I'll keep my very highly modded Gen II GTS. If I EVER take it out and someone DOESN'T take a pic of it I'll consider getting a Gen V or VI....not going to happen. Additionally, I prefer driving my car myself instead of letting a computer do it for me.:drive:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you all like the Gen V. However, with all I've read here I'll keep my very highly modded Gen II GTS. If I EVER take it out and someone DOESN'T take a pic of it I'll consider getting a Gen V or VI....not going to happen. Additionally, I prefer driving my car myself instead of letting a computer do it for me.:drive:
I sense a backhanded dig at the G5 lol but I think you are off base with that one. Since when does the G5 have computers that drives it for you????

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me continue;

1. Lighter due to carbon fiber in the roof, hood and rear deck. Plus aluminum door panel.

2. Lower cg.

3. Improved trans and trans ratio.

4. Brake cooling ducts.

5. World class paint/finish.

6. Shorter stopping distance.

7. Stiffer frame/chassis - better turn-in.

8. Track-pack option - good value.

9. Embedded stripes.

10. Improved battery location.

11. Integrated/customizable electronics.

12. Improved engine cooling.

13. Reduced engine weight..

14. Improved hood open/close.

15. Remote open/lock gas fill.

16. Verticle seat adjustment.

17. New/excellent door/window to body seal.

Reality,

Last edited:

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, that's a bit sarcastic on the computer comment. It barely interferes. In fact, I did a little fish tail last night with it FULL ON....and you can easily turn it all off.

I am a Gen II lover as well....have several. Went to a dinner last night....chose the Gen V....went to pickup donuts for the kids this morning....chose the Gen V. I have over 3K miles on the Gen V in a few months and my Gen IIs (some of which I have had for over 5 years) have less than 5K. The Gen V is an absolute joy to drive.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love the macho guys. ESC is a great addition so you don't kill 1) yourself 2) innocent bystander street driving.

It is great it can be disabled on the track - I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone thinks ESC is a negative for street driving.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the source: a make no sense comment; knows it all in under 200 posts; cannot afford a $100 to join the vca.

I love the macho guys. ESC is a great addition so you don't kill 1) yourself 2) innocent bystander street driving.

It is great it can be disabled on the track - I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone thinks ESC is a negative for street driving.

Last edited:

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just love the car, too. Would trade my Gen IV for one if was comfortable with the $ but not right now. I cannot remember many OWNERS of the Gen V complaining at all. I think it is a real value IMHO. Enjoy.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm going to have to try driving my car sometime. My chauffeur tells me it drives nice.

Sorry, your Gen 2 isn't the best Viper ever built. But I still love them, too.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed. Uncharacteristic "need to validate my Gen.V purchase" induced c_____ **** by many posters in this thread.
Funny. It sounds like you and your buddy RedBlack need to validate your older Viper purchase by taking digs at the current Gen and its owners. *** Kettle Black. You didn't realize your flawed premise can work both ways did ya. Regardless of SRT's ridiculous approach [marketing mainly] with this car its clearly the best built Viper to date. To argue that fact is to reveal your own insecurity towards your purchase.