There is a steel gray snake in my garage now

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who responded to my first pre-purchase thread. I now have a beautiful 2000 gts setting in my garage. :2tu:

I cannot get enough of driving this car, even in the 90+ heat here in San Antonio. After driving the Viper, my 7 series really seems like a slow old man car now (j/k). I actually now own the two vehicles I desired as a adolescent, a Viper GTS and an 80 series Toyota Land Cruiser. Setting next to each other they seem to be a good complement, now I just need a bigger garage. Do they build houses in the 2k sq/ft range with an equally sized garage? Hehe, single mans dream home I suppose. :lmao:

There are a few things that need to be addressed, such as the hood and driver's door alignment, a broken fog light lenses, paint yellowing and pealing from the rocker panels and lastly some corrosion beginning on the fuel door. All in all with the seller's situation having to sell quickly, I feel $30k was a good price. I would have preferred less than the 44k miles and the fact that there have been nearly 1/2 a dozen titles issued on the car but everything that's important was in order with the car.

I do have a few questions for you guys. The tires are not the correct sizes F&R. The rear tires where special euro ordered Michelin Pilots in a 345/35-18 (tire sidewall date is '09). They look great but it seems even the euro sites no longer list that size. Where can I go about obtaining this tire if I need to? The front tires are 265/30-18 since the PS1 Pilots are no longer made in a 275/30-18. However, they still make the tires in a 285/30-18. Should I keep the 265s or go larger with the 285s? Will they rub, anyone run that size, etc?

The car also has the muffler's deleted. I LOVE the way it sounds but is the engine receiving adequate back pressure with just the stock resonators? I was also thinking about an X-pipe setup to replace the straight pipes in the muffler's location, anyone done something similar? I plan on adding high flow cats, since apparently they run cooler than the oem units.

The car also has the 40mm rear calipers and slotted/drilled rotors F&R. That's about it for the whole car. Any other small upgrades I should consider?
Yes, and finally the pictures. :drive:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new toy!!! That's a heck of a lot of car for $30k. Vipers sure are a great bargain. :)

For the exhaust, I have the same setup as what you're talking about. Just the resonators in the side sills, but the back muffler has been replaced with an x-pipe, and I do have high flow cats. It sounds very studly. :)

Up to you on the tires. You'll be fine with 285's if you choose to go that route, they won't rub. I had 315's up there on SSR wheels for a while.

If the tires on there are good, I'd just run with them for a while. If you're anything like me, you'll have the itch for some new whees in about six months anyway (possibly necessitating new tires). ;)

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. I couldn't help but notice in the first pic you are already attracting the LEOs in the area! Must be something about us Houston members!

Have fun.:2tu:

OP
OP
B

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your motor & trans mounts with that mileage

Will do. I do notice a slight "pop" sound when I let out the clutch in reverse. It has also done this on a few occasions in first during aggressive starts. Could that be one of the mounts?

I also just got the car on jack stands and pulled the tires tonight. I am very impressed with the rigidity of the frame and that my floor jack got under the car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to question your knowledge, but make sure your not jacking your car from the rear diff or the front cross member.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper