thermostat bleeed screw tool

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the name of the tool to remove a plug with a square hole in it instead of torx,etc?
Thanks
Luc 00GTS

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Square drive. If you are talking about the screw that is used to burp the system...you're SOL in actually finding one...I ground down a 1/4" drive 3" extension. Even a socket with the proper square drive won't work, as you can't actually get it on the screw due to limited space you are working with.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try searching Dave6666 posts. I recall he listed the actual part number and size from Snap-On I believe.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Snap-on part/socket. Dave had an S&K socket listed. I do not believe that he used the square drive for the thermostat bleeder screw on the top of the stat....but used the square drive socket for the drain plugs on the block. The snap-on socket does not work. I spent several days agonizing over this ******* Dodge design. Save yourself some time, grab a 1/4" drive extension and grind it down to fit. I used a metal file and a vice...took about 20 mins but worked perfectly.

FYI - an alternate way of bleeding the system is listed on the DIY section, and Tator recommends it.

IMHO - Save yourself a few headaches and have the Dodge dealer do it for 200 bucks. I do all the work on my car, but avoiding this hassle would have been worth it.

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the answers, i need the tool not for my Viper but for my tow truck.
I agree that the Vipers bleed screw design/location is not the best and i just disconnect the heater hose by the firewall when I change coolant/bleed the system.
luc 00GTS

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But did you get the top bleeder screw out or just remove the block drain plugs? Could you post a picture of the S&K socket you purchased that worked on the bleeder/burp screw? I found that no normal sized socket would fit (meaning typical diameter of the socket base). I purchased the correct size..but that wasnt my issue. You need something quite small in diameter to fit in the hole and not hit the intake manifold. After looking at the S&K link again, it does appear that they are smaller than the Snap-On sockets.

Ladies... Pay attention!

They are pipe plug sockets. And if yours doesn't fit you have not bought the correct size yet, because they have them all.

Here's a link to SK's web site.

I buy them from toolsource.com.

SK Hand Tools: Professional Tools Since 1921

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But did you get the top bleeder screw out or just remove the block drain plugs? Could you post a picture of the S&K socket you purchased that worked on the bleeder/burp screw? I found that no normal sized socket would fit (meaning typical diameter of the socket base). I purchased the correct size..but that wasnt my issue. You need something quite small in diameter to fit in the hole and not hit the intake manifold. After looking at the S&K link again, it does appear that they are smaller than the Snap-On sockets.

The SK tool does hit the intake. But as I customize tools all the time, that thing is just a welder and grinder away from being the stuff.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Either way, nobody sells a tool that can be used without a little grinding. Cheaper to buy a 3 dollar 1/4" extension and grind that down to fit. :D

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can afford a Viper because I am cheap. :rolaugh:

Actually, I paid 18 bucks for that Snap-On socket and ended up grinding down an extra extension instead. The extension is more readily available anyway.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way, nobody sells a tool that can be used without a little grinding. Cheaper to buy a 3 dollar 1/4" extension and grind that down to fit. :D

Spend a few dollars more and buy the U.S.A made version. I did grind down a cheap, chinese-made 1/4" extension and it worked until it snapped off and got stuck in the bleeder screw. LOL. Now I bleed using Tator's method. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950