thermostat change on Gen 1

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the thermostat on their Gen 1 themselves? Just wondering how easy it was and any helpful hints.

Thanks in advance

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No, but I did change all the radiator hoses (5) on a Gen I recently...same approach. As you know, once you remove wiper arms and cowling, it's still a tight fit. I asked my friendly Tech about same, and he told me that he can do it with this approach MOST of the time...BUT, on occasion, he's had to remove intake manifold to get the thermostat job done !! I guess it can vary Viper to Viper. I'll take a better look later this week when I change the rad. hoses on the other Gen I.

P.S. Sounds like the gang had a GOOD time on the KY trip, Will.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my stat with the intake on. however it is a tight fit...and you need to be careful not to break off the temp sensor,located in the lower part of the housing.but with patience it can be done.if it has never been off,removing the original gasket material can be difficult.keep in mind if your mechanically inclined, the intake is a relatively easy removal,which is also the best time to change your ignition wires.good luck.

OP
OP
T

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and info, doesn't sound too bad.

And yes we did have a good time Steve, you will have to find out the pickle jar story.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When doing this type of work, is it recommended to remove the hood? That is not something I want to do if its avoidable!

Tomer