Thermostat Installation

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Botthof:
Can someone please list engine components that must be removed to install my 180 degree Mopar thermostat? Any opinions on this part? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THE YEAR MATTERS ! Install on an early Gen-I may more difficult than Gen 2, due to access.

The long-advertised MPP 180-degree T-stat is finally available, after being Vapor-Ware for over 6 months. Fits all Viper motors '92-01, and kit comes w/ both gaskets Gen1 and Gen-2. [List $95. PartsRack $79] Cragin an others have had a good "clone" for $69 + $10 gasket for a long time.

The T-stat just opens a bit earlier than the OEM 190-deg stat. So, coooling begins a tad earlier each cooling cycle. Can be a "5-degree-10 degree" bonus on cars that run marginally hot.

Its is NOT a panacea for overheating Vipers! If you have an overheating Viper and a full-open (NO) Tstat, you will eventually overheat! The lower temp range just prolongs your agony.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested in this Jon. Do you know how hard it is on a Gen II? I have a 00 GTS.

Steve

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RECOIL:
I'd be interested in this Jon. Do you know how hard it is on a Gen II? I have a 00 GTS. Steve <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After relooking (I had only done a Gen-I), the I/M is kind of a pain. Its not a snap on Gen II either. You will have to remove and regasket the I/M...and the T-stat. Be sure to use a plastic scraper (like an ice scraper) on old gaskets. T-stat gaskets is usually very decomposed. The alim can scratch easily. When loosening the I/M, be careful of fuel line at rear.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a lot of work for what I consider a minimal gain. If you are doing other work that requires manifold removal then by all means do it. But if your goal is to keep the engine cooler install a larger radiator.