Thermostat reading 200-220

BlackViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this normal? Under normal diving conditions I would say my thermostat read about 200-220 degrees. Now if I'm on a highway going about 70 or so in 5th gear it will drop down to 200-210 but it never goes down to 190 or so where I think it should be. Are there any tests that I can do to see what might be at fault? I've read there are a lot of water pump issues but mostly with the '01 models, not sure if my '99 GTS would be affected by this.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Tyler

OP
OP
B

BlackViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing has been changed, it's not low on coolant, and yes it's been burped.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this normal? Under normal diving conditions I would say my thermostat read about 200-220 degrees. Now if I'm on a highway going about 70 or so in 5th gear it will drop down to 200-210 but it never goes down to 190 or so where I think it should be. Are there any tests that I can do to see what might be at fault? I've read there are a lot of water pump issues but mostly with the '01 models, not sure if my '99 GTS would be affected by this.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Tyler

Is it a 2000 GTS by any chance?

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get the gauge checked? Our 2001 Paxton was reading high when we picked it up last Oct. so when we had it dynotuned they put a heat gun on it and found the gauge is reading 10-15 degrees high. I also had a 170 degree thermostat put in. Now it reads about 185 on the highway.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old stock 01 stated at 200-220 and when I got on it jumped to redline. Changed the thermostat and never went pass 200.
Also try the roe fan kit. Turns the fan on at lower temps.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't the third hash mark at the middle about 200 degrees? Mine runs at the third hash mark or slightly above in high heat with traffic. :dunno: At cruising speed it runs about the center hash mark above where it says 190.

OP
OP
B

BlackViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the third hash mark at the middle about 200 degrees? Mine runs at the third hash mark or slightly above in high heat with traffic. :dunno: At cruising speed it runs about the center hash mark above where it says 190.

I don't know, I guess that was my question if it was a problem or if it's supposed to read that high. I gave little attention to this gauge last year, but this year when starting it up it just seemed a bit high because the third hash mark is about where mine likes to sit in traffic, in city driving, or if I'm getting on it a bit.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine used to be PAST that, now it's around 170-180 on the street and maybe 220 at the track on a hot day.

I put a new thermostat on mine, I also run water, 2 bottles of water wetter and 1/3 coolant (spring-fall). Another thing that helped a LOT was cleaning out my radiator..yeh take it out and clean it, you will be surprised what kinda stuff gets stuck on it haha.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie is correct. A lot of people neglect the cooling system (myself included) but it should be flushed and cleaned regularly. I replaced the radiator in my 98 after 120,000 miles and it really is amazing how much crap gets caught up in there.