Thermostat Replacement - Gen 1

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes...have long and skinny arms ("weasel-arm"), patience, persistance...AND, consider upgrading to Roe silicone hoses while you are there. :headbang: :headbang:

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you get the housing to clear the intake manifold with it still in place!? Were you able to get the T-stat inplace w/o removing the housing completely from the engine bay first? Either way, more power to ya Steve :)

I ended up removing the intake manifold when I did mine. It wasn't hard. Get a socket and glue a small round magnet inside on the bottom. Helps hold the bolts in place while you try to ease your way past the ribs of the intake manifold w/o dropping them.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
MadMaxx, my experience is a case of one...and, in support of your position, a friend-Viper Tech tells me that he can often change a Gen I thermostat without removing the IM...BUT, it seems to be a "luck of the draw" in terms of the clearance back there, and he has certainly had to remove more than one Gen I IM to complete the job. After removing the cowling, I do find it helpful to remove the two cowling support struts for better access when "plumbing" a Gen I.

Jim, if you plan to do it, you might want to have an IM gasket on hand....but if in doubt, pass job to a Viper Tech as it IS a pain !!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an emergency thermostat housing gasket replacement while on a trip some years back. It took the viper mechanic all afternoon to get at it and replace it. He had to use gasket stock as no parts were available. Fixed and the issue never returned. He did remove the windshield surround though.

stompper3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had mine changed soon after I had my car in 1997. I seem to remember the tech doing it without removing anything. I agree you need long skinny hands and fingers. I can't remember if he removed the black piece of plastic sitting under the windshield to free up some room?
All I know is that I remember saying I hope this one lasts forever because it was a tough job...

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone actually changed thermostats on a Gen 1 without taking off the intake manifold? Hints!!!
Yeah - I watched my Viper tech do it one time. Sorry, didn't know it was especially hard, so I didn't watch that closely.