think a viper spec t-56 can hold 950 rear wheel foot pounds?

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few DLM S/C cars that have that type of power, and they
haven't had any transmission trouble as far as I know of.
Since your car is a lot lighter than the Viper, I don't think you would have
any problem.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the high end NOS vipers are doing 850/900 ft lbs at 3600, that is far worse on the tranny. Take a look at Tom Welch, I believe he is doing over 900 ft-lbs with hundreds of runs on ET's. The tranny is the least of your problems. Tom is putting the second stage in only once he is under way and never during shifting.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think he meant 900ftlbs at 3600rpm not 3600lbs!

You are looking for a $3000 fix for a 1000hp problem.... that's a great advert for the Viper trans that many are getting away with it. For street its probably fine. What have you got to lose - your problem is really a good $10,000 one to fix properly if you are serious about track work - $3k is a bargain!

No factory trans is set up to take that kind of power forever - and a good pass with everything sticking could kill any street trans with 1200ft lbs!

If you want a 60footer under 1.4 seconds on a regular basis - you're looking at Jerico or spend the big bucks for an Australian hand built Hollinger. They come in 6 speed and can be sequential. That's what the 1000hp Skylines run doing 8's. Any street based trans is too brittle for regular track work at 1200ft lbs in my opinion unless you soften it with wheelspin. The drag trans run a softer metal that can handle big loads but will wear out real fast for street use.