Thinking about going from Vette to Viper

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey VetVette,

I've got several things going on here. Number one, I'm looking for a project "Race" corvette and am curious about your car. Number two: I have a 2000 GTS for sale that is awesome! Number Three: I would like to help you and live at Frankford and the Tollway.

If any of the above tickle your fancy please contact me and I'll help to show you some stuff on the Vipers. I'll even take you for a Joy ride.

Regardless of your Viper choice I would go GenII or better. My 02.

Regards, David Tittle

Reaction score
Having made the transition that your are speaking of I think I can help.

I had a 99 C-5 that I traded for a 96 RT/10. Performance difference...oh man!
1. First off the main thing to keep in mind is when you press the pedal to the floor...bad things happen!! Yes the HP is a big difference but its more the TQ that gets you. The other think to keep in mind is you will be going from a 99 C-5 all decked out Vette to a (maybe 94 Viper) these cars are not as "friendly" (I mean handling, ABS, things like that) as the Vettes. Most people that go from Vettes to GEN I Vipers complain about not having the gadgets or a top. I like to look at the GEN I as "a big motor and 4 tires".
2. Going out in public, you will be giving a 10 min lecture everytime you fill up with gas, you will open the hood about 2 times a day to show the motor (so keep it clean). If you go with the GEN I make sure you take your top everywhere and KNOW how to get it on quickly
3. Cornering, The Vette "feels" safer than a GEN I going into corners. Part of this is due to the massive TQ...Corner + Pedel to floor = Viper going in oppisite direction.
4. What to look for in GEN I, Well I could spend all day comparing them but the only advice I should really give you is if you live in a "rainy" place or VERY cold I would rethink the GEN I because of the top and windows...they WILL leak. Other than that there is a list somewhere on this site that gives kinda a checklist of what to look for. Scrapped Rims, head gasket, weathered interior, etc.

Anything I can do to help let me know...and good luck

ScottP

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vetvette
I went from a 98 C5 to a 94 RT. It's night and day!
The Vette is smooth,refined,high-tech,quick,nice car that my wife loved to drive.
The Viper is rough,raw,scary(at first),fast,**** car that my wife is afraid to drive and I wouldn't trade it for anything but a newer Viper.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Dave Tittle - A good friend - I am in Dallas, too.

I have a '93 RT/10 and '98 GTS and I have a C4, so at least I have some personal experience.

If you expect to daily drive the car, you will have to be willing to sacrifice tons of creature comforts to go from a C5 to a '92-'96 RT/10. These GEN I cars have no outside door handles, no roll-up windows and the hardtops cannot be stowed in the trunk ('96 RT/10 is sort of a hybrid but suffers from these same problems). So, to be frank, the GEN I RT/10 is more of a fair weather toy than a daily driver (although many folks do daily drive them). That said, I LOVE my RT/10 and in many ways prefer it to the more "refined" GTS.

As for the driving experience, I have to say that you will notice a HUGE difference in the RT/10 over a C5 in terms of raw power. But the Viper will bite much more easily; no ABS, no traction control, no other driver aids.

With these caveats, there is no question that I prefer the Viper to any C5, stock for stock. Tittle has an awesome Z06 that is essentially as fast on a track as my RT/10 or perhaps faster, but I prefer the primal experience of the RT/10. With a skilled driver, I think the RT/10 is faster overall.

Then, when it comes to modifications, I have to say that I prefer the Corvette. If you are a DIY person, there are precious few options with Vipers, and my C4 is my "fast" car (at least in a straight line). The volume of C4 and C5 cars make aftermarket parts less expensive and more available, especially in the engine department. While I can personally perfomance program the PCM on my C4, I cannot do so on the Viper and do not see any real hope on the horizon that an end user will have the ability to reprogram Viper PCMs. Notice how Tittle is looking for a C5 as a project car and not a Viper; he's a DIY guy, too and I suspect his preference hinges on similar concerns.

At the end of the day, for a daily driven car, I would strongly consider a used GTS. If you plan to leave it stock, the Viper just blows away any Corvette ever made in looks and performance and the Viper holds its value very, very well. I figure my '93 RT/10 is worth at least $35K (lower mileage examples are worth more), not bad for a car that cost about $52K when I bought it 7 years ago.

If you want to know or see more, I highly recommend vising with Dave, and I will be happy to show you my RT/10. Dave's GTS is awesome, too, and a great choice if you are willing to step up to a GEN II car.

Keith

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded in a 98 C5 for my 98 GTS. The Viper is unbelievably faster, handles better (in my opinion), and turns 5 times as many heads as the Vette did. Not bad for picking up girls either...

Tim

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded in a 98 C5 for my 98 GTS. The Viper is unbelievably faster, handles better (in my opinion), and turns 5 times as many heads as the Vette did. Not bad for picking up girls either...

Tim

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone with a Gen II always says to not go for a Gen I, but having a '94 RT I think it is great. Simple question, if you like the comfort of riding a Cadillac, you should stick with the Vette, if you like stradling a rocket that requires a little work to drive, go with the Viper. I love my '94 but that's because I love the Roadster look far more than the GTS. It's just a personal preference but I'm a side pipe and plastic window kind of guy!

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this helps:

Gen I -- 1992-96 RT/10 Roadster, 400 HP (415 in 1996).
Gen II -- 1996-2002 GTS Coupe, 1997-2002 RT/10 Roadster, 450 HP.
Gen III -- 2003 RT/10 Convertible, 500+ HP.

All Viper Roadsters have a put-it-together removable soft top. Gen I Roadsters have no side windows or exterior door handles. All Gen II cars have glass power side windows. 2003 Gen III will have a retractable soft top (true convertible).

In general, Gen II cars are more refined, and have an improved, more compliant suspension. However, the choice between Gen I and Gen II is largely a matter of personal preference and often is determined by cost.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If interested (sorry I have to post this, as you have no e-mail address), we have a member with an absolutely perfect '94 black RT/10 w/2 sets of windows, and hardtop, 2nd owner and ready to deal.

Give me a call, or email me if this is the color/year you're interested in.

Joe Houss, (732) 531-4600 (days)

Reaction score
Ill explain whats it like going from a vette to a Viper..from a librarian to a n exotic dancer..Dude , I have both worlds..I have a vette and A viper... The viper is animalistic..enough said on this topic..next!!!!!!

Will the real snake please stand up!!!!