Thinking about selling and buying newer one... Advise?

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 2004 candy apple red with ghost flame raffle car. I was thinking about selling and buying a newer one. Any advise on this? I love my car but have really been leaning towards a newer one. I just don't know, I love turning heads in this car and there is NOTHING wrong with it at all, I just really really like the newer ones. So torn here so was wondering if someone could tell me pros and cons of this? Barrett Jackson contacted me about placing my car in the Las Vegas auction this Thursday but I ended up turning them down because I just couldn't stand to let it go. Ughhhhh decisions decisions what to do????

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sell the car on bj and get a new one- you never know, it could bring the moon

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sell the car on bj and get a new one- you never know, it could bring the moon
I was going to but the sale is tomorrow and there is no way to get it from Texas to las Vegas that fast. I don't know anymore half the time I want to sell and get a newer one and half the time I can't stand to let it go

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya thats a bad problem, when it sits you wanna sell it, after you take it out for a drive, your back to keeping it....:teeter:

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya thats a bad problem, when it sits you wanna sell it, after you take it out for a drive, your back to keeping it....:teeter:
Exactly!! Omg that's soooooo it! I was driving around today and was like no way I'm selling this after 50 people about wrecked trying to turn around and look at it.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, drive a newer one, I sold my Gen3 to "update" to a Gen4. If I had driven the Gen4 first, I'm 50/50 on whether I'd have done it.

I love my Gen4, it is much smoother, cooler, and has a bit more power, blah blah. I say a bit cause I had a strong Gen3, it ran 125+mph in the quarter with just catback & tune. But ..... sometimes I regret it. Sometimes not. I miss the cam-like shake of my 03. And the feel is different, the throttle by wire has grown on me, but it's by no means something I like. Again, I love my Gen4, but for the $19K difference and the feel of my 03, would I do it again, I'm not sure I would. I didn't get a chance to drive a Gen4 til I had already sold my car, which I don't recommend if possible, try to drive one before you make that commitment and let someone drive off in your car. When I watched the guy drive off in mine, I'm man enough to say I felt like my dog died. lol

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No other (obtainable) Viper will be quite as unique as your raffle car, so if that exclusivity is really what makes you happy... you might want to keep it. I guess it kinda comes down to why you're thinking about a "newer" (by which you mean a Gen IV?) Viper. The increased power? Do you want an ACR? Or some other factor?

The timing on your BJ auction might be a little off, with Wall St. suffering right now. People with the cash to spend on expensive toys may have already emptied their wallets over the summer auction season...

It must be pretty cool to be able to tell people that you have (won?) a raffle car!

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No other (obtainable) Viper will be quite as unique as your raffle car, so if that exclusivity is really what makes you happy... you might want to keep it. I guess it kinda comes down to why you're thinking about a "newer" (by which you mean a Gen IV?) Viper. The increased power? Do you want an ACR? Or some other factor?

The timing on your BJ auction might be a little off, with Wall St. suffering right now. People with the cash to spend on expensive toys may have already emptied their wallets over the summer auction season...

It must be pretty cool to be able to tell people that you have (won?) a raffle car!
I didn't win it, man I wish I had! I actually bought it a few years later. The car is one of a kind and yes I love all the looks I get in it. But I was looking at a 09 that I have drove once that a friend owns. I really like it too. I don't even know what to ask for my car. To me it is priceless so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've had offers made on my car in the past but just laughed at them because it was never an option for me to sell even for a million dollars! Well maybe a million haha. But then I fell in love with Vipers period and now I can't get it out of my head to buy a newer one. I feel like I'm going to regret any decision I make at this point.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stepping up to a Gen IV often does not seem like all that big a deal. It just feels like how a Viper should be, just a little faster, a little smoother and better handling, a bit better ride, quieter inside, just a little smoother shifting, a easier daily driver, and a smoother idle.

It is when you get back into your old car that you realize how much better a car the Gen IV is. Your older car seems to run out of breath at higher revs, the ride is rougher, the tranny is hard to shift, and tends to miss gears, the clutch is way harder, it does not pull as smoothly off the corners, but is more eratic etc.

All these little things add up to a much improved Viper, but still a Viper non the less.

One is not going to be so much better than the other, just a bit different experience.

This is much the same for owners going from Gen 1 to II, and from Gen 2 to 3.

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stepping up to a Gen IV often does not seem like all that big a deal. It just feels like how a Viper should be, just a little faster, a little smoother and better handling, a bit better ride, quieter inside, just a little smoother shifting, a easier daily driver, and a smoother idle.

It is when you get back into your old car that you realize how much better a car the Gen IV is. Your older car seems to run out of breath at higher revs, the ride is rougher, the tranny is hard to shift, and tends to miss gears, the clutch is way harder, it does not pull as smoothly off the corners, but is more eratic etc.

All these little things add up to a much improved Viper, but still a Viper non the less.

One is not going to be so much better than the other, just a bit different experience.

This is much the same for owners going from Gen 1 to II, and from Gen 2 to 3.
Wow best answer yet... Really opened my eyes to how I felt when I drove both cars. I think I'm going to list the 04 and just see what it will bring and if it's a good price then I'm going to go ahead and just do it. Thanks so much for your input everyone. I am so happy I joined the VCA it's like my second family now!

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay now have another question... What should I start my price at? Lol

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on to her untill the Gen5 comes out. Then you can decide between the Gen4 & Gen5:2tu:

Not sure if ive seen a full size pic of your Viper. Could you post one up?

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on to her untill the Gen5 comes out. Then you can decide between the Gen4 & Gen5:2tu:

Not sure if ive seen a full size pic of your Viper. Could you post one up?

having a problem uploading pictures let me see if I can figure it out...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember seeing your raffle car at the VCA meet, on the convention center floor.

It is spectacular. The paint is very detailed, and a mile deep in luster. The seats were a special leather, and the interior had tons of special, one of a kind upgrades.

This is a one of one factory car with professional design and execution.

Do not know the value, as there are few to compare. It might be the type to sell at Barrett, but that is a significant expense to send it across the stage.

Bet the lady that owns all those Vipers and purchased the final Viper off the line at Conner, would want this for her collection. (De'Ann?)

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't win it, man I wish I had! I actually bought it a few years later. The car is one of a kind and yes I love all the looks I get in it. But I was looking at a 09 that I have drove once that a friend owns. I really like it too. I don't even know what to ask for my car. To me it is priceless so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've had offers made on my car in the past but just laughed at them because it was never an option for me to sell even for a million dollars! Well maybe a million haha. But then I fell in love with Vipers period and now I can't get it out of my head to buy a newer one. I feel like I'm going to regret any decision I make at this point.

Start with what you paid for it this past summer as a guide- add a few grand and see if anyone else wants it bad enough to pay a premium.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bet the lady that owns all those Vipers and purchased the final Viper off the line at Conner, would want this for her collection. (De'Ann?)

That's a fantastic idea. I think you should benchmark the car against a couple of the really unique/rare Gen III auction cars, come up with a price that would make you REALLY happy, and contact D'Ann Rauh to see if she'd like to buy the car. It seems right up her alley, pun intended.

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a fantastic idea. I think you should benchmark the car against a couple of the really unique/rare Gen III auction cars, come up with a price that would make you REALLY happy, and contact D'Ann Rauh to see if she'd like to buy the car. It seems right up her alley, pun intended.
I'm friends with her so I sent her a quick email letting her know I may be selling it, we will see what happens. Thanks everyone for all your input and advise. I don't have to sell the car so that makes it a little easier on getting what will make me "happy"

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Selling your GEN III for a GEN IV is pointless in my opinion. Yes the cars are a different generation but the GEN IV are just not that much different. Same interior, same exterior, similar rims, this and that. Yes it has more power, slight different tranny "configuration", slight different rear end "configuration", slight different tires. Tires are a wearable item.

If you are on the fence, just keep your GEN III and wait for the GEN V. Wait for a car that is truly different. Unless you have disposable income. Any sane person could not justify the a $20K+ change to a GEN IV only to look around the exterior and from the interior while driving it; seeing EXACTLY the same view.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you JUST buy the one you have? If so, the price can't have changed much...so I would not expect you could sell it for much (if any) more than you paid for it....unless you stole it........

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your bored with it....sell it and move on.
It's a car.
New cars make you.....happy.

OP
OP
G

Gibsoncw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you JUST buy the one you have? If so, the price can't have changed much...so I would not expect you could sell it for much (if any) more than you paid for it....unless you stole it........
Had it about 5 months and I don't know if I underpaid or overpaid for it.... It was my first viper sorry

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too would wait for the Gen 5. Just not that much radical difference between the Gen 3 and 4. At least not enough to justify the expense in my opinion. I have a Gen 3 and with the supercharger and new hood I like it better than a Gen 4. Granted the tranny is not as refined. You may love the Gen 5 and regret the trade. However if you insist, as a possible price reference, I was offered just this morning 47k on mine as a trade in. I would say that puts retail in the low to mid 50s? Mine is an 06.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang