Thinking of changing color on my Viper

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man! So many opinions. Jim over at Fat Alberts told me he will take it apart and then paint it so you will never be able to see the red anywhere. I told him that is the only way I would do it.

So many good people here to talk with. Please keep them coming.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DONT paint the car unless you are sure it will be taken apart to be painted. That is the only way to get a factory quality job. You will have to buy a windsheild to paint it properly but it is worth it. On another note, I am auctioning a blue GTS for a friend that has a flame job on the front end - anyone know how to remove that easily? (some bidders have been asking and no-one seems to have given me a solid answer yet) - see the car on ebay or at speedstuff.com

thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you do NOT plan on selling it who cares? But if you do plan to sell it most buyers would stay away from a repaint.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason I noticed from the pictures of the flame car that the inner door handle is different than mine. When year did they change them to silver? They look a lot better.

The flames on that car do not look bad at all. They are rather subtle. I am sure it is something one would have to see in person.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's your car, and a car whose only reason for existence is for the owners pleasure. If it pleases you to paint it, go for it and don't look back! You can always paint it back some day in the future if you get the resto bug.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott-

I had my front splitter Rhino Lined underneath and almost to the top of the front edge. It will dramatically lower your car, this is why I also bought a rubber wedge and taped it to the original facia so the front splitter would be held up a little higher. Check the media section under 1994 and you'll see my splitter with the Rhino Lining on it.
My front splitter is now driveable but I still have to be a little careful.

And my car was totally stripped apart when painted, baked, and three coats of clear coat.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks matt....that may be a good idea!!!!! so far were on 5 coats of clear multiple wet sandings.....then the graphics this weekend....then some more sanding and 2 more coats of clear,should look like a deep mirror when finished! and yes it was completely torn apart to paint!it's the only way to do it right.we actually found original broken hood latch catches inside the front fascia! oh and all the factory "crap sheet metal screws"are replaced with nutserts and stainless allen head fasteners.

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok now that is a crime against nature. Painting a blue and white Viper a different color. :)

I think WRECKING a Viper is a greater crime. (The PO did it!)

Anyway, I do sometimes feel guilty about the color change. The same sort of guilt I feel when I never get around to calling after spending the night with some girl. The guilt is worth it, in both cases...

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, I do sometimes feel guilty about the color change. The same sort of guilt I feel when I never get around to calling after spending the night with some girl. The guilt is worth it, in both cases...

Hah-hah. Despicable!
You must be registered for see images

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Eliminator, IMHO a color change that is done RIGHT will not even effect the value of the car.

Sorry I have to disagree with that point. As someone who watches these cars intently I can tell you that a repainted car (even repainted the same colour) ALWAYS digs a lower resale value. A professional job won't hurt as much, but to the buyer you cannot prove you repainted under good circumstances. They question will always pop up "Why did you need to repaint it?"

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about it Bonkers and this is what I will do. I will put the cover of the day's news paper with the date so we can video tape the beginig of the painting proccess and video tape the whole car to show the few little scratches that made me contemplate even touching this car with a spray gun. I think when, if I ever decide to sell this car, who ever I decide to sell it to can the work in progress as it get's sprayed and the date of the new's paper to show that it was not painted from being wrecked. What do you guy's think about that?

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and you should also cut off their little finger and include it with the ransom note.... errr... sorry... wrong board.

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I guess yellow it is. No ransom note though. I will try to bring the car in this week. I wont have it for three to four weeks. Thats the only bummer. But it will look like a jewel when it's done. It will be worth the wait.

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many clear coat's come on the Viper from the factory and how many should a new paint project require? Thats one I forgot to ask up front. I was told from my painter that there is one to two clear coat's from the factory. Doesnt seem like much to me.

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to another Viper friend today and he said don't paint your car another color. It will effect the resale alot more than you think. Great, I was just about convinced to bring it in and go yellow. Oh, screw it, I still might. Anymore last opinions?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ask yourself an honest hard question; if you do sell it, do you think you'll EVER get what you think she's worth anyway?

I say do it, its your car, its your money, and its your time, just be ready for it to cost you down the line. I have no intention of selling the car ever so for me it would be an easy decision - being interested in resale at all leads me to believe you might regret altering the colour.

OP
OP
E

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. tommorrow is the day. It's gonna be yellow in three weeks. I'll post before and after pictures. Wish me luck.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want you can call Defratus here in Dallas. He does several color changes
a year on Vipers here. Call him and ask your questions and see what he has to
tell.

So far the coolest color I have seen him do on a Viper was a Dream Cicle Orange.
That car is fine....

Here's his web site if you want to check out his work and his phone number...

http://www.defratus.com/gallery.asp

Check out the yellow car with the Comp Coupe silver stripes on it... nice too

The orange car is the one on the top left of the web site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc