Thinking of upgrading to an SRT/10 and have some pre-purchase questions

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently own a 1994 RT/10 and am seriously considering upgrading to an early SRT/10. I have really enjoyed the Gen 1 for the last 3 years, however, the lack of creature comforts has finally caught up. It is becoming too much of a pain in the a$$ to deal with snap in windows and a stow-away top in the variable MIchigan weather.

That being said, I'm looking to purchase a 2003 or 2004 SRT/10. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the know issues or changes from year to year? Here are some specific questions, however, feel free to chime in with any other suggestions that I may have overlooked.

1. With 2003 being the inaugural year for the SRT/10, were there any issues with the early builds to watch for?
2. Are there any differences between 2003 and 2004 that might influence my decision?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03 and 04 came with factory 7/70 powertrain warranty
04's possible cam bolt torque problem is built prior to 01/31/04
04's had a different oil pressure and temp gauge
05's had a different factory head unit
05's and up have a slightly diff. valve cover. vent tubes at the front
04's and up came with trunk mat
03's and 04's factory oil fill is 10w-30 while 05's and up 0w-40
no special editions made in 03
2003 have different connecting rod then 04's. they are forged in the 03's and PM in 04. Crank balance is also different
05's have different PCM
crank trigger location moved from the flywheel in 03/04 to side of block in 95.
05's up changed the damper bolt to 3/4" vs the smaller 13mm in 03's and up.
Main bearings changed in 05 to 180 degree mains from 120 in order to address oil starvation issues at rods. this is the reason for the lower oil pressure at idle for the 05 cars
04's up have red calipers , a few 03's had red calipers
timing cover changed in 05 to incorporate a wire holder for the cam sensor. old covers used a bolt on clip.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/601835-srt-10-differences-year.html

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I had a 93 and WAS in love with it ..... until ...... my Street Serpent was finally done. The SRT is SUCH a better Viper. Real windows, real top, handles like a dream (although I do have Moton shocks), brakes are incredible, and 10+ years of technology advances over your 94.

It does seem like the SRT feels smaller. Subjectively speaking, a stock SRT, in my opinion, does not look as aggressive as the RT/10 or GTS - but a nice set of wheels can make a big difference over the stock 10 spokes.

Had I not gone the custom, Street Serpent route, I would have definitely considered a Gen 2 RT/10 - which gives you real windows, but lacks the easy up/down convertible top. I did have the 3 piece trunk top which also was nice, but even that was such a pain compared with the SRT top.

You have to drive one to really appreciate the differences. Not just a 5 minute drive - but some good road time to really appreciate the differences. I would have loved to have kept both, but after driving the SRT, I would have to say that my Gen 1 would have just collected dust.

Serpent_8.JPG

viper_fourth1.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960