This damn alarm is driving me nuts!!!!

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lately in the middle of the night the damn alarm goes off for no apparant reason. Sometimes after turning it off and resetting it, it will go off again, sometimes not. Then in the morning when I unlock the car with the key fob the alarm goes off again. WTH is going on with this???? Getting woke up at 4am is starting to get old real quick. Any suggestions?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a scan tool they can check the status of things like sensors and switches. Dunno if it has to be doing it at that time, or if the alarm system has a history of recent events in it. But if you have a dealer that you don't mind taking the car to, all they have to do is plug in the tool, not do any installation laps around the parking lot. :crazy2:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
It is an easy fix for the Gen II's. Pull the hood switch out and push the holder down until the switch is exposed completely. There are pics on this site somewhere. Not sure how it is for the newer Gens.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With a scan tool they can check the status of things like sensors and switches. Dunno if it has to be doing it at that time, or if the alarm system has a history of recent events in it. But if you have a dealer that you don't mind taking the car to, all they have to do is plug in the tool, not do any installation laps around the parking lot. :crazy2:
Yeah I trust the dealership I take it do. The Viper tech guy there seems to be on the ball. Its like 45 miles one way there so I'll wait till the next oil change to deal with this.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is an easy fix for the Gen II's. Pull the hood switch out and push the holder down until the switch is exposed completely. There are pics on this site somewhere. Not sure how it is for the newer Gens.

I have no idea. I think my neighbor is going to take a hammer to it if it keeps going off at 4AM. lol

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GEN-IV had the same issue - hood switch!
I know of at least two other GEN-IV which had the same problemo....:eater:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often do you drive your car? This is a simple fix, drive it more. Cars are like dogs and if you don't give them a lot of attention they will do things like wake you up in the middle of the night for attention.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How often do you drive your car? This is a simple fix, drive it more. Cars are like dogs and if you don't give them a lot of attention they will do things like wake you up in the middle of the night for attention.
OK this kinda made me laugh. Its my daily driver. 16,000 miles on it since March 08, so yeah it does get driven. :drive:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put some layers of tape on the underside of the hood until the switch got adjusted - where the switch touches the hood. :)

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to sow fear, but assuming that nothing is faulty, I have heard of a really old trick that thieves use..

Basically they keep triggering the alarm on a car that they want at weird times, and annoy the hell out of everyone. When the owner finally deactivates the alarm.. guess what's available for the taking...

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to sow fear, but assuming that nothing is faulty, I have heard of a really old trick that thieves use..

Basically they keep triggering the alarm on a car that they want at weird times, and annoy the hell out of everyone. When the owner finally deactivates the alarm.. guess what's available for the taking...

I've turned the alarm off and not even 2 minutes later while I was still next to the car it went off again. And besides IF it was a thief planning on swipping my car I hope he has a bullet proof vest on cause I wouldnt have a problem shooting thru the door of my own car to hit him. The thing I hate most is a thief.