Thoughts on this as a first VIPER?

waddiisme

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=104&standard=false

I already have an '02 Z06 that I have been tracking for almost 5 years and have always liked the VIPER. Was thinking about getting one for occassional track duty at VIR/RD ATL, a daily driver and tinker toy. This is the closest GTS around as I prefer the hardtop. I would basically be keeping it thru the summer and fall and maybe sell later in the year. Just curious about maintenance, dependability, tracking disposables (pads, rotors, tires etc), and resale probability. I have trolled thru a few threads since I found this forum. It seems to be the most active. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
83,000 miles is A LOT ... I would get a full maintenance history and do a very thorough inspection of the car. Without proper maintenance over the years you could be get getting into a world of problems. Saying its in good condition is one thing but you don't know the diving history of the car and if the owner pounded on it you could be getting into engine problems.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a Viper tech to check it out for you or a knowledgeable owner in your area. (where are you located). There are members here that are often willing to look at a car.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The person selling the car is an idiot to say the least. Move on. You can buy a better car for a little bit more cash. Don't waste your time here. He will NOT come down on price, will NOT provide additional info on the car, has NO facts to back statements, and has NO idea what he is dealing with. He will give you a line of BS on how someone offered him 28K in cash and sent him a picture of the cash blah blah blah.

Its a $24,000 car with the BS you'll have to put up with to get the transaction done. Move along and have your first Viper buying experience be something worth remembering.

Good luck if you decide to go fourth with the deal, but I personally don't recomend.

As far as buying a solide 98 with 80K miles I say go ahead! You have nothing to loose. The cars are generally solid as long as you have record, or a honest seller to approve.

Can't go wrong with a GTS!

-Tim

OP
OP
W

waddiisme

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The person selling the car is an idiot to say the least. Move on. You can buy a better car for a little bit more cash. Don't waste your time here. He will NOT come down on price, will NOT provide additional info on the car, has NO facts to back statements, and has NO idea what he is dealing with. He will give you a line of BS on how someone offered him 28K in cash and sent him a picture of the cash blah blah blah.

Its a $24,000 car with the BS you'll have to put up with to get the transaction done. Move along and have your first Viper buying experience be something worth remembering.

Good luck if you decide to go fourth with the deal, but I personally don't recomend.

As far as buying a solide 98 with 80K miles I say go ahead! You have nothing to loose. The cars are generally solid as long as you have record, or a honest seller to approve.

Can't go wrong with a GTS!

-Tim

I guess you have already been in contact with him. Doesn't sound encouraging, but I am in no hurry.

BTW - I scoured the NC/SC section for Viper techs and didn't come across any. Anyone know of one close to Pinehurst, NC?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to flip it again this fall, buy something cheap and have fun with it, no use in buying a good one.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want it for fun on the weekends, 80K wouldn't scare me. Do a leak-down and visual inspection and it may be OK. There are several folks on this forum who have more than that and still use the car as a DD.

You said you might use it for some track duty; to which I'd offer two thoughts (1) much easier to go fast in a C5Z than a GTS in terms of the mods required to go fast and (2) Viper stuff is more expensive as one would expect with a 2000 unit hand-built car vs a 50000 unit production car.

If your Z is well set up, you'll be disappointed in a stock 98 GTS's stopping power and snap oversteer. Adding a big brake system, coilovers and motons will solve those issues but that's a bunch of $$$ for a car you may want to flip.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
waddiisme said:
BTW - I scoured the NC/SC section for Viper techs and didn't come across any. Anyone know of one close to Pinehurst, NC?

Tom Sessions

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Autotrader car looks like the front fascia has been repainted. Might just be the light, but the red and silver look different when compared with the hood.

I'd pass on that car, especially with the interior treatment.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bull-Sh*t meter high on this one:

The A/C is ice cold which is rare on the gts and rt/10. (I've had 3 of these and no issues with air-usually too cold)

The car has a few cosmetic flaws like most 98's (I had a 98--come on...)

I really need a car with 4 seats so thats why I have it listed so much cheaper than most vipers (Much cheaper because it has a ton of miles compared to other Vipers)

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its easy to pick apart an ad or the buyer. In the end you buy the Prroduct. Not the ad or the buyer...
The Viper i purchased wasnt 100% acurately advertized and the owner was a _____ who didnt know jack about the car and treated it like a honda as his daily driver since he also had other more expensive exotic vehicles in his fleet.

I purchased the car for a great price. Did a load of maintenance&mods on her myself which has left me with a deeper connection with the Viper. Her performance and durability has been proven on the dyno, on the road, and on the track.
I could have spent 10K more for a perfect car with 20K less miles but all that would have left me with today is 10K less in my pocket.

I think 30K is a Great price for any decent gen2 without a salvage title or frame damage.
80K miles is nothing. Thats like 5K miles per year(about what i drive mine)

1998-1999 could be considered the best year Gen2's because they still have the 708cam but dont have some of the common issues that the earlier(96-97) and later(00-02) gen2's have.

Goodluck in your Viper search. Hopfully we will see you at ViperDays VIR this year:2tu:

OP
OP
W

waddiisme

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I think I will hold out for something a little more track ready. It may cost a little more up front, but will be worth it in the end.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That interior is not as bad as some of the gaudy interiors I've seen paraded on here over the years....... sounds like the seller is not the easiest to deal with but it could be a deal......

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles should it have? I drive mine whenever I get the chance...

83,000 miles is A LOT ... I would get a full maintenance history and do a very thorough inspection of the car. Without proper maintenance over the years you could be get getting into a world of problems. Saying its in good condition is one thing but you don't know the diving history of the car and if the owner pounded on it you could be getting into engine problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21