Thoughts on this car for occasional track days please.

waddiisme

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this in the GTS section, but thought I could get some detailed feedback here.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=104&standard=false

I already have an '02 Z06 that I have been tracking for almost 5 years and have always liked the VIPER. Was thinking about getting one for occassional track duty at VIR/RD ATL, a daily driver and tinker toy. This is the closest GTS around as I prefer the hardtop. I would basically be keeping it thru the summer and fall and maybe sell later in the year. Just curious about maintenance, dependability, tracking disposables (pads, rotors, tires etc), and resale probability. I have trolled thru a few threads since I found this forum. It seems to be the most active. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadracing...?

I had an '02Z06 that I tracked for 5 yrs as well, kept my '01GTS as a Sunday driver. I sold the vette and am having more fun than ever in the Viper at the track!

I have found rotors to be more expensive, pads as well. There are some things you would need to do to get it track ready...right fluids, alignment/lower it, maybe some suspension changes, depending on your budget.

Overall I think the Viper has cost me more to track than my Z06 did, but parts seem to last a bit longer and the FUN factor doesn't even come Close to the vette!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd find one with some track oriented mods (BBK, suspension, etc.) you might pay a little more up front but will be cheaper in the long run

OP
OP
W

waddiisme

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadracing...?

Overall I think the Viper has cost me more to track than my Z06 did, but parts seem to last a bit longer and the FUN factor doesn't even come Close to the vette!

Thanks for the detaile info. I can't imagine it being more fun than the Z, but hopefully I will get a chance to see. There is this on the Corvette Forum, but it is a dedicated track car. Hard to imagine having a car just to drive once a month:

Viper VRL GT

Great Price on someone wanting to move up to wheel to wheel or time trials, raced in Viper Challenge Series while professinally maintained by Archer Racing

Professionally Maintained
Almost new race prepped Arrow Motor <7 hrs,
Quaife Differential,
Blueprinted Tremec Trans,
New Comp Coupe Brakes,
Lexan Front and Rear Windows,
Penske Triple adj. Shocks,
Carbon Fiber Doors,
6 point rollcage,
GT-2 Wing,
Recaro Seat,
Team Tech Harness,
Camera Mount,
Halon Fire System,
Fuel Cell,
Forgeline Wheels
and much more..........

The car was meticulously setup and cared for by Archer Racing.

Over $130,000. invested - $30,000

Please call for more info or pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should try to find one with a big brake kit, and track wheels/tires (for safety's sake) at the very least. The dedicated track car will not be so much fun to drive on the street. For occasional track days, go with a few mods but not full race car.

You might want to put what part of the country you are in, and also call the Sponsoring Vendors on this site to see what they have that might suit your needs. I would have a much higher comfort level buying from a dealer who knows their Vipers bcz they are not likely to take a wrecked car into their inventory. Good luck in your search!

OP
OP
W

waddiisme

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking the advice here. Holding out for something a little more track ready. I was planning on moving to C6Z in the future, but might spend some time with ACR first. Thanks for the help.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car you are talking about above is not the car pictured in the ad you mentioned. If this car was maintained by Acher, I don't remember seeing it at the track in the last three years. Acher has been taking care of my car for the last four years and I have been pitting with them for those four years. Is this car at Acher Racing? Call John Acher to get more specifics. His number is 218-727-4806

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking the advice here. Holding out for something a little more track ready. I was planning on moving to C6Z in the future, but might spend some time with ACR first. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the club. I remember you from AX&RR forums :)

I tracked C5Z for 6+ years and wanted something different, so similar boat.

Looked long and hard at C6Z. In the end, it became pretty clear that unless I can find one that was built and maintained well, there would be too many things to address just to get it to minimum safety and reliability level I would want (pan, oil pump and tank upgrades, harness mounting solution, seats, good calipers/rotors, coilover suspension - which is pretty much a requirement for oil pan upgrade).

This is not even getting into the fun stuff- aero, power/gearing etc. anyway, decided to pass on this. did the math, added up to the Viper money or more, unless I would buy really beat up 06/07 with unknown motor wear.

Looked at dedicated race/track cars as well. was really close to starting to fly around the country to look at 996 cup cars. realized that I want to have an option of packing the travel bag, throwing the helmet in a passenger seat and taking a weekend trip to the track out of state without dealing with trailers, etc.

Long story short, ended up with gen4 ACR. everything works on the track (so far), although I am still pretty close to corvette speeds - feels like I barely scratched the surface with this one. The fun factor is through the roof for sure.

It is a big chunk of change upfront for a track toy, but actually not that far from what I ended up putting into the C5 over the years. And not just another "track day corvette". don't tell AX&RR people I said that...