2006 srt10 questions

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, im about to pull the trigger on a 06 viper coupe and was wondering if there any pitfalls to watch for. I'm trading in my 95 Viper rt/10 with 60 k miles on it. On paper its my car plus 31k. My credit union is giving 2.99% interest rate for 72 months. So i'm looking at $470 per month.

Im buying it over the internet as the car is in texas. Does anyone know about this car?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&cardist=594&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think your crazy if you buy it"sight unseen" learned this the hard way once. Never again. And do not believe any salesman that tells you its perfect, thats bull****. Have it checked by a Viper tech.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Look like OEM tires, dump them ASAP, they look shot / VERY DANGEROUS. Looks like a beautiful car, should throw in a new set of tires. Get a Carfax report on it. Good Luck.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a VOI IX car and a very beautiful color combination. If there is nothing wrong with the car I think it's a reasonable price. You should get a little bit more for your car. I was looking at this ad this morning. The VOI IX cars are among my favorite.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorgeous car ! If you could get $23k selling yours and offer $48K then you would only need to finance $25K. If you really want the car and don't want to risk losing it then see if you can do your car and $28k but do what you need to do. The deal he's offering is ok if it includes sales tax I guess.

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Six year loan on a used car? Ouch! This sounds upside down. How long have you owned your 95'? 29k miles is a little high for $49,000 dollars on an 06.
Yes the V O I 9 Viper is beautiful. You would be better selling your Viper yourself for much more than 16K. And then walk in with a down payment.
My father always said. 1 "Walk away and sleep on it". 2 "Measure twice and cut once". 3 "Are you crazy?

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The price on the 2006 voi 9 car is okay , I would say for the mileage it's kinda high but if you want to factor in the voi car then I guess that could be worth more to the right buyer. I agree with some of the other members here. The trade in price for you car is to low. I would spend some time selling your car first and get a fair price. I would think you could still get in the low 20's for the 95
Even with the higher mileage as long as its been maintained. I also agree with 1hotv10 walk away from the deal. Come back with a better downpayment and take the trade out of the deal. Money talks, corvettes walk!

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. They tried to close the deal this afternoon but i want to sleep on it. Do you fellas have any suggestions where I can find a better deal? I really want a coupe although i would take an 08 in any form.

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my 95 for 5 years. I love the car except that it so loud and its time for a change. I'll see if they can throw in a set of new tires and get some kind of warranty. The carfax shows its clean without incident.

I've thought about selling mine out right hmmm...

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My guess is first you need to decide what you can afford and which model you really want. If you go for the non voi Viper, prices should be a bit more reasonable say mid 40's for an 2006. gen 4 2008 models will be quite a bit more. I would look on this forum. Also try some of the more reputable dealers like the Viper exchange, that deals with a lot of Vipers and are very knowledgeable. Good luck. Post photos when you get it and if you have more question this is the place for help.

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try the viper exchange. I have yet to find the elusive 06 coupe in the low to mid 40's. The gen 4 is simply out of my working stiff salary. (Probation/Parole)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storied GEN III Coupes are in the 40s, the rest are still in the 50s. There is a reason you can not find a good one in the mid-40s because the one you want is not out there. Hold your own on your GEN I. You should be getting at least $20K to $23K, even if it is in rough shape. I agree with a few others, just sell your GEN I outright and walk into your next deal with what cash you can. You will also find a better deal on the next car that way. Don't worry about a 5 to 7 year loan. Many owners have them as there are less fortunate people out there that can not afford to just write personal checks for their toys.

In the end, I also agree with others, you are better to see a car in person. Spening that extra $500 on flights, hotel, etc. to check it out will say you a huge head ache later. It is just good insurance.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorgeous car ! If you could get $23k selling yours and offer $48K then you would only need to finance $25K. If you really want the car and don't want to risk losing it then see if you can do your car and $28k but do what you need to do. The deal he's offering is ok if it includes sales tax I guess.

Try John Gastman at Roanoke Dodge. He will give you more than that for your Gen 1. Plus, he really understands Vipers. He would not try to give you such a little amount for your car.

Also, if you find something at Roanoke I could look at it for you as I only live 40 minutes away. John would put it on the lift for me and I would go over it with him and Dave his Viper Tech. Give him a call... You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been shopping my 06 red vert with 12k miles to the dealers for an 08.....to a dealer they only give low 40s and want low 60s for their 08s....wholesale or auction on mine and they want retail on theirs....***** aint playin dat!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been shopping my 06 red vert with 12k miles to the dealers for an 08.....to a dealer they only give low 40s and want low 60s for their 08s....wholesale or auction on mine and they want retail on theirs....***** aint playin dat!

Do you guys really expect any different from the dealer?? They're in the business of making money not giving charity. They don't make any money by buying your car from you for the same price they can sell it for, plus they have to store it on their lot until it sells.

It is a long time well known fact, that you only trade to the dealer for a quick easy transaction. If you want the extra money on the sale of your car, then you gotta do the extra work the dealer would have to do, and sell the car yourself. Which in todays economy and this time of year, can prove to be a lot of time and labor for a Viper. So you have to make the choice on whether you sell your car for less to get the car you want now. Or sit on your car for another 6months to a year and maybe get a little more for it, then have to wait for the right car to come along again.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never traded in a vehicle, but you dont have to pay the taxes on the trade-in value correct? Say if you are buying a car for 50k, and your trade-in is 20k, you only pay the taxes on the remaining 30k. Is that correct?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never traded in a vehicle, but you dont have to pay the taxes on the trade-in value correct? Say if you are buying a car for 50k, and your trade-in is 20k, you only pay the taxes on the remaining 30k. Is that correct?

That is correct.

Also, I usually trade and I usually get close to the price I am looking for because I am patient, willing to leave, sit for hours, wait a few weeks, etc. In other words, negotiate. I'm not an **** about things, but I have a price in mind and I stick to it. I recently made a deal on an Acura. In the beginning of the discussion we were $5,000 apart on the deal and they said it was the best they could do. I left in a nice matter of fact manner. A week later they called with another $2,000 off. I said I would look at it again. I stuck to my numbers. Finally, they came down another $2,800 and I went up $200. So, lesson learned. They came down $4,800 off what they said was their best deal. This has happened numerous times over the years.

If you are not willing to do these things, you will not get the best deal you can most of the time (unless they have too much in the used car). Also, I have developed relationships over the past several years where the dealer knows how I like to deal and basically will tell me if it can or cannot be done on certain cars (in other words, they have too much into their car and can not meet my price). I understand completely and in some cases still made a deal at a slightly higher price if I really want the car and cannot find it anywhere else at a better price.

I can say this about John at Roanoke, the last couple times I have bought a car from him the price he came out with first ended up being the final price (this has never happened anywhere else). The deals were open, up front, and fair. As I buy cars in the future I will continue to go to John. He has earned my trust and business. Most other dealers around here I have to fight for a good deal (and I will do that or leave).

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I hold out for awhile, eventually there is a dealer that has had a car that theyve had for awhile and need to move or send to auction perhaps.End of the month is good,end of year is good due to taxs on inventorys etc.Also trading can mean several thousands of $s in taxes depending on the state.Problem exists with vipers is where the one you want is located....they never seem to be close to me so transport can be costly.It takes time and karma to come on the right car,dealer and location.I know some guys said get Car-fax but get Auto-chek too....Ive found it more thorough.Best thing is next to get a members grey hairs near it and eyeballs on it.....pictures dont always say 1000 words.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you guys really expect any different from the dealer?? They're in the business of making money not giving charity. They don't make any money by buying your car from you for the same price they can sell it for, plus they have to store it on their lot until it sells.

It is a long time well known fact, that you only trade to the dealer for a quick easy transaction. If you want the extra money on the sale of your car, then you gotta do the extra work the dealer would have to do, and sell the car yourself. Which in todays economy and this time of year, can prove to be a lot of time and labor for a Viper. So you have to make the choice on whether you sell your car for less to get the car you want now. Or sit on your car for another 6months to a year and maybe get a little more for it, then have to wait for the right car to come along again.

You asked for our opinion and we're giving it you........ If you don't mind losing about $7k in the deal and want the car that bad, then go for it. I personally wouldn't buy a 30k mile Viper sight unseen unless it was sold by one of the dealer sponsors on this site . As previously mentioned, you will save a few $$$ by trading because you only pay sales tax on the trade difference. These cars do come available from time to time so if I were you, I'd wait until I can find a buyer. Some dealerships also do what's called an "In and Out" in which you car is sold by the dealership to your prospective buyer and you still get the tax savings on your purchase. The sometimes charge a fee but at least you will still get the tax savings.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Trading in a car on a used car there is NO tax savings in the state of Ohio. Only when buying a new car. I just found that out about a week ago trying to trade in a M3 for a used cts-v. It ended up screwing up the deal because I had figured I would save a few bucks so I didn't mind the lower trade in value for my m3.after that I said screw it I'll just sell the m3 outright!

V

Venomiss

Did you buy the Viper?

Since you have been a Viper owner for a long time did you ever check out the VCA Arizona club?

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid more than $49k for mine (bought in Nov), but it had some nice mods with 13k miles, plus had the aero kit. Great looking color.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid more than $49k for mine (bought in Nov), but it had some nice mods with 13k miles, plus had the aero kit. Great looking color.

That VOI 9 car is one of my favorites. Was the Aero kit a manufacturer or dealer option or aftermarket ? I'd say your car was well bought at $49k.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a PREFIX option on 16 of the 100 VOI 9 coupes. Mine was #90/100. I paid more than $49k, but not a lot more. It was worth it considering how much the 1st owner sunk into the car, with the Woodhouse installed paxton, motons etc.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I did pick it up. They gave me a 1 year warranty and it was checked out by a certified viper tech. The rear tires were in surprisingly in good shape, although the pictures did look bad.
When they carfaxed my old car it showed it had been in an accident in the rear. Hence, the reason i decided to trade it in. Thanks for the tips fellas as I negotiated the warranty and had the vehicle inspected by a certified tech.